Ego death and death metal

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by infoterror, Nov 20, 2006.

1. infoterror Registered Senior Member

Ego-death is a concept that psychedelics and zen monks alike discovered. In it, the person realizes they are one part of a giant system, and stop seeing the world through themselves. They see themselves in the world, but they see the bigger process first. Ego-death tends to lead to a transcendent state where one sees all of consciousness as a continuum, and becomes less afraid of d-y-i-n-g.

"Only Death is Real" conveyed a lot more than I had first established. This was a statement of ego-death: no matter how big you think you are or how important, death is more real than your visions, so you must accept nothingness. To accept nothingness is to cast aside the unhealthy parts of the ego and to give it context, so that the ego is a motivic force but only one of many on a planet. To see only death as real is to wonder what else can be real. The answer is right past the end of our noses: the world is real, and it's a continuum that renews itself, so it's worth working for. If you like life, you work to make it better. If you hate life, you deny the reality of the world and you go further inward into the self and its desires.

Ego death, death metal and black metal

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

How is "death more real"?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

I understand ego death, but that anus group, and your version of it, is a bit on the negative side.

You are very correct though. There is no self, it's all interconnected, always has been.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Cogito ergo sum.

8. infoterror Registered Senior Member

Then how can any one part be "negative"? Sounds like hippie ethic of convenience to me.

9. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

Negative, subtraction, self harm, self defeatism, self destruction. I know you like death and all, but can't you understand that some people like life? Basically the negative is the other side of the same coin. In the big picture, death and life are just forms of energy recyling. In the big picture, it's all about the state of the species, the planet, life.

It's not hard to understand is it?

It's got nothing to do with hippies, unless you are calling yourself one. It's got nothing to do with politics. It's all about perception, it's the same, you can view it as ego death, and I can view it as ego life, or as God, or as the world mind, or world soul, it's the same thing.

The difference is this, you are focused on death and not life. You seem to be focused in on the dark side. You are aiming for the void of darkness, the pits of nothingness, the deep and empty. You are focused on subtraction, multiplied infinitely until existance ceases in a flash we call death.

I'm interested in life, I'm simply not a morbid person, I have no interest in death, so death metal does not appeal to me. I like to focus on how to make life better for everyone, this is the force of addition, multiplied.

Energy is energy, yours just flows in a different direction. Why don't you tell me and the rest of us why you choose this direction instead of reverting to name calling, and hippifying ideas you cannot understand? I did not call you any name, so your first response is that of negativity, and it sorta proves my point to anyone who is reading our dialog. Now it's your turn to prove your point, and reveal in your own words, not using websites to help you, why you like the idea of death over the idea of life.

I understand, that many people hate life, and I understand that people who hate life, they have interesting views and perspectives, and their perspectives DO matter, and deserve to be heard.

So speak.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2006
  10. infoterror Registered Senior Member

Your problem is that you didn't read anything they said:

Extremism

Is a good start. Your false dichotomy of "loving death" and "loving life" is inapplicable: those who love life must also love death, and in doing so, must plan for a life as significant as possible.

Go back to church.

11. Tyler N. Registered Senior Member

2 worlds. The inner and the outer. I know the first is real, but not necessarily the second. Mabye this is all an elaborate dream. I choose to believe it isn't, but thats just arbitrary. In either case, I find the inner world infinitly more fascinating then the outer. The universe is cold and impersonal. Why is it worth working for a cold machine when what really matters to me is the mind? Not just mine, but others as well. I am not going to completly cast aside my ego and just work to make the world a better place. I am going to enjoy myself and celebrate life. I do feel connected to other people, but not to the world. I wan't life, and I will work for that. Does this make any sense?

12. infoterror Registered Senior Member

Yes, but I think it will change over time. The inner world reflects the outer, and vice versa. The difference isn't as much as we think. In fact, they're connected. Something about the doors of perception goes here

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!