Relationship if STD'd?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by sderenzi, Nov 10, 2006.

?

Answer

Poll closed Nov 30, 2006.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
  1. sderenzi Banned Banned

This question has nothing to do with me or anything I'm asking advice about. More-so it is a question for all of you. If you met someone that you really truly enjoyed spending time with, and that you had a real relationship with, then would you still continue it if you came to know they had an STD. Now to be fair you can answer the poll in 1 of 2 ways. Either answer in general as to any kind of STD, or choose a specific one or group and post about it.

As for me I can't honestly answer this, I've never been in a relationship with anyone that turned out intimate, I can tell you scientifically speaking there would have to be someone else out there that lacked an STD, and therefore my interest may wane abit if not completely.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Which STD? Some are much worse than others ....some are deadly! It makes a difference, ya' know?

Baron Max

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sderenzi Banned Banned

I'll leave that up to you, I said there are 2 ways of answering, broadly or specifically.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I assume this venereal disease can not be cured?

If incurable:
    Beyond any social chemistry you and the other person have together, deciding to participate in this relationship limits you to three options:
    -you and your partner do not have sexual intercourse
    -you and your partner have sexual intercourse, but use condoms.
    -you intentionally infect yourself

Option one would totally depend the importance of your desire for sex. If your mindset is such that you are happy with being stoic/intimate in non-sexual ways, then there shouldn't be any problems.......else libido will force you to seek other options.

Option two provides all of the perks of having a normal clean relationship, but you are gambling with your health due to the not-100% effectiveness of condoms.

Option three provides you with a normal relationship, but forces you to deal with the symptoms of the disease, and handycaps your future selection of sexual partners assuming the current one doesn't work out.

I refuse to vote on any more threads you post where a poll option is provided........... but to answer your question directly, I would probably reject this relationship and look elsewhere. I am far too driven by my libido, and envision myself being unhappy or paranoid all the time.

8. baumgarten fuck the man Registered Senior Member

Relationship? Sure.
    Sexual relationship? Are you fucking nuts!?

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Although it's been about 35 years since I last used a condom, I'm sure they still work the same way. Which means they are satisfactory and effective for basic procreative-position intercourse--although not quite 100% satisfactory and not quite 100% effective. That "not quite" would bother me, but life is full of risks and everyone has to do their own risk analysis.

They offer the same level of effectiveness for oral sex performed on a male, but the satisfaction quotient is quite a bit lower for the performer. Some people just balk at the idea of sucking on a condom.

For performing oral sex on an infected female, you're kind of stuck with Saran Wrap. I just can't imagine how that would be for either party. And I had to google this. Nobody I know could answer it from personal or anecdotal experience.

If you're talking specifically about HIV, there's quite a bit of controversy over whether it can even be transmitted orally. If you've accidentally bitten the inside of your cheek and exposed a capillary, then bingo, you've got an infection vector. The tissue inside your mouth heals rapidly so if you turn up HIV-positive a few weeks after performing oral sex the doctor will not be able to solve the mystery. Again, you'll have to do your own risk analysis and decide whether to forgo the protection to avoid feeling like you're trapped in an episode of Lexx.

But many, if not all, of the good old-fashioned STDs are transmitted orally in both directions. Which means you may be able to get it just from kissing. I wonder how many people would be willing to kiss through a layer of Saran Wrap?

I don't know how I would react in the hypothetical situation. It's a strong motivation to stay happily married, as if I needed more. If my wife came down with it I'd just have to chalk it up to that "for better or for worse" line in our marriage vows.

I understand that these days you're supposed to have a little chat about Personal Health And Safety on the edge of the bed before lying down. That seems a little late to me. I would probably want to know the person's history and status long before I was drawn that far into a relationship.

I suppose the best place to meet people will soon be the Bloodmobile. If they're regular donors, then they've been getting free HIV tests three or four times a year so you only have to query them about their most recent behavior.

10. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

Depends on which STD. Depends on how honest they are about it.

If they have HIV, I can't be in a relationship with them at all. If they have an annoying STD, but they are very honest and generally good overall, I'd apply condoms and other tools of self defense while I'm with them.

It depends on which STD, and how they handle themselves.

11. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

I tend to agree with you.

12. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

Option 2. I assume everyone has an STD anyway until I see the test results. So use a condom by default no matter who it is.

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Giving someone HIV/AIDs is nothing short of murder! And they should be convicted of it and sent to the gas chamber/electric chair/ or whatever-the-fuck they use these days!

Baron Max

14. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

If you know that a person has a STD and you really want to have a sexual relationship with them, then you should make sure that they get medical treatment and are cured of their disease, if indeed it is curable, before you even so much as get a hard-on. If they refuse or if it's incurable, then forget it.

15. John99 Banned Banned

jeez renzi how old are you?

16. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

The original question was whether or not you would have sex with someone if you knew they had an STD. Assuming that everyone 'possibly' has a disease by default is not the same thing as consciously deciding to expose yourself to a guaranteed vector.

17. John99 Banned Banned

"The original question was whether or not you would have sex with someone if you knew they had an STD."

Who in their right mind would do that?

18. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Oh whoops-- my mistake....... question was a RELATIONSHIP with someone that has STD

19. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

With protection?

Hell no I would not deliberately let them infect me.