Can You Dance?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by sderenzi, Nov 9, 2006.

1. sderenzi Banned Banned

Recently my thoughts have turned towards how many people on the SciForum actually believe they know how to dance. You may ask exactly why I've considered this, mostly because I heard a long time ago about how children all think they can dance, it's only once they reach adulthood that people begin questioning it.

So the interest here is did you have someone show you how to dance? Do you just feel you know innately? Do you like to dance? What will you dance to and why?

Anything along those lines will do fine in this thread.

As for myself I don't think I can dance, I feel I never properly learned it so I usually don't try. Then again I remember telling everyone when I was in school that I was able to dance, upon demonstrating they all laughed. Very strange

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I can't, and would never do so in public.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

With enough alcohol, you can, and you will.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

i've always found that

8. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

As I remember, there are only 3 rules:

1. Get pissed.
    2. Be the right side of 25.
    3. I lied. There are only 2. Express yourself.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

With enough alcohol, I might dance in private.

10. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Alcohol for sure, but the music's got to be right. I love dancing under the right conditions.

11. baumgarten fuck the man Registered Senior Member

I have a probably fleeting interest in learning to ballroom dance. As it stands, I make an ass of myself when I try to dance (and I enjoy it).

12. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I can dance better than most people. I haven't videod myself yet, but here is an example of some people trying to dance like me:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2586189299589016573

I taught myself 100% how to dance. I went to a class a few times because I just needed to go somewhere to dance. The class always sucked as I was always better than everybody else. Nobody has ever taght me any moves.

13. baumgarten fuck the man Registered Senior Member

Are you proud of yourself?

14. Roman Banned Banned

Nope.

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

In junior high school in the mid-1950s (I think they call it "middle school" today) we had dancing lessons a couple of times a week for a few weeks as one of the "sports" in P.E. class. Of course all we learned back then was the foxtrot--not terribly useful today--and the waltz--good for an occasional slow-dance in 3/4 time, especially if you hang out in country-western bars which I don't. In high school my girlfriend taught me the two-step, which can be used as the basis for practically any dance at any speed in 4/4 time. I went to an all-boys university for a while and some sensible administrator brought in not only a dance teacher but some girls to practice with, to keep us from becoming total geeks. The only step I really learned well was the twist, but boy is that a good one to know because being able to move your body that way without falling down vastly improves your coordination.

Today most dancing to contemporary music does not require physical contact with your partner, so if you can move rhythmically without looking terribly stupid you can just gyrate and wiggle and wave your arms and do just fine. That's where learning the twist helped me because I can move various body parts in different directions while keeping my center of gravity above my feet. And the two-step comes in handy because I actually look like I'm dancing rather than doing exercises.

Occasionally a song comes along that's a little too slow to rock out to, and with the two-step I can barely pull off the right-hand-around-the-waist left-hand-clasped partner thing, but I'm no good at "leading" so we usually end up just rotating in one spot.

My wife and I went to one lesson in salsa and I can sort of remember the merengue, but not with any verve.

I prefer head-banging and pogo-ing music because everyone is just jumping around and acting silly on purpose so you can do anything you want.

Sometimes I play in a band and being able to move around in one spot without thinking about it too much instead of standing still all night keeps me from going home with a backache.

16. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

I don't dance.

Let me correct that: The dancing I do is largely hopping around in circles with my giggling daughter who is already learning to swing her ass like Noodle.

But, no. I don't dance. I lack a certain amount of rhythm. And also I lack a certain amount of grace. For instance, I couldn't possibly get away with the trippy dervish-whirls that I find so mesmerizing: high as a kite, watching a woman dressed in glow-sticks and such spinning slowly about at a Phish concert--absolutely beautiful, but not if I should try it.

Of course, I live in the Seattle area, and as anyone who saw the Gorillaz play town a few years back might recall, we just don't do much dancing up here. Seriously, that may be the only time Dan the Automator has ever been stared down by a crowd that refused to dance.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2006
  17. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

I've been learning the trio of spanish dancing by observation and my friend giving me lessons. Good way to impress women.

18. Genji Registered Senior Member

I can only dance if I'm under the influence and Dead or Alive is playing "You Spin Me Round."

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Yeah well, isn't there something just basically inconsistent about dancing to Nirvana or Alice in Chains?

20. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

I can dance.

Or do you mean "Can you dance well?"?

EDIT: I just remembered: I can waltz and polka. Thank you, German class.

21. John99 Banned Banned

22. I-Am-Invisible sick of it all. Registered Senior Member

If moshpits at metal concerts don't count then no...

23. crazyfreespirit "Custom User Title" Registered Senior Member

I am a dancer. I dance at a studio. Otherwise, just at normal dances/clubs I'd say I'm better then most.