String Theory in a nutshell....

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by icube_n, Mar 11, 2002.

1. icube_n Registered Member

I keep hearing about string theory. I am a high school sutdent and have a understandable knowledge of The Theories (special/general) of Relativity and would like to know more about this newer theory that "would drive einstein nuts". I figured I might as well ask the sci community so...Please help me expand my knowledge... and don't worry about getting complicated, I can take alot.
    Thanks icube :Â)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. thed IT Gopher Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

What I don't understand about string theory is how, say, a proton could be made up of 3 quarks and a string at the same time. Are the quarks simply strings? But then a single string could not 'be' a proton right? Also, if the vibration of the string determines it's properties would it be possible to 'pluck' it a different way, instantly changing a quark into an electron and so on?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. thed IT Gopher Registered Senior Member

Xelios

I think (badly I know) that you are right. The general idea is the current standard model is too ugly, 3 generations of quarks and anti-quarks alongside the leptons. This does not explain photons or gravitons. By assuming a simpler structure, a string, you can generate all the above by the strings vibational modes in numerous dimensions.