Why not partition Iraq down Sunni and Shiite lines?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Hurricane Angel, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Hurricane Angel I am the Metatron Registered Senior Member

Yes it involves mass exoduses of people, but it's the best solution to stop the civil war.

Plus, America can supply and train the west, and the Russians/Chinese can supply and train the east ==> MONEY!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Great, another Berlin Wall. What a way to promote democracy by doing a 180.

And what about the Kurds?

- N

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

They can sit on top.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

With flamethrowers.

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

What about the oil fields?

9. te jen Registered Senior Member

There's already a de facto partition. The question is whether the surrounding countries (Iran, Syria, Saudi) can come in and take control of the situation in their zones without coming into direct conflict. I also wonder whether a forced migration (like the one that occurred when India partitioned into Pakistan and Bharat) will be required to complete the sectarian divide.

Kurdistan is also a de facto reality. The Turks are almost certainly not happy about this, but if they want EU membership, they cannot crack down on the Kurds. Iran and Syria will also have to accept the loss of some territory if Kurdistan is to attain its traditional borders. The dismemberment of Iraq would probably give these countries ample compensation for loss of Kurdish territory.

The Americans are the wild card. It seems to me that the U.S. could accept the situation and try to exert as much influence as possible on the outcome. Accept that there is going to be a three-state solution, Kurdistan, Sunni-stan and Shia-stan, for lack of better names. Maybe even link it to the establishment of a Palestinian nation, too.

10. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Another Palestine in the Middle East, no thank you.

11. Genji Registered Senior Member

It'll likely happen since the war on Iraq has successfully splintered the country. Expect not one Islamic fundamentalist government but TWO. One Sunni one Shia. Both will be extremists and hate eachother. War between the 2 will halt all lusty talk of oil exploitation by the West yet again. Moderates in both camps will flee, a brain drain, just like what's happened with the Palestinians. The only ones remaining are the ones that cannot afford to leave or are prohibited from leaving. The big ME battles aren't even here yet.

12. Hurricane Angel I am the Metatron Registered Senior Member

Well when the world was aligned into east and west, everybody knew who the enemy was. Now things are not so clear. It's annoying.

13. Genji Registered Senior Member

We were all safer inside the Cold War.

14. Genji Registered Senior Member

The Sunni "Iraq" will align with the Saudi Wahabbists, the Shia "Iraq" will side with Iran's most extreme fundamentalists. Bush's legacy will be a truly painful one. Can anyone say 10 more years of war and $8 a gallon fuel prices?? And an America drowned in debt will be eclipsed by China. Americans will be making cheap clothes for Chinese.

15. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

So, Hurricane Angel, you propose we carve the Middle East to our liking?

The West has done that in the past. I remember Fraggle making a post about it once. Hasn't it always just ended up making things worse in the end?

I say we not do it. Besides, we may very well end up simply replacing an intranational war with an international one.

16. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

The India /Pakistan partition was very brutal. Wouldn't want a repeat for Iraq, but I am not sure it can be stopped.

17. draqon Banned Banned

the imaginary wall will crumble before a drop of concrete will ever touch the foundation of the partition wall.

18. plane evolution Registered Senior Member

Think it is to late now but before the invasion a plan to divide the place into three semi autonomous states may have be useful.

The goal would have been to end up with a federation of three states along the lines of the USA with its 50 or Australia with its 6.

Disparity of wealth may have been against the plan but assimilation of Iraq into one needs as much recognition of its parts as it does its whole.

19. draqon Banned Banned

that wall will have to be built from solid titanium...at least 10 meters wide.

20. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Best to let Iraqis sort it out for themselves, in the long run.

21. chuuush Registered Senior Member

Well, as a person who lives in the mid east I suppose partitioning of Iraq are very simplistic seuugestion. Here the political analysts are divided into different groups the most outstanding of which are: one group believes that the existing situation in Iraq is an sign that The bullies in the U.S. are in an unwanted situation in Iraq and Afghanistan and losing power and control as well as credibility due to a stupid understanding of the mid-east, while the second group argues that these are pre-planned acts on behalf of the U.S. and its closer-than-ally, Israel.

My own idea, this game is far bigger than it appears to be and the target is to disrupt no only Iraq, but also its neighbouring countries, Turkey, Iran and Syria and maybe Saudi Arabia, in the first phase and then spread it to all over the middle east so a system of mayhem will allow for the mid-term and long-term neocolonial policies to be established under the fake name of democracy and human rights. There two main objective: giving more land for aggression and brutality to Isreal and have the say over the natural resources of the region. Even countries like Turkey are under threat now, and they clearly understand it and areb worried about it beyond imagination, so a day may not be far when we see a phsyical conflict between the U.S. and its allies on one side and countries like Turkey and Egypt on the other.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Why do you believe this?

23. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Or, even worse to the minds of some, actual democracy and human rights.

Clearly a catch-22.