Assuming global warming isn't a natural occurence whos causing it?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mooseguy, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Mooseguy Registered Member

How do the hippies in California explain this?

Top 5 Most Polluted U.S. Cities
    1. Los Angeles (Long Beach, Calif., Riverside, Calif.)
    2. Bakersfield, Calif.
    3. Fresno-Madera, Calif.
    4. Visalia-Porterville, Calif.
    5. Merced, Calif.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

Mooseguy, It seems you know nothing about hippies and nothing about California. Those are not Hippy cities, but that does not matter because geography and wind patterns explain the smog in those cities. LA is the ultimate car town. Car exhaust tends to stay low in the atmosphere. Air that stays low does not get pushed out of the Los Angeles metro's valleys. The other four cities are all in the Central Valley. Their smog also does nto get pushed out by wind.

Bakersfield is a Republican city. I can't figure out why Bakersfield is Republican while Fresno is Democratic because the two cities seem like they should be the same as each other. Is their anybody from the Central valley who can explain that to me?

Meanwhile New York and some New England states are winning law suits against Mid Western Coal burning utilities for poluting the air on the East coast. Pollution follows the prevailing winds.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. okayillgonow Productive-Industrialist Registered Senior Member

I answer this question in 1 simple sentence: pollution caused by the people.

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Okay, apparently there are still some people on SciForums who missed the twenty or so previous posts in which I informed you that the polar ice caps on Mars are also receding. There are no humans up there to blame it on.

"It's the sun, stupid."

The sun is getting hotter. It does that, you know, it's a gigantic nuclear furnace and nobody is minding the thermostat.

This doesn't mean that we should not try to mitigate global warming before it irreversibly destroys our ecosystem, and that includes reducing greenhouse gases and all that stuff. It just means that we should stop blaming ourselves.

Shit happens. Cosmic shit happens cosmically.

If you're one of the majority of Americans who spends your entire workday huddled over a computer and talking on the phone, and you also happen to have both of those things at home (I guess you've got the computer), tell your boss that you're going to start working at home to save the planet. Commuting accounts for more than one fourth of America's petroleum consumption and it's got to be one of the stupidest activities that human beings ever invented.

9. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

If global warming is caused by people why is Mars experiencing global warming?

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/mars_ice-age_031208.html

"Odyssey is giving us indications of recent global climate change in Mars," said Jeffrey Plaut, project scientist for the mission at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/solarsystem/mars_snow_011206-1.html

In fact, Mars may be in the midst of a period of profound climate change, according to a new study that shows dramatic year-to-year losses of snow at the south pole.

10. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

How could humans have caused the same/similar warming trends in Earth's past history before humans even existed?

Baron Max

11. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

Global warming on Mars is entirely different. Mars has a incomparable atmosphere.

12. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

Um, with relative ease, apparently!

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The proposition is the humans are causing unprecedented global warming on Earth due to their production of greenhouse gasses.

The principle of greenhouse warming in general is natural and does happen on other planets.

14. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Sorry to ring in so late. I'm in Modesto in the Central Valley. The CV is a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig place. Fresno and Bakersfield are next-door neighbors like Pluto and Mercury are next-door neighbors. The people who settled in the two towns are easily as diverse as anywhere. Modesto is largely Republican while genuinely next-door Ceres is Democrat. It's just a matter of who gets elected.

15. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

We did put a robot there....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

By the way the thawning permafrost in Siberia sure will speed up things...

16. Genji Registered Senior Member

Farting chipmunks.

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

18. Genji Registered Senior Member

These aren't 'hippie' cities. Not one of them. Earth to Moose: There aren't many real hippies left. Jonestown got rid of the last of em! My list of most polluted is Cleveland, Detroit, Houston, Memphis, Baltimore and New Orleans.

19. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

What other cities in the world are severly polluted? I hear Mexico City is pretty nasty, air-quality-wise.

20. Genji Registered Senior Member

Yes. Also Beijing, Mumbai, Shanghai, New Delhi, Sao Paulo, Dhaka, Chennai, Manila and a few more.

21. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

Hey All

i have to agree with Ol' Maximus and the Buffalo.

Global warming and climate change may be happenign but their is fuck all we can do about it. All these bullshit policies are just a way of the governments extyracting money out of through fear!!! Just cos their incomptent in managing the nations books they have to find more ways to fuck us over to cover the short comings they waste.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    take it ez
    zak

22. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

eh...detroit isnt so bad.
    new orleans has weird air, though.
    houston has a blanket of smog in the summertime (the only time ive ever been there).
    cleveland..i never noticed.

23. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The primary cause of global warming is surely a fluctuation in the sun's energy output, as shown by the fact that the polar ice caps are also melting on Mars. The sun is a big nuclear furnace and there's no one to fiddle with the thermostat. Nonetheless, our own effect on the planet's temperature is significant. If we could mitigate it we might be able to prevent the calamity which is predicted by a lot of scientists.

I share the skepticism that these same people who were predicting a new Ice Age forty years ago can accurately predict the weather more than four hours in advance. But I am more than skeptical of the claims that global warming is predominantly our fault. The sun is bigger than all of us and it has clearly done this before.

Still, this is a pretty dire scenario. If we can't tell if the prediction is valid, some very astute risk analysis is required. If we curtail our energy consumption and the world survives, we'll never know if we played a role in its survival or it would have happened that way anyway. If we don't and irreparable damage is done to the ecosystem and our place in it, it will be small comfort to say, "This was just bad luck, the numbers said it was a highly unlikely outcome."

I disagree with your premise that there's fuck-all we can do about it. But like most Westerners I'm not looking forward to making adjustments in our energy policy quickly that we have not even been able to do slowly. The consequences of that to our civilization may rival the consequences of the hypothesized meltdown.