Doom not responsible for US tragedy

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Red Devil, Mar 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

Found in a UK site - Freeola.com. Web posted on 8/3/02 In a recent court case a US judge ruled that Doom was not responsible for the Columbine High School massacre.
    The family of a teacher killed in the Columbine High School tragedy brought the case to court. According to the family, video games were the reason that the gunmen Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold when on the rampage at their local school. The court case named Activision, Sony Computer Entertainment of America and Doom creators ID Software as the companies behind the problem. One of the prosecutions main points was that one of the gunmen used a shotgun in the incident, that he called 'Arlene', the name of a character from Doom.

However, District Judge Lewis Babcock threw the case out of court on the grounds that the producers of video games could not foresee the future events that occurred at Columbine High School. Although it's not over yet, as the lawyer representing the widow of one of the dead teacher said they would be appealing against the decision.

Comment: The reason this is in this particular place is that it deals with computer games and gaming. The person responsible for this tragedy is the father of the kid who let him access to guns in the first place. As with most of the USA - kids are more influenced by parents than TV or Video Games. Stricter upbringing could have prevented this disaster. As a member of a relatively gun free country (yes we do have gun crimes and they are on the increase) I cannot understand why the American Nation as a whole is so obsessed with guns. This "tradition" approach is a load of rubbish - its like saying every american indian has the right to carry a spear - tomahawk - scalping knife - whatever whereever he goes - all very very silly.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. thed IT Gopher Registered Senior Member

Sheesh

By the logic of the of the plaintiff I should be a screaming, murderous serial axe killer.

I've played Doom, Unreal, Half-Life and Quake for many years, including LAN games. I've played RPG's for nigh on 20 years. I've got H.R. Geiger posters about the house. Hardly the profile of a father of 3 with an MPV and fulltime professional job.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

thed

Me too! I have these and others including Return to Castle Wolfenstein where I run around 26 levels killing german's 'n zombies with equal gusto! I am neither psychopathic nor dangerous; neither are my children! One of my daughters grew up collecting "monsters" instead of "dolls" and she is probably the sanest amongst us - and she's mad!!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. thed IT Gopher Registered Senior Member

Red Devil

You remind me of the lyrics of a song you probably know,

Generals gathered in their masses
    Just like Witches at Black Masses
    Evil Minds that plot destruction
    Sorcerors of hells construction

8. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

Ah Yes!

Black Sabbath indeed!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.