Interplanetary travel!

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by darksidZz, Mar 6, 2007.

?

I say...

Poll closed Mar 26, 2007.
  1. It's impossible! We'll never have the ability to!

8.7%
  2. It's not impossible! We'll have it eventually!

91.3%
  1. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Debate whether or not this is possible or if it's entirely beyond the scope of technology now or in the near future. I demand you answer!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. jumpercable 6EQUJ5 'WOW' Registered Senior Member

Yea, we'll have it eventually after some advanced aliens from another nearby solar system land and give us some more technical knowlege on how to make a flying saucer fly faster than the speed of light. But don't hold your breath on that happening to soon. Better yet, don't hold your breath at all.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

Google: Mars rover. Did it travel between planets? Answer; yes. Interplanetary travel succeeded.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

Yea, everyone should be voting yes considering its already been done.

Or was this question human specific?

8. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Well, I had trouble trying to decide what "ecentually" meant... The main problem is that by the time we get to another star system, everybody on the space ship would have cancer! The Earth's magnetic field protects us from most of the cosmic rays that are shooting around space, even in low Earth orbit. Even so, there are limits as to how long one can spend in, say, the international space station. If we are exposed to these rays for an extended period of time, it won't be pretty.

9. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

I mean, I could envision a point arbitrarily far in the future when this problem has been solved, but not any time soon...

10. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

IT IS VERY POSSIBLE.... BUT ALSO.... VERY EXPENSIVE...

BUT WORTH IT... IT WOULD be a good investment.

-MT

11. Singularity Banned Banned

There is one more way out, all u aliens on earth should be identified , thrashed and sent back in space without any space suits. Because u rascals are trying your best to stop us break the light speed barrier by mingling in our science and taking it in wrong directions where u make humans believe C is the limit.

And dont forget, Human race is fast approaching the [ENC]Singularity[/ENC].

12. draqon Banned Banned

just dream of traveling to faraway worlds.

13. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

It's good to see we have intelligent people contributing to the discussion.

14. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

So Einstein was...an alien?

I thought he was Jewish.

15. Singularity Banned Banned

Wasnt his brain genetically engineered by the aliens ? And hence the bulges and merges in his brain ?

16. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Space travel does not seem impossible, but it might never be as dipicted in typical SciFi literature.

FTL does not seem possible, so perhaps we might send out potential colonies which are never again contacted.

Perhaps we might send out millions of fertilized eggs tended by a small crew replaced as they age by allowing some of the eggs to mature into the next generation crew. The goal would be to finally arrive at a suitable planet with enough fertilized eggs to colonize it when they grow to adult humans.

17. orcot Valued Senior Member

wasn't there a point at the beginning of the universe where all mater travelled faster then c under extreme conditions?

18. draqon Banned Banned

FTL does not seem possible? yeah??? really? well so did ion propulsion did not seem possible, until Deep Space 1 probe proved it right.

19. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Interplanetary travel is certainly possible. Many space probes have been made to travel to other planets, starting from the early 1960's.

20. Singularity Banned Banned

Hmm, u r thinking it seems. Let me givya hints for creating new thread, here.

1) Oldest objects are 15 billion light years away. So how fast did they go away from us since the big bang ? and

2) how further away did they go away in that period since we see the light from its 15 billion years old position ?

3) How much universe is behind us from that point, ie. if we face that object and turn behind then how much back can we look ?

4) whats the distance between the two most distant object from us ?

5) How do u justify age of the universe to be 15 billion years since it mustav taken trillions of years for object to go that far apart.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  21. orcot Valued Senior Member

any direction in mind? The sun is 5 bilion years old and traveled around that 5-12 years and it travels around 1LY each 1400 years yust by circling around the milky way. That's abouth 3 571 428 571 LY while staying relative at the same distance from the galactic centre. And that's yust the sun the earth has traveled much further for obvious reasons and not taking that in acount that the galaxy also move and not taking in acount of etc.

Look I ones remember posting something on how it's inpossible to go in orbit of the earth.
    It was in the lines that the higher you get the less air their is for any balloon or propeller to get lift by, anyway it would take a theoretical plane infinite energy to reach orbit. A canon would somewhat work because it actually can get things in space but because of kepler's laws if the orbit is a circle or a ellips it wil always pas right through the earth so it would fall back down again. The point is you can't reach orbit it's inposible...
    then came rockets. With rockets it is possible to reach orbit but it's inpossible to reach c or go fasther then it, because of many reasons.
    So okay with the cannon it might not have been possible to get in orbit but if you aimed good enough perhaps you could get a slingshot or something from the moon baclk to the earth and perhaps reach it. And with rocket's it might be possible to go the long way to a star and perhaps take a wormhole along. But basicly I'm saying that rocket's the way we know them will proberly not be used for stellar travel.

22. phlogistician Banned Banned

I presumed the poll meant extra-solar planets, and not other planets in our Solar system, since travel to the latter is a no-brainer and will happen within the next 20 years or so (Mars).

Extra Solar planetary exploration though, just isn't going to happen. Not with chemical rockets anyway. I'll revise my opinion if and when technology changes.

23. jumpercable 6EQUJ5 'WOW' Registered Senior Member

Looks like Alpha Centauri is safe for the next 5,000 years at least. At least from us anyway.