UNICEF: UK is the worst place to grow up

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Syzygys, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/UK_worst_place_for_growing_up/articleshow/1613969.cms

"UNICEF says Britain has the unhappiest, poorest, unhealthiest and most neglected children of the world's 21 richest nations, ranking at the bottom of 40 different indicators for child welfare, Sky News reported Wednesday."

"North European countries such as Sweden, Denmark and Finland ranked highest in child welfare, dominating the top half of the league table."

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Ah, there was already a post on this subject. Feel free to delete this thread...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

North European tards always hold the top positions on this kind of pools, freaking commies. I bet they don't even have free press or private property

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

No, those commies believe falsely in free press

Worldwide Press Freedom Index 2006

On number position:Finland, Iceland, Ireland, and the Netherlands.

USA is on position 53 together with Botswana, Croatia and Tonga.

http://www.rsf.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=639

9. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

America didn't have a relatively free press after the number of newspaper owners was drastically reduced in the 80's and 90's, but now, with the internet, the playing field has been somewhat leveled.

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Why the US is 53. And how freedom could not be affected by anti-terrorist measures to some, but in reality?

The United States (53rd) has fallen nine places since last year, after being in 17th position in the first year of the Index, in 2002. Relations between the media and the Bush administration sharply deteriorated after the president used the pretext of “national security” to regard as suspicious any journalist who questioned his “war on terrorism.” The zeal of federal courts which, unlike those in 33 US states, refuse to recognise the media’s right not to reveal its sources, even threatens journalists whose investigations have no connection at all with terrorism.

Freelance journalist and blogger Josh Wolf was imprisoned when he refused to hand over his video archives. Sudanese cameraman Sami al-Haj, who works for the pan-Arab broadcaster Al-Jazeera, has been held without trial since June 2002 at the US military base at Guantanamo, and Associated Press photographer Bilal Hussein has been held by US authorities in Iraq since April this year.

11. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

This is actually a good new topic. Bloggers almost report news faster then the old media, and they are not cenzored (yet).

CNN actually has a segment where they report from bloggers. What the hell? The internet is clearly taking away both the advertising money and the attention from old media...

12. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

i love the hit the Scandinavian countries has taken, they lost big in there little muhammed incedent

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  13. okayillgonow Productive-Industrialist Registered Senior Member

Yes they do, according to freedom house & many other human rights organizations.

I went to UK in 2006, & it was great! So, I don't know about all this stuff about UK being the "unhappiest, poorest, unhealthiest and most neglected children of the world's 21 richest nations."

14. Genji Registered Senior Member

I'd rather grow up in the UK than south central LA, or NW Miami, or Detroit, or southside Chicago, or New Orleans, or Appalachia, or Mississippi.

15. Genji Registered Senior Member

16. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Depends where you came from probably.

17. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Yeah, especially if you live near me.