More Thoughts on "The Matrix Trilogy"

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by RonPrice, Nov 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RonPrice Mr RonPrice Registered Senior Member

There is a poeticd aspect to films and some films more than others. One of the central poetic aspects is the freedom an individual has to interpret the medium, the particular film, in a way that fits his own value and belief system. This I have done here.

The film The Matrix was released in Australia the very week I taught my last classes as a full-time professional teacher, April 8th 1999. I had been teaching for thirty years. I won't summarize the details of the plot and all the characters. But some of the theme is as follows: a fundamental discovery is made about the world that it doesn't exist. It's actually a form of Virtual Reality designed to lull people into lives of blind obedience to the system. People obediently go to their jobs every day without knowing that Matrix is the wool that has been pulled over their eyes. The reality of life is that people are slaves. The rebels want to crack the framework that holds this Matrix in place thus freeing humankind. Some believe a messianic One will lead a social uprising; this messianic One will possess both mind power and physical strength. -Ron Price, Pioneering Over Four Epochs, 4 November 2006 with thanks to Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times, March 31st 1999.

The world has been in a great sleep
    from which it is slowly waking
    thanks to that messianic One
    and the uprising has begun
    silently, unobtrusively, for
    the revolution is global and
    out of man's control--it is also
    spiritual--having begun within
    the Shaykhi school of the Ithna-
    Ashariyyih sect of Shiah Islam.
    But don't tell anyone--it's the
    best kept secret-non-secret in