Web based application

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by ismu, Mar 18, 2002.

?

What do you like?

1. PHP

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Perl

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Java (Servlet)

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ASP

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. Other (name it on your post)

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ismu ::phenomenon::. Registered Senior Member

What language do you prefer to use in programming web based applications?

Any reasons?

Personally I like to use PHP with MySql database. It's quite simple and have enough functions for my purposes. And almost all of paid hosting (and some free hosting) support it. But as script, it not compiled, so I hardly protect my source code (for products for sale).

My other choice is using Java, if i like to protect my source code. Unfortunately I found java can't give desired speed - yet-. And not many web hosting support it.

How about you?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

I'd suggest <A HREF="http://www.apple.com/webobjects/">WebObjects</A> for anyone doing serious (ie. paid) work. It's Java, and has a large class library (above and beyond the Java class library) and has a built-in Object-Relational mapping system (ie. Java objects are automatically mapped to databases -- no more SQL queries written out by hand).

Have you actually seen (or experienced first-hand) any statistics regarding the speed of Java vs. PHP? Being as PHP is an interpreted language, it should be slower than partially compiled Java.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I just love FLASH 5
    although it is not suitable for online databases and such, it's a hell of a promotion, show-your-self, WYIIWYG*
    software.

*What You Immagine Is What You Get

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2002
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ismu ::phenomenon::. Registered Senior Member

Yes, I did. But only for few cases. The most significant speed difference i've encounter while generating image on-the-fly directly from vector data stored in database. I'm trying to develop Web GIS (Geograpic Information System) here. I found that PHP_GD much faster than using Java object. I think that because of Java not fully compiled, so it's still run under Java-Runtime.

Last year, I've also face a problem with Java's garbage collection while developing middle-server application for mobile phone billing system (running under Linux), serving application running on IBM AS400. We got to modify Linux Kernel to solve the problem. (Perhaps, it have been fixed now).

8. Greg Bernhardt www.physicsforums.com Registered Senior Member

ASP and SQL Server all the way baby!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.