12 month year at oldest observatory

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Billy T, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

The "Towers of Chankillo" (in Peru) is 2300 years old. It consist of 13 raised mounds of stones on a ridge line approximate as:

.___…___…___ .........
    /.....\/.....\/................ridge line with wide "Towers" on it.

where the lower "....." indicate the original top of the linear ridge (and the upper ones are there only as this forum will not allow multiple blank spaces) and there are 12 of the \/ notches that have the rising sun in them, during the course of the year. It is interesting (to me) that there are not six notches as during the year all but the extreme notches have the sun in them two days (twice annually, about 6 months apart) during the year. I.e. From one notch to the next is approximately 180/12 = 15 days, half our month.

The fact that the Earth's year is approximately 360 = 2x2x2x3x3x5 days long gives a lot of possibilities for the number of days in a month (month being defined as that greatest division of the year.)

We now have a month of approximately 2x3x5 days. Some are advocating the month have 2x2x3x3 = 36 days so there would be 10 months in the year*, but as we now know the year is more like 365 days long, these advocates want to have 5 days Holliday (6 some years) extra - that should help advance their cause!

Not much is known about the people who made this observatory long before the Incas or Mayas had theirs, but I bet their month was 15 days.

According to the science section of my news paper there is an article about the discovery of this ancient observatory in Science but I have not seen it. Anyone have more information?
    --------------------------
    *As there were before a couple of Roman emperors decided that they should have months named after them (July and August) - nice summer months I note.

PS if a monitor is reading , please either change the 12 to 24 in the title or add the "?" which I forgot at end of title.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2007