Dalits Going Christian

Discussion in 'Politics' started by IceAgeCivilizations, Feb 1, 2007.

1. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

I hear that the "lowly" Dalits of India are converting to Christianity in large numbers, a welcome relief from being told that they are scum, and really have no business being alive, so with the mostly Hindu government being pinched by the Muslims and the Christians, how will the nation respond to these pressures?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. zenbabelfish autonomous hyperreal sophist Registered Senior Member

Not just conversion to Christianity - that's just spin!
    The mass conversion is political and provides no supporting evidence for the existence of anything.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

"...... provides no supporting evidence for the existence of anything." Well said!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. UltiTruth In pursuit... Registered Senior Member

Money makes many things!

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

What's one more god in 330 million?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

The Dalit Christians reject all those gods, but at least they're allowed to vote, many in India still treat them like dogs however.

10. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Interesting, Sam, how you can make jokes about serious issues in your wonderful, glorious nation of India, yet be seemingly horrified about some minor problems in the US or in Israel. How can you be so blatantly hypocritical in front of so many people?

I also wonder about how many people are seeing you as an example of the Muslim Indian people? I know that after running into you, I see Indians in a much different light than before ...and it ain't necessarily a good light, either .....much thanks to you and your hatred of the US and your blatant hypocrisy.

Baron Max

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I'm answering the OP.

There's always room for change in India. Which is why we have repersentatives of all major religions and then some. If people can improve their lives, why not?

12. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Is that why there are people who are upset and demonstrating, and the cops are shooting them for doing so? Is that "representation"? If so, it's a bit different in India than elsewhere in the world, ain't it?

Improve their lives? Yeah, but the Indian police keep a tight rein on that, don't they? I mean, I'd call using deadly force against demonstrators a "tight rein", wouldn't you? Or is that Indian "representation"?

Baron Max

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You're absolutely right. If cops are shooting at demonstrators they should be prosecuted. They frequently are. And its not considered acceptable either, since you saw it in a newspaper, its obvious that its something Indians feel strongly about.

I do wish though that there was some way to change the thinking of people in backward areas quickly. One can only hope that education will lead to a better acceptance of the Dalits. Either that or their large scale conversions will force people to reassess their place in society. It is a shame that so many parts of India are still cut off from education.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  14. zenbabelfish autonomous hyperreal sophist Registered Senior Member

You show your sources first....you made the opening statement!

15. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

And the same issues are facing the Palestinians. Yet you concentrate your efforts of propaganda on the Palestinians instead of addressing those same deficiencies in your own nation of India. Why?

I can only consider it a form of personal hatred. And then the question arises, .......why? Why are the Palestinians so important to you, while your own people are suffering much the same problems? Why?

Baron Max

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I don't think one needs to choose between the two.

Is it impossible to feel the same way about all people who are oppressed?

Why would it be personal hatred? If you were standing in front of a Palestinian/Indian child and he was shot should it matter that he is Palestinian or Indian?

17. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Sam, why are the Dalits "cut off from education?"

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Not just Dalits. India is primarily an agricultural country and working off the land is hard. Most people are poor and would rather have their children working on farms than going to school.

Plus even though education in goevrnment schools is free and seats are reserved, many of these seats remain unfilled because many people in backward areas do not feel they need an education, they may be hesitant about sending their girls away to school, those with "family businesses" prefer to have their children following their trade.

Many may also be bullied by higher castes who fear they will learn that they are human and have basic human rights. Sometimes, they just cannot afford the extra costs associated with education. Many reasons.

But still we've moved from 12% to almost 76% in males and almost 55% in females in 60 years. Some states are better and have 100% literacy, others are slower to change with closed communities and tribal customs they are afraid to leave. Hopefully the promise of a better standard of living will help them to change.

19. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Should India make the caste system illegal, as a symbolic gesture that Dalits should not be treated like dogs?

20. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Do the Dalits have realistic legal recourse when they are discriminated against?

21. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

what do you fundies think of Non-Christians?

Do you love me?

22. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

You're going to Hell.

23. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Absolutely, some times more than others.