Do laptops nuke testicles?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Lord Hillyer, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

Just wondering about the radiation.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Do you actually put yours on your lap? Mine is usually either on a table or the floor. Rarely is it ever actually on my lap. So my testicles should be fine, either way. That is, unless that cell phone in my pocket is frying them instead!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

I don't think it's the radiation that nukes them, but the simple heat that is generated by the laptops. I've read that it can reduce the fertility of men, because the testes require temperatures lower than 98.6 degrees in order to produce sperm. That's why the scrotum expands and contracts--it's regulating the temperature of the little guys. When they're too hot, the scrotum relaxes and the testicles dangle away from the body. When they're too cold, the scrotum contracts and pulls the testicles closer to the body to warm them up. If you use the laptop all of the time, it can warm your nads up enough to prevent spermatogenesis.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

Thank-you. I knew about the heat, but am wondering more about the radiation that a laptop (HDD, monitor, WiFi, etc) emits.

8. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

We are probably killing ourselves with all this radiation.

Hopefully, it just kills sperm and eggs rather than mutates them. Mutated gametes would not be good.

9. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

I highly doubt the radiation from a laptop is strong enough to cook a cell, which is essentially what it has to do in order to cause problems. I work with my laptop inches from my oscilloscope probes in the lab all of the time, and the noise is very minimal. if I put the probe directly over the keyboard it will show a little noise, but not much.

tell you what, tomorrow, when I am in the lab, I will test a laptop and see what kind of noise is thrown off a couple of inches below it. somebody else should research what magnitude/infrequency of a E/M wave it takes to cause damage. lets not speculate when we can experiment.

10. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

Thank-you. That would be great.

11. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

wow, never seen a forum spawn an experiment before, all power to ya!

12. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

from about 2 inches below the laptop:

from 2 inches above the power supply:

13. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

the delta on the top right is the difference between the two horizontal lines I have drawn on it.

14. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

Wow, thank-you! Is the 216 millivolt a dangerous level to have that close? It sounds like a very small amount, but I don't know how amperages etc comes into play.

15. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

I don't really know either. someone else needs to fill in the rest.

16. Roman Banned Banned

What are you measuring cato?

17. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

the noise picked up by a breadboard wire at a distance of about 2 inches below the laptop. I am still in the lab, so if there is a better experiment than that, let me know.

18. Roman Banned Banned

You're measuring electromagnetic radiation, right?
    According to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_radiation_hazards) the measure that living tissue absorbs EMF is called the specific absorption rate or SAR, as different tissues have different rates of absorption. The units are in watts per kilo, or W/kg.

Could you measure the EMF coming out of a computer screen? It says the EMF of microwaves are particularly bad for eyeballs, causing catarcts.

I imagine my bad eyesight is from spending the last decade infront of this infernal machine.

19. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

too late, I left the lab. however, I don't think there will be any measurable microwave radiation.