Land grabs in Palestine

Discussion in 'Politics' started by GeoffP, Jan 26, 2007.

1. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Fooled you. Different kind of land grabs this time.

Anyway, Sam and I have been fencing about the issues of Trojan arguments and sneaky Greeks lately; I recently posted a blurb about CAIR-Canada's er..."noble" attempt to silence an ex-terrorist speaking about the politics of hate, and since then Sam and I have been firing half-hearted shots across each other's bows as if attempting to win the argument through sheer pithiness. (I note that, as of this post, I am in the lead.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

At any rate; our issue isn't really about whether such attitudes exist in the islamic world. No - rather, it's about whether such attitudes are codified in islamic law, and society. And it has been - it is - my contention that they are, indeed, and that the cooler heads and clearer hearts of Samwise et al. (Zak may take a bow) are perhaps rarer than what is considered to be the more "radical" or "extremist" view. I think it was Seneca (?) who said that the depravity of a society may be judged by the number of laws it has - and to which I add, the way in which its laws are designed to operate:

Ah, that modern rub. You don't like dhimmitude? Well, our laws are self-evidently just - it says so in this book, see? - and so you must clearly be a collaborator.

And you know what happens to them.

And here I thought that all islamic intolerance sprung from the existence of Israel; yet other communities besides Jewish ones must suffer, it seems.

Of course, it could be argued that such a gang could be of any class, and that their preying on Christians was merely incidental. Of course, Christians already form a minority within Bethlehem - and can anyone honestly imagine the authorities tolerating a Christian gang stealing land from muslim citizens for more than five minutes? No, I thought not. This is what a bimodal standard of law and justice get you: exploitation, not "protection", except perhaps in the racketeering sense.

Again: a bimodal standard of justice. And yet educated people - even on this very forum - defend sharia and mock the existence of dhimmitude. But in fact, such a cavalier attitude is easy to maintain - so long as it's not your own head in the dock.

There is no equity in a system that provides "protection" through institutionalized discrimination; where rights spring not from equality before a common law, but out of the sufferance of their superiors. There is little doubt as to why the complaints of Christians in muslim Bethlehem are not being taken seriously (although I'm sure Mahmoud is going to get right on that

); the twin codices of sharia and dhimmitude dictate that no one is required to do so.

Exploitation inevitably results.

Read it all.

Best,

Geoff

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So how are the Christians treated by Israelis in the West Bank?

PS There are Christians in Palestine!?!?!?!?

Where did they go?

More:
    http://www.antiwar.com/orig/cook.php?articleid=10297

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

when will day come and all the middle east keeps to middle east?

as for christians in West Bank...none blew themselves up...so they must be treated well...zionism is similar to christianity anyways...

yawn...zionists...terrorists...islamofascits...Good Grace go away evil ghosts...

p.s. geoffP is ur new follower/bf? what happened to outlandish?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Perhaps not blowing themselves up, but supporting those who do.

and...

8. draqon Banned Banned

were all people go...

...anyways they went to Lebanon from Israel...

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Not ALL people...
    http://www.thewitness.org/archive/mayjune2003/ateek.html

An interesting aside:
    http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?ItemID=7417

10. draqon Banned Banned

11. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

An interesting opinion piece; yet, an opinion piece.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I would think the "opinion" of educated Palestinian Christians as reflected by this:
    is not insignificant to your OP, especially when you use a piece by KHALED ABU TOAMEH who is a mouth piece for right-wing zionists and trotted out as frequently as Walid Shoebat.

Jonathan Cook too is a freelance British journalist who stays in Israeli Arab Nazareth and is as "on the spot" as Toameh.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

More "opinions"
    http://www.forward.com/articles/fight-erupts-in-dc-over-plight-of-palestinian-chri/

14. Mr.Spock Back from the dead Valued Senior Member

15. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

But, of course, it's not just the PA: it's a societal thing, a veritable "tragedy of the commons" where muslims can exploit local Christians at will - because, of course, Christians (to say nothing of Jews) are second-class citizens ("dhimmis") at best. To whom do they have recourse? They are kufr.

And, frankly, relying on a PA spokesman...well.

Bizarre comparisons aside, I can certainly imagine that the present-day PLO would take that position. But it is not merely that the legal system considers non-muslims as lesser beings, but that the society itself possesses the same opinion - hence, the aggression. There is no real equality, but merely some arcane and much-interpreted mumbo-jumbo basing human rights on an utterly arbitrary religious observance. And, too, the first thing on Hamas' agenda is - by their own admission - increased sharia, whatever the PA or PLO might say.

Again: they seek to impose sharia. And there are clearly cases where discrimination indeed does occur - the post at the start of the thread actually indicates abuses of authority by the PA. So where does this leave Safieh? "Christians are overrepresented in the Palestinian political system and in the P.A."? On what grounds, and under what relevance? It's already been shown that PA officers abuse their authority against religious minorities; Safieh wishes us to believe that them damn dirty kufr riddle his organization?

Please.

Regards,

Geoff

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Silly me, I thought the people most affected had a right to an opinion as much as I do.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

And of course, the opinions of a right-wing Israeli Arab obviously are much more relevant than those of Palestinian Christians.

18. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Sam is a propagandist ...giving out her/his own opinion could be detrimental to her/his job as a propagandist! If she/he continues to provide googled, bullshit opinions of others, then she/he is completely free of blame or fault. See? And she/he can go on dishing out propaganda for the people who pay her/him to do.

Baron Max

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Bet you run around in circles all day with your opinionless self.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

More irrelevant "opinions"

http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/content/news_syndication/article_050330israel.shtml

21. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

No, Sam, I have my opinions about lots of things, but I'm experienced enough to know that I'm not fully knowledgeable about all of those issues. But unlike some people that I know, I try not to spout them all the time, or to force them onto others.

How's your job as a propagandist doin' these days? I've noticed that you've slowed down some in posting all those foolish links. Are your employers becoming worried about your methods and talents?

Baron Max

22. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Everyone has opinions, Sam ........why do you feel qualified to make judgements about which opinions are "relevant" and which are not? Don't you think that just posting those that you feel are "relevant" tell us all a lot about you and your own opinions/thoughts on the subject?

Baron Max

23. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

The question is rather whether one ought to accept the word of the PA and the PLO in the face of other testimony. Safieh represents his organization; he is not some disinterested individual a-walking down the street. Dumping him (and Toameh) into some partisan category to suit your argument does not do it justice.

Best,

Geoff