Rosnet

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by invert_nexus, Nov 12, 2006.

?

Should Rosnet be reinstated?

1. Yes.

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. No.

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. Whatever.

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  1. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I happened to be perusing the ban list today and noticed that Rosnet has been permabanned.
    For SPAM.

I seem to recall him posting some threads that could be considered spam. I forget the titles of the threads, but they were all the same title and only contained links to another of the threads.
    Something to do with AI if I remember correctly.
    Leopold replied to the threads in his "Reported" fashion.

A couple of issues are at hand here.

One.
    It is not, in my opinion, kosher to permaban a member, especially a longtime member, without some type of warning or similar. I suspect that Rosnet was not warned for his action. I actually doubt that he even knows that he is permabanned as opposed to a temp ban.

Thus, I would request that in certain cases such as this, that warnings be issued before banning. Of course, these things must be judged on a case by case basis. A new member who is spamming in a similar manner might not get the warning. But, Rosnet was not a new member. Nor did he have a history of 'spam.

Two.
    The threads, if I recall the titles correctly, were actually quite witty and clever.
    They could be considered spam, in a way, but only to someone who was unable to see the deeper issue.
    A series of threads with no content aside from a vague intimation of artificial intelligence and self-referencing links...
    Get it?
    If not, then you have no right to pass judgment. Because the point is quite clear to me and I am sure that there are many others who can easily grasp what the point of the threads were.

Spam?
    No.

Bring back Rosnet.
    His banning was wrong.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Roman Banned Banned

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Ok.
    So he expected a ban.
    A permaban?
    I doubt that.

I still think he should be reinstated.
    Just my opinion.

As I said, his thread was actually an interesting statement expressed in an interesting manner.
    Unless, of course, I was interpreting more into it than actually existed. Wouldn't be the first time.
    I don't think so though.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. leopold Valued Senior Member

i sent rosnet the following PM:
    posters have been perma banned for spamming the board rosnet. thought you should know

in reply:
    Thanks! I was bored... It wasn't completely spam though... And the last link is actually completely legitimate. I didn't want to repost that post in there.

according to the temp ban by james rosnet was indeed warned about spamming.

the perma ban was by pseudo.
    rosnet was online a day or so ago, maybe he PM'ed james or pseudo and told them to fuck themselves or something.

8. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Hmm.
    So. He was temp banned then it was changed to a permaban?
    Well. Might be more going on than is apparent then. In that case, all bets are off.

As he said in his pm to you, it wasn't really spam.
    I didn't check out all the threads so have no idea what the 'last link' linked to. It's possible that the last link ruined the whole thing....

As I interpreted it, it was really quite ingenious.
    The perfect model of human cognition.
    A bootstrap process. Self-referencing links that create something from nothing. The content existing in the spaces between rather than in the open.

I think it would really be a shame for him to be permabanned for that.
    Even a temp ban would be shameful for such an ingenious display. James should be ashamed of himself. But, I forgive him as he is a physicist and the realm of cognition is a strange and mysterious abyss to him.

9. leopold Valued Senior Member

apparently so. the original ban was for 3 days, james even stated in the comments that it was for spam after being warned.

i seriously doubt if pseudo would make it permanent for such a minor offense.
    but you never know, and they are still "new" around here.

10. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

I think what we need is an explanation from the admins. This is the only way we're gonna know for sure what happened and why.

11. outlandish smoki'n....... Registered Senior Member

verite
    will you care if I'm banned?

12. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

rosnet shouldnt have been banned, the offense was so minor that she only needed a warning; a permaban is wayyy over the top

13. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Bump for great justice.

I kinda would. You're one of the fun people to have around.

And, "verite"?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. draqon Banned Banned

ummm...we are not gods to decide who to perish into nothingness...let freedom be in our kingdom.

15. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

well she isnt banned anymore so it was overturned at least

16. draqon Banned Banned

at last...there is some light within these halls of ancient library filled with dust, hatred, and oppresion.

17. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Athelwulf,

He meant to say "vertie".

Outlandish,

Where have you been? I already spoke up for you when you were banned for that stupid thing with Nickelodeon. I didn't raise too much of a fuss because it was only a temp ban, but I did raise objections.

To the powers that be,

Thank you.
    Good call.

18. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

invert....supreme justice on sci

19. Rosnet Philomorpher Registered Senior Member

Hey. Thank you for your concern. As you can see I've been unbanned.

Yes, JamesR banned me first, for a week. Then after the week was over I came in and discovered that I had been permanently banned by pseud0. So I sent private messsages to JamesR and pseud0 (well I registered as another user, Stoner...). And now I'm ubanned! Probably this thread helped. Thanks!

20. Rosnet Philomorpher Registered Senior Member

Hm... sorry, but yes, you were doing that. I hadn't thought of it. But that is an interesting observation.

21. Rosnet Philomorpher Registered Senior Member

"He"... Just thought I'd clarify...

22. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Heh.
    Nice anagram.
    What the hell is a 'rosnet' anyway?

Pity.
    But, then again, the accidental isomorphism could easily be taken as another interesting play on the properties of intelligence and cognition.

You are a tricky one, eh?
    Circles within circles and colors that taste like music?

Anyway.
    Welcome back.

23. Rosnet Philomorpher Registered Senior Member

Thank you.
    Rosnet... didn't notice? Another anagram- a special case of the anagram, actually, slightly more ordered than usual. Fact is, I couldn't think of a good name at that time...