Hydrogen.. Help Me A Bit!

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Tristan, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

Thats right. I need help. On hydrgen. Of course i know alot about it, but i could always use some more info. Why? Because it is a school science project. maybe theres something that I didnt know. Resources anyone? Help would be much appreciated.

Later
    T

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Ah, give me some clues here. What do you need to know about it?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Yeah, same here tristan, we're studying elements and stuff like that in my science class as well.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

Im A GoD! I Got 110% on My Algerbra TeSt! Im getting 105% as an overall grade =P

Well...... I need to know everything really. Except like the mathematical stuff. Like the Electron Configuration i dont need to know. Thats for next year when im having honors chemistry a year before I have to take it.

8. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Then I suggest chemelements.com. I think they're pretty good. Otherwise just google the word hydrogen in quotation marks. REMEMBER: Quotation marks ALWAYS help internet searches, ALWAYS!!

You don't learn the electron configuration for another year? Dudeman in only takes a second!! Look at your periodic table, look! The verticle numbers on the right, it should be I think one-two for hydrogen but I'm not sure. Unless, of course, you periodic table isn't as....extensive as mine is. Seriously, though, electron configuration is like, baby stuff.

(although I only have a B+ in my Physical [freshmen] Science Class!!)

9. thed IT Gopher Registered Senior Member

Two things

Look up the electron configuration of Hydrogen and use it to explain the Balmer and Lyman series.

That can then be used to explain how Cosmologists study large scale structure by 'walking the Lyman Alpha forest'.

Good stuff, mucho points.

10. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

Pollux V you mist understand me.. Look

Titanium
    For expensive tools

Atomic Number: 22
    Atomic Symbol: Ti
    Atomic Weight: 47.90
    Electron Configuration: [Ar]4s23d2

I have no idea what the bold large thing means.

11. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

That thing at the bottom isn't the electron configuration. EC's look something like this:

8<-Valence Electrons

12. Congrats Bartok Fiend Registered Senior Member

I honestly have no clue what this means:

- perhaps it is merely a code to describe the energy levels? If it is (which it should be, since I don't know anything else in an atom called 'electron configuration' than what Pollux already mentioned with the righthand column) then you should just disregard it and go back to good ol' Valence electrons, the stuff of life.

But back to that bold thing- I know that 'Ar' is the symbol for argon- the sum of the numbers is 29, which is not the amount of electrons in Titanium- I honestly don't think that's what they're asking you for so you shouldn't be all hung up about not figuring it out.

13. Congrats Bartok Fiend Registered Senior Member

14. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Tristan,

This should help.

15. thed IT Gopher Registered Senior Member

more than you want to know

At this site

Basically, it is a system to explain the electron shell configuratons and allowed transitions of each element. It is way above high school level, 2nd year University at least as you need to understand some QM theory.

16. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Each orbital shell also has regions given letters/symbols. These regions describe where certain electrons are most likely to be found. The regions have different shapes: a doughnut, a dumbell, et cetera. I can't recall the specifics, it's been quite a while since I read anything on that stuff. And even then I only looked at it briefly. Sorry.

17. Inka Cosmic Princess Registered Senior Member

Hiya, I don't know if this is any use but;

English chemist and physicist Henry Cavendish first recognized hydrogen gas as a distinct substance in London in 1766, he also described the composition of water as a combination of hydrogen and oxygen.

Its name comes from the Greek words "hydro" - meaning "water" and "genes" - "generator. So literally the generator of water. Hydrogen was named by Lavoisier.

Hydrogen atoms are the simplest+ lightest in our universe. Coz it is made up of a 1proton & 1electron. Because of its simplicity, it is believed by some that hydrogen is the root of all elements. ie All other elements are made from the fusion of hydrogen atoms/ions etc

When hydrogen escapes into the atmosphere, it is so light that it scatters immediately upward in the air (it’s 14 times lighter than air).

Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe, making up more that 92% of all matter. On Earth, it is the third most abundant element in the Earth’s surface, found in water and all organic matter. (N.B. Earth's atmosphere is not consistant with the universal average)

In its normal gas state, hydrogen is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and nontoxic, well different from every other common fuel we use.

Hydrogen burns readily with oxygen, releasing considerable energy as heat and producing only water as a by-product. When hydrogen burns in air (which is mostly nitrogen), some oxides(NOx, ) of nitrogen can be formed contributors to smog and acid rain, fewer pollutants are formed than when normal hydrocarbon fuels such as gasoline and diesel are burned. Because no carbon is involved, using hydrogen fuel eliminates carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, and does not contribute to global warming etc.

Deuterium gas (2H2, often written D2), made up from deuterium, a heavy isotope of hydrogen, was discovered in 1931 by Harold Urey, a professor of chemistry at Chicago and California (both USA).

I this any use?? If this insults your intellegence sorry, i'm not sure what level you want.
    Lv Ink x

18. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

Perfect

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

All though I know alot some of this stuff helps. Now the question is should I start my project? Or procrastinate a little more? hehe.

Thanks everyone!

19. Inka Cosmic Princess Registered Senior Member

Procrastinate!!

Teehee!
    Love Ink x
    Ps: how do i get a little picture by my name???

20. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Well, Inka (welcome to sciforums) go to the control panel and either edit options or edit profile, I forget which one. There is something to do with an 'avatar,' you have to find an image that isn't too big in file size and just plug it in. Sorry I couldn't be more exact...

21. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Inka,

Porfiry has added this sometime back to help with avatars. You are limited in size as to how big it can be. If you have a program to shrink a picture it can be of great help in getting it to size.

http://www.sciforums.com/f18/s/