White Guilt-O-Rama: Virginia and Slavery

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Prince_James, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

There is no such thing as racial guilt or racial emotions anymore than theres a national guilt, unless you think America should feel national guilt for nuking the Japanese.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

What's useless and ridiculous, exactly?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

To apologize for something one has not been a part of? To put forth a "feel good" proposal in a state legislature, which would be political ruin to reject even if one had a reasonable reason to, because your opponent would say something ridiculous like "____ ____ hates black people and supports slavery"?

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Surely, an important part of reconciliation is to apologise for past wrongs that have occurred?

Governments do that kind of thing from time to time - even when the events did not happen on their watch, so to speak.

Addendum:

I just read the article. It says:

You don't agree with the 136 members of the House and Senate who think slavery was a matter worthy of an expression of "profound regret"?

I'm glad they are the legislators, and not you. You seem to have no sympathy.

9. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

It is not theirs to so apologize for the actions of their forebears, nor for being one of ten thousand societies (several still in existence) who have practiced slavery in the history of man.

It's meaningless.

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

They are not apologising for something they personally did. This is an expression of regret made to express a public sentiment on behalf of the people they govern.

But don't worry - you can disown the statements of your elected officials if you like.

11. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

Here is a strange question, why did you choose the name Prince James instead of King James? I just wonder.

12. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

And just what the fuck does it mean, exactly? Nothing! Not one single, solitary, fuckin' thing .....to anyone or anything.

And worse, anyone who'd take that kind of apology as anything but bullshit and a political ploy to appease the blacks in Virginia is a fuckin' idiot!!

Oh, goody, goody! Does this mean that all is well in the state of Virginia now? And all Virginians can sit back and breathe a sigh of relief that there'll be no more racial tensions over the issue of slavery?

Hey, what other past events can we apologize for? Gee, this could be fun, couldn't it?

I, for one, wish to apologize to y'all for the thievery of my great-great-great-great-great uncle in England who made his living stealing for wealthy travelers.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Baron Max

13. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

TimeTraveler:

I didn't write the Bible?

14. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

James R.:

Why should they regret that which they had no part of? Is it not a bit insincere? An absurdly self-pleasuring, "oh look at how good I am and love black people!" mockery of contrition?

15. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

My guess is that James, and people like him, are thinking that this little politically correct bulshit is going to instantly turn everything around ...and all the white bigots and racists are going to start loving the blacks, and giving them all jobs, and lots of money, and doiing away with poverty and ghettos.

VIRGINIA RISING FROM THE ASHES OF SLAVERY AND CIVIL WAR!

Baron Max

16. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

This is nothing but political theater. I'd be ashamed if any government representing me engaged in this kind of BS.

The really bad thing about it is that it adds to the culture of victimhood among african americans. Just giving them one more reason their life sucks and one more excuse not to get off their asses and do something about it.

17. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

It is just redundant and therefore useless.

18. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Well spoken all around.

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

So many Yankees have moved into the D.C. suburbs in northern Virginia, working for the federal government or its contractors all over the region, that the state is in political chaos. The unreconstructed Confederates still have entrenched power in the state government, but that won't last long. In the meantime they're having difficulty accomplishing anything except collecting taxes and paying their own salaries.

Northern Virginia is gridlocked with traffic because it doesn't have the freeways and subways that suburban Maryland has, yet it's grown just as fast as suburban Maryland. The state government "Down South" in Richmond just thumbs its nose at all the Yankees, black people, Indians and other immigrants in Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince William Counties. I think if it could, northern Virginia would secede and become a separate state like West Virginia did.

This resolution was an example of the growing power of the Northerners who are pushing the North-South boundary back from the Maxon-Dixon Line. There is a very significant second level of symbolism in it that you don't catch if you don't live in this (yucch) region. It's not about appeasing black Americans, it's about putting the Rebels in their place.

20. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Aww, geez, Fraggle, you could write up one of your long bullshit posts and try to make people beleive that shit don't stink, couldn't you!

Geez, I really get tired of your holier-than-thou, and know-it-all attitude, as well as your long, involved bullshit posts which seems to fool some people into actually think that you kow what the fuck you're actually talking about!

Baron Max

21. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

It means somebody gives a damn.

Appease?

No, but it could be a step in the right direction. Recognition that something was wrong with slavery is a great start, don't you think?

Your heartfelt apology for your ignominious ancestors would be appreciated by their victims, I am sure.

Your moral circle, I know, doesn't extend very far beyond yourself. According to you, you're only accountable for your own direct acts, and you live in a moral vacuum in which you never need to acknowledge how events in the wider world might affect your life or the lives of other people.

Please recognise that not everyone is as self centred as you are.

No. I'm not that naive.

Racist bullshit.

It can't be redundant if it has never happened before.

22. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

No, because AT THE TIME there was nothing "wrong" with it, it was perfectly normal and perfectly acceptable by society at large.

It's only in hindsight that we see it was "wrong" ...got the "was" part? That means past tense, something that happened in the past.

Thus, an apology for something that WAS, AT THE TIME, a normal activity is not only useless and foolish and stupid, I think it makes anyone who accepts such an apology someone stupid and foolish as well.

I don't think so. When I told them, they shot me in both legs and blamed me for all of their family's misfortunes and treatened lawsuits as well and personal vengeance against me and my family.

No, James, they're just more willing to lie than I am, that's all.

Baron Max

23. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Nice attempt at obfuscation there.

Are you actually arguing that slavery used to be good but now it's bad? Do you actually believe that?

Of course you don't. Stop wasting our time.