what is jazz?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by NightFall, Nov 16, 2006.

1. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

over the last few weeks, sitting in half hour traffic jams on the way home from work everyday... clicking from station to station.... praying to the gods that i dont have to hear "ridin durty" ever ever again.. i found a new station..
    i THINK its jazz....

Its not the music you normally think of when you hear jazz.. its not the cheap mass produced tracks you hear in hotel waiting rooms and hallways....
    its a richer, less abstract sound.

I wanted to find more, so i logged onto launchcast, and tried to creat a new mood setting... and it asked me to select the catagories of music and i wanted to hear.. and i really didnt know what to select.. ive tried different combinations, and i just cant get a genre for what is it im listening to on the way home.. is it jazz? blues? something with a name ive never heard of?

what do you listen to?
    do you have samples?
    do you know what it is that im looking for?

oh.. and um, hi!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Welcome back.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Hi NightFall,

I hope you are well? Welcome back, apparently.

Jazz is shit.

##################

Take care,

red

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

I mean, what's the point in a 'music' that has no melody and no beat? It's like going "Oh, I know - I think I'll make a nice apple and blackberry pie, but - oh, wait! - I've got no apples and no blackberries! Hmm, what can I fill it with... Oh, I know - dogshit!

I saw this bloke in town the other day. He had a black cardigan on and a stupid little beard. He looked like he might have been into jazz. So I beat him up.

8. draqon Banned Banned

jazz is beautifull. I love smooth jazz. Its like dancing in different steps every other time. Jazz can also be though as a journey...that is never the same, and that is why I love it, having almost no repetitions and still forming beautifull melody.

9. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

nooooooo

this jazz does have a beat... you know the sounds that comes from a jazz trio playing low, rich, christmas music....

that is what this makes me think of it.. if all jazz is that plinky-plinky fast beatless noise.. then this isnt jazz.. but i dont know what it is..

every now and then theres words.. no all songs.. but some songs....

and thank you for the welcome btw.

10. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

YES!
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CnfRt-ymUf8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CnfRt-ymUf8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I don't like the whole song. Only the 2nd verse when Krazy Bone sings.
    Chamillionaire sucks.

I particularly like the remix.
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MJehVbe7Cxs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MJehVbe7Cxs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

11. draqon Banned Banned

lixluke...this isnt jazz...this is rap. Nice embedding of flash, thou, I have been dying to learn how to do that.

12. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Which is better between the original, and the remix?

This topic is not really about jazz. It's about the jazz type music from the radio station that NF cannot seem to categorize. I have heard it too, and eager to know what type of jazz it is.

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

A musicological definition of jazz is simply a style of popular music structured around syncopated rhythms (accented beats in unexpected places), a blues modality (a major scale modulated by sliding flats on the third and seventh note), and improvised performances.

Ragtime was arguably proto-jazz. It is intricately syncopated and performers often improvised, but it did not use blue notes. Listening to early jazz you can hear some continuity from the ragtime style. The blues itself, which in its early days was often sung a capella without a steady rhythm, is obviously also a progenitor of jazz. To me, some of the earliest jazz sounds like an experimental mix of blues and ragtime.

Specific styles of jazz evolved, notably Dixieland, swing, bluegrass, bebop, rhythm and blues, and the "hot" and "cool" jazz of the postwar era. Once the syncopated western swing and country shuffle beats came to define postwar country-western music, I call it, properly speaking, a form of jazz as well, although few of its hard-core fans would appreciate the designation.

Which brings us to rock and roll. With its signature blues modality (we joke that if you tranpose any rock song into Eb you can play it by just using the black keys), celebrated improvisations, and groups like the Rolling Stones who invent an entire new syncopated rhythm pattern once or twice a year, it is inarguably a style of jazz.

The evolution continues. Reggae is an offshoot of rock. Fusion is just that, a "fusion" of rock's electronic and percussive instrumentation, its loud, intricate, bottom-heavy rhythms and its verse-bridge thematic structure back into a more mainstream jazz style.

And after a hundred years of evolution of any culture, its connection to its original roots begins to fade. Rap is clearly a descendant of rock: pounding backbeat, funky syncopation, jet-engine decibels, raw lyrics about sex, parties and rebellion calculated to outrage non-fans. But with no melody, it doesn't even satisfy a purist's definition of "music." Fortunately hip-hop fuses rapping and singing together, maintaining its link to music and specifically to rock.

I don't know what kind of music you've been listening to. If it has a syncopated rhythm, a blues modality, and at least some semblance of improvisation, then it's jazz. Maybe it's a new genre like the many exploding out of the Third World. Or maybe it's just some folks who found a new groove.

Tell us more about it. Is it purely instrumental? What instruments does it use? Primarily electronic? Does it have a prominent rhythm like rock or R&B? Lots of percussion? Slow, frantic, pensive, moody, angry, happy? Folksy, industrial, spacey?

The "lite jazz" that you talk about hearing in elevators is still jazz (often a soft-rock fusion), just like the "corporate rock" of groups like Journey and Foreigner was still rock and roll and the "urban country" of Australians who have never seen a banjo or a steel guitar is still country music.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2006
  14. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

<embed allowScriptAccess="never" allowNetworking="internal" enableJavaScript="false" autoplay="false" showgotobar="false" showpositioncontrols="false" showtracker="false" showdisplay="false" shawstatusbar="true" src=http://home.comcast.net/~infinitycrops/moss.mp3
    </embed>
    click here to listen to a jazz tune

Last edited: Nov 17, 2006
  15. KingTriad Registered Member

jazz is great..get some miles davis, john coltrane etc..and enjoy

16. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

http://www.lounge-radio.com

Check out this station, they play nu-jazz, down tempo and space lounge, mosttimes it's just sublime. Sometimes but very rarely it's a bit muzak. Give it a chance.

17. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

http://www.lounge-radio.com/tune_in.php#

This link was playing a good one, and then it changed. The jazz described above is not the same. What is this called? Ambient?

18. Roman Banned Banned

I highly suggest Dave Brubeck Quartet's Take Five. Amazing album.
    Coltran's Blue Train, also fantabulous.

19. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

They play ambient, acid jazz, nu jazz, electro, downtempo dance grooves, remixes, chilled viby Brazilian etc. It's all very easy to listen to, very relaxing and gives you a ganja vibe without doing any drugs. But :m: would probably sweeten the experience even more.

20. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Miles Davis 'Kind of Blue' is the most accessible and coolest jazz album ever. Even now it sounds incredible and timeless. First released in 1952, the year I was born, and widely known as the birth of the cool, it just epitomises that whole era. Reminds me of film noir, black and white movies, New York by night, huge American cars and guys chain smoking and wearing baggy trousers.

21. Roman Banned Banned

Oops, my bad, the album's name is 'Time Out,' with Take Five being their superduper big hit song.

I'm not that big a fan of Miles Davis, to be honest.

22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Some jazz melodies are among the best known of all popular songs.

As for beat - you only think that jazz has no beat because you expect the drummer to set the beat. Listen to some jazz and see if you can work out which instrument actually sets the beat in jazz.

Are you confessing to a violent crime?

23. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Jazz is musician's music. Relaxing and sexy but goes right over my head. Especially when the double bass guy hits a wrong note on purpose and they all laugh like an inside jazz joke...I mean come on, that's just cruel.