CFR on Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Syzygys, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

A grim report from the rulers published today:

http://www.cfr.org/publication/12577/

Simon argues that any realistic reckoning for the future will have to acknowledge “six grim realities:”

> “The United States cannot determine political outcomes or achieve its remaining political aims via military means.”

> “Leaving U.S. forces in Iraq under today’s circumstances means the United States is culpable but not capable—that is, Washington bears substantial responsibility for developments within Iraq without the ability to shape those developments in a positive direction.”

> “The ongoing war has empowered and advanced the interests of the chief U.S. rival in the region, Iran.”

> “By siphoning resources and political attention away from Afghanistan, a continuing military commitment to Iraq may lead to two U.S. losses in southwest Asia.”

> “The Iraq war constrains the U.S. military, making it very difficult if not impossible to handle another significant contingency involving ground forces.”

> “The implosion of domestic support for the war will compel the disengagement of U.S. forces; it is now just a matter of time.”

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Genji Registered Senior Member

Finally some sense is leaking out. People that have never been to war shouldn't have the power to make wars. As Bush's wars clearly show the world. Stalemated in AFGHANISTAN!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Battered Iraq!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. zenbabelfish autonomous hyperreal sophist Registered Senior Member

"Policy Shift to Containing Conflict"

Too late - I think Pandoras Box has already opened. This thing can only spread now...although I wish for peace.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

The little jackals bark, yet the caravan passes. -- Arab proverb

Ain't real life a beautiful thing?

8. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Hey G-Man, I thought I would notify you I am putting you on Ignore for being an idiot. No hard feelings, you just never address the issues. Feel free to respond, but I will not see your "real life" ramblings.

See you in the next life!

9. Genji Registered Senior Member

I did the same. Works like insect repellent!

10. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Just one more opinion amongst the billions of other opinions. Ain't no more, and ain't no less.

Baron Max

11. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Ignore lists are the last refuge of the Ignoramus.

What a shock!

12. terryoh Registered Senior Member

You could say that, but his opinions are echoed by former and current generals, miiltary personnel, and politicians.

And based on the way things are going on the ground, the opinion might turn into reality

13. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Better bomb Iran quick. That will apparently solve all the problems.

14. orcot Valued Senior Member

yes and afther Iran comes North Korea... then syria... then china... then Belarus... then Saudia Arabie... then antartica those damm pengiuns should stop pissing the world of and I'm starting to believe they are building weapons of mass destruction.

Maybe then the world be at peace

15. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

And those are just some more personal opinions ...nothing more, nothing less.

And it might not.

Just for fun ...how many such political opinions have actually become reality in the past history of mankind? How many doomsayers have there been in the history of mankind?

Baron Max

16. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

"Invading Iraq will be a disaster"

17. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

There were many who said that invading Europe during World War II would be a disaster, and all for nothing ...that Germany was no threat to the USA.

Baron Max

18. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

So? The point is that some are right some are wrong. Your "opinion" is that all opinions are wrong. So what category does the OP fall into? And havent we seen that without WMD, Iraq was barely a threat to its neigbours let alone the US.

19. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

You are so ignorant. You have no idea what the CFR is, do you?

20. orcot Valued Senior Member

CFR can refer to:

Căile Ferate Române, the state railway of Romania.
    Canadian Finals Rodeo, the Canadian rodeo championships
    Campaign finance reform, a U.S. political effort to change the involvement of money in politics.
    Case fatality rate, the number of people who die from an illness as a percentage of the number who contract it.
    Certified first responder, a person trained in providing care for medical emergencies.
    Code of Federal Regulations of the United States.
    Combat Films and Research, a company dedicated to producing films about combat.
    Commander of the Order of the Federal Republic, one of the Nigerian National Honours
    Cost and Freight, an international commerce term.
    Council on Foreign Relations, a U.S. foreign policy think tank.
    Chicken Fried Radio, an internet podcast.
    Culdee Fell Railway, a fictional railway in the Railway Series by the Rev. W. Awdry
    Center for Forest Research, a research center interested in forest ecology and forest management.
    Also:

CFR Cluj is a Romanian football club.

21. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Oh I was thinking of Celestial Freedom Rulers....

22. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Complete Fucking Retards

Oh wait, thats the Government.

23. terryoh Registered Senior Member

Based on that, anything anyone says is meaningless then. Why do we act upon them? We shouldn't listen to anyone at all.

Let's sell weaponry to the insurgents, because it's only the opinion of the US miiltary and US government that it would aid the enemy. Only their opinion, and their opinion could be wrong.

Based on the casualty rates coming out of Iraq, I would disagree with you, because 90-100 US military personnel deaths per month is not an opinion. An emboldened insurgency that is utilizing better IEDs in the face of better armored US vehicles and an ability to bring down previously untouchable US helicopters are also not opinions.

Many have become reality. Many Western politicians were saying how communism wouldn't work versus democracy, and they were right. Many politicians were saying we weren't going to win in Vietnam, and we didn't.