Libelous Wahabi Talk?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by IceAgeCivilizations, Jan 28, 2007.

1. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Insight Magazine claims to have the facts that Obama attended a Wahabi school in Jakarta, Obama denies it, so why wouldn't he sue Insight Magazine to "set the record straight," and punish those who supposedly libeled him?

In not taking legal action against Insight, Obama gives the appearance that he's not confident he would win a lawsuit, so he denies, and hopes it will all go away.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

CNN already traveled to the school and proved there is nothing extremist about it. The only ones making a big stink are those trying to impune his character.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

It'll never go away now. The damage has already been done. The best he can hope for is that people will forget it ....but there are those who won't let them forget. False accusations have caused many good people to fade into the distance ....I just hope the same happens with Osama Obama.

Baron Max

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You hope a false accusation takes down a respectable candidate for president?

8. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

No, no! Of course not!

I hope the accusation takes down Osama Obama ...who ain't no respectable candidate for president.

Baron Max

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Why don't you think Obama is a respectable candidate?

10. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

If it's false, then why doesn't Obama sue them, to be a man of Presidential timber who takes no guff?

In doing nothing but deny, he looks like he's hiding.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I thought you Republican types were against frivolous lawsuits.

12. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I don't like the kind of cigarettes he smokes!

I also don't like his smile ...and I think he's ugly, too.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Baron Max

13. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Frivilous? The "falsehoods" could ruin his Presidential aspirations, and the longer he merely denies, the more he looks like he's hiding.

14. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

If he makes an issue out of it, people will start to dig deeper .....and he sure as hell don't want that, now does he? If they do, we'll probably find out that he has some connection of some kind to the 9/11 terrorists!!

Baron Max

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Like anyone cares.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

This technique is as old as politics itself. Even if an accusation isn't true, make the bastard deny it.

Defamation law in the United States is much less plaintiff-friendly than its counterparts in European and the Commonwealth countries.

This is because the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States gives strong protection to freedom of expression, which arose from the tradition of dissent in the American Revolution. For most of the history of the United States, constitutional protections of freedom of speech were considered fully compatible with state defamation law. This changed with the landmark 1964 case of New York Times v. Sullivan, in which the Supreme Court of the United States announced constitutional restrictions to state defamation law. The court held that where a public official was defamed, the plaintiff had to prove not just that an untruthful statement was made, but also that it was made with "actual malice" - that is, with knowledge of falsity or with reckless disregard for the truth. The "actual malice" standard was subsequently extended to public figures in general, and even to private figure plaintiffs seeking punitive or presumptive damages.

So, the standards for proving libel in the US are rather high. Obama would have to prove that actual malice was intended, and that would be difficult. Furthermore, it would detract from the serious dialogue we need to have about our direction as a nation. It's sensationalist, low brow politics, and Obama is right to want to rise above it. That is what makes him a statesman.

17. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

So you trust CNN on this one.

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Perhaps you feel another investigative reporter would perceive more accurately the lack of extremist Islamic indoctrination at that school? Surely CNN would realize that others might follow up on their trip there, they have a reputation to uphold.

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Bush has actual ties to an extremist fundamentalist religious school, Bob Jones University.

2000 Election
    On February 2, 2000, George W. Bush, as candidate for President, spoke during school's chapel hour. [50] Bush gave a standard stump speech making no specific reference to the University. His political opponents quickly noted his non-mention of the University's ban on interracial dating. During the Michigan primary, Bush was also criticized for not stating his opposition to the University's anti-Catholicism. (The John McCain campaign targeted Catholics with a "Catholic Voter Alert," phone calls reminding voters of Bush's visit to BJU.)[51] Bush denied that he neither knew of or approved what he regarded as BJU's intolerant policies. On February 26, Bush issued a formal letter of apology to Cardinal John O'Connor of New York for failing to denounce Bob Jones University's history of anti-Catholic statements. At a news conference following the letter's release, Bush said, "I make no excuses. I had an opportunity and I missed it. I regret that....I wish I had gotten up then and seized the moment to set a tone, a tone that I had set in Texas, a positive and inclusive tone."[52] Also during the 2000 Republican primary campaign in South Carolina, Richard Hand, a BJU professor, spread a false e-mail rumor that John McCain had fathered an illegitimate child. (The McCains have an adopted daughter from Bangladesh, and later push polling also implied that the child was biracial.)

2004 Election
    Shortly after George W. Bush won re-election in 2004, Bob Jones III sent him a congratulatory letter asserting that the new President had "been given a mandate" and urging him to put his "agenda on the front burner and let it boil. You owe the liberals nothing. They despise you because they despise your Christ."[wikipedia]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

21. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

I hear that Fox ran with the Obama Wahhabi story and that Fox now claims the story was about Hillary Clinton's people starting the story. Win Win for Fox. They run a dishonest story against Obama and then change it into a story against Hillary. I don't believe that there is any evidence that Hillary's people are the source of this story.

Insight magazine is owned by reverend Moon as is the Washington Times. Moon is an enemy to anybody to the left of Atila the Hun. Are We supposed to believe people who hate all Democrats when they allege that they are getting there smear of OBama from Hillary? This is a double smear. Nixon did the same thing to his Democratic rivals in 1972. He paid to smear them while trying to make it apear that they were smearing each other.

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

FOXNEWS.COM
    Obama Debunks Claim About Islamic School

Note:
    McDowell and Associated Press reporters Ali Kotarumalos and Zakki Hakim contributed to this report from Jakarta, Indonesia

So it wasn't just CNN. Fox also ran the debunking story.

23. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Aww, I don't believe any of it!! CNN and FOX were probably paid off by the Osama bin Obama campaign officials!

Hey, ....maybe I can make that accusation and we can see where it leads, huh? Hell, I'm sure that there's some dirt in some of their lives, huh?

Baron Max