Maine Rejects Federally Mandated ID Cards

Discussion in 'Politics' started by w1z4rd, Jan 26, 2007.

1. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

"The State of Maine rejected the federally mandated ID cards passed by Congress. In a non-partisan vote the legislature flatly stated that they would not force its citizens to use driver's licenses that comply with digital ID standards, which were established under the 2005 Real ID Act. It also asked Congress to repeal the law."

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/07/01/26/0136221.shtml

Now this is interesting... what happens now? Can a state tell the gov to piss off?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Most federal mandates are tied to some kind of federal funding. Maine is probably risking it's highway funding by not complying. So long as they don't minding giving up that funding, they can probably tell the feds to piss off.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yes. I believe North Carolina told the feds to piss off in the mid-1800s.

All-out civil war ...it's the only viable solution. Each state will be asked to decide on which side they'll fight, then the war will begin.

Baron Max

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

You meant to say South Carolina Baron. South Carolina was first.

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The federal government has very little power over the state governments so long as they don't violate the Constitution. All they can do is refuse to give back the "tax" money they stole in the first place.

In the early years of the Civil Rights era the President sent troops to a couple of Southern and Border States to kick some Unreconstructed Redneck ass and integrate their schools at something better than "all deliberate speed." But even that was justified on the flimsy basis that they were violating the Constitutional amendment on equal rights for former slaves and their descendants.

I don't think they will do that over an issue of such arcane legality as ID cards.

9. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

Okay, now what about that law with Marijuana. Did not a whole bunch of states decriminalize it, and then federal policy over turned it? Or is this an easier issue for a state to say no on?

10. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Wow! Fraggle, you're really out of date, ain't ya'? I think you should do some more checking into that issue ....'cause you're gonna' be damned surprised if your position is as stated above!

Federal regulations spread far and wide over numerous issues, and exert tremendous control and laws in states. If nothing more than the national highway system, the interstate traffic system, trucking lisences and regulations, ...damn, Fraggle, the list goes on forever ....maybe longer!

Baron Max

11. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

baron, those are all examples of states' voluntary compliance.

12. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

I have not heard of anything in regards to a "national ID card".

As far as I am aware, there is no such thing.

13. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

It is funny, when people are bitching about national ID card. Privacy as individual vs. government at this time doesn't exist, so a national ID card would make absolutely no difference.

Right now the government can:

-read your email
    -check your spending, bank account
    -know what you read, rent or buy
    -read your snail mail
    -search your house when you are not present
    -what you carry when you travel
    -etc.etc

In other words: pretty much everything.

So really, who cares about national ID card at tis point?

14. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

I think these new ID cards carry radio identifiers

15. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I bet they don't. But right now you can be located by your cellphone, so what is the difference? :bugeye:

Also, that is the easiest to fool, just leave your ID behind...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

They`re doing it in Passports already :

From http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/05/real_id.html

and

from http://news.com.com/FAQ How Real ID will affect you/2100-1028_3-5697111.html

17. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

But the difference is that all the information you mentioned isn't linked together, they're all separate. A National ID will put all of your information into one little card, DNA, thumbprints, blah blah blah, you name it. Having all your information in one basket is dangerous, especially in regards to identity theft and other fraud.

The more, so-called "technologically advanced" something is, the easier it is to break or manipulate it. Hell, we get stories all the time of lists containing millions of people being stolen from a person's laptop thanks to everything being contained in one little thing. You need information spread out, not all in one basket. And the RFIDs they wanna put in em are a total joke which makes hacking even easier.. cause you can do it from afar, not even needing the ID card in the first place!

- N

18. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I understand that. State officials voluntarily comply with federal mandates in order to keep sucking at the tax teat. But the question is: What can the feds do to the states' officials if they refuse to comply? The answer is: very little. They assume that state officials are just as selfish and uncaring about their constituents as federal officials, and all it takes to motivate them is the threat to withhold program funds.

The feds can make life miserable for the citizens of those states, but that's nothing new. They send federal agents to bust up city- and county-licensed medical marijuana centers in California, but they haven't tried to imprison the officials who issued those licenses in accordance with state laws, nor the police who enforce state and local rather than federal laws.

People in our county have become so outraged over the CAMP (Campaign Against Marijuana Planting) helicopters scaring their livestock so they won't breed, that the sheriff's officers now refuse to ride along and show them the places to harrass. It's been nice and quiet and nobody in our county can remember the last time the feds did anything for us anyway. So far no federal officials have come to arrest our sheriff's deputies, which is very sensible since in a rural culture our guys would probably not hesitate to come out shooting and quite a few citizens would come running to back them up.

When the Wyoming highway department refused to go along with the 55mph/88kph speed limit on their miles of straight, desolate roads in the 1970s, the feds withheld their highway construction funds. No crisis occurred and the citizens of Wyoming are still, rightfully, very proud of themselves.

There are many school districts who refuse to go along with the "No Child Allowed to Go Ahead" policy, and all that's happening is that a portion of their federal funding is withheld.

19. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

"real Id" is the phrase to put in a google search. Or just click the link below.

http://news.com.com/FAQ How Real ID will affect you/2100-1028_3-5697111.html

"Starting three years from now, if you live or work in the United States, you'll need a federally approved ID card to travel on an airplane, open a bank account, collect Social Security payments, or take advantage of nearly any government service. Practically speaking, your driver's license likely will have to be reissued to meet federal standards."

States will issue something like a drivers licence to people who don't have drivers licences.

"What's going to be stored on this ID card?
    At a minimum: name, birth date, sex, ID number, a digital photograph, address, and a "common machine-readable technology" that Homeland Security will decide on. The card must also sport "physical security features designed to prevent tampering, counterfeiting, or duplication of the document for fraudulent purposes."

Homeland Security is permitted to add additional requirements--such as a fingerprint or retinal scan--on top of those. We won't know for a while what these additional requirements will be."

20. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

But seriously....

So you are saying that we can put a robot on Mars, but can't match a SS number with a name with emails and phonenumbers, library numbers,checking accounts?

The point is, if the government wants to know right now ANYTHING about you, it can. National ID or not.

Not to mention most Europian countries have some short of national ID card already. They seem to be fine with it. It is the missuse of data (what is already happening) what the problem is, not the aviability/possibility of it.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  21. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

From Wiki:

Countries with compulsory identity cards

According to Privacy International, as of 1996, around 100 countries had compulsory identity cards.

The term "compulsory" may have different meanings and implications in different countries. The compulsory character may apply only after a certain age. Often, a ticket can be given for being found without one's identification document, or in some cases a person may even be detained until the identity is ascertained. In practice, random controls are rare, except in police states.

[edit]
    Countries with non-compulsory identity cards

A number of countries have non-compulsory identity card schemes. These include Australia, Austria, Canada, Finland, France (see France section), Iceland, Sweden, Switzerland.

In the European Union identity cards meeting an European standard can be used by European citizens as a travel document replacing passports.

[edit]
    Countries without an identity card system

A number of countries do not use identity cards to verify identity. These include Australia, Denmark, Ireland, Japan, New Zealand, Norway, and the United States.

While India does not currently use them as well, it is currently piloting an ID card system, see MNIC - Multipurpose National Identity Card (India)

22. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

My point wasn't about the government, but identity theft/fraud.

- N

23. Thomas "God is a Dick"- Me Registered Senior Member

No the RFID chip is part of the legislation