Movie picture size

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by alexb123, Nov 10, 2006.

1. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

Why is it that you buy a big TV and then you watch a film that doesnt even fit the whole screen?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

Also what films really work on a big TV well 26" but I only had a 14" portable all my life, so this is big.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

probably watching some old ass movie. Is it a DVD?

8. Genji Registered Senior Member

I have only a 27inch screen but I INSIST on widescreen when I buy or rent DVD's.

9. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

Its mainly downloaded AVI files, I know I shouldn't moan if its free, but hey

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I also only got the TV yesterday so have not been able to test out my DVD's but I thought they would be the same. But I might be wrong

10. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Are the AVIs in widescreen format?

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

There are too many formats. Unless your material was recorded in the same format as your screen, it will be either too wide or too narrow. For years we put up with watching cinemascope movies with the edges chopped off because TVs had been standardized sixty years ago in the film format that had been standard forever.

Then of course they came out with wide-screen movies. Now that we have larger screens (my parents' first TV had an 8" diagonal screen) they shrink the image so we get the entire width and there are blank spaces top and bottom.

So now they make TVs with cinemascope format screens. And what do they do now? They put videos on the internet that are in the older 35mm format.

Ready to give up?