Quantum Chemistry

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by TruthSeeker, Mar 3, 2007.

1. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Any news on the frontiers of science?

How are the nucleus of the atoms hold together anyways?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

Sorry this is OT but I just wanted to say: Woohoo, a chemistry forum!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

It's called the nuclear force... about all I can say on that.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Also, and perhaps more accurately called the "strong force." It is produced by the exchange of virtual mesons. Mesons that, unlike the virtual photons of the electric force, do not "live" very long and hence the strong force falls to zero in extremely short distances. (It will not even reach across the nucleus of elements with large "A" (near end of periodic table) as the electrical repulsion of the protons can. - That is why as one goes up thru the periodic table (increasing A) there is a strong tendency for the atomic mass, M, to be more than twice A. -I.e. more than one neutron per proton is required to hold the nucleus together. (Also each proton is interacting with all the others.)

For example it is easier to split U235 than U238. etc. Uranium's A = 92. an equal number of neutrons and protons would have M =184. (235-184= 51 "extra" neutrons required for even uranium 235 to exist.)

Some of the above is not the "full story." For example, certain sub groups within the nucleus do form. (2protons + 2 neutrons make an alpha particle. - often alpha particles come out together in radioactive decays.)

8. Devin Registered Member

Confused by HO probability distribution

I have been plotting the wave equation for the harmonic oscillator, and I am confused by the results.

As an example, take the vibration of Oxygen diatomic (frequency of 1596 cm-1, reduced mass of 15.999 amu). Plotting the probability results in significant contributions at the micron scale (>1.E-6 m).

Have I used the wrong units conversion? Does this mean that the probability of finding the two oxygen atoms at a distance of a micron is likely? That seems very large to me.

Thanks,
    -Devin

Edit: Sorry, it was an incorrect conversion constant. The probabilities are now in the angstrom scale. Also, I apologize for not placing this in the correct thread.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  9. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

I was just thinking. If you have a fusion nuclear bomb, and you allow the particles to only just get close enough, which could create effective vibration energy. You could somehow magnify this vibration to create a vibration bomb, instead of an all out explosion, creating a controlled destruction. What you would arrive at is artificial Earthquake. Just a thought.