Theres a f***ing rat downstairs!!!

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Ghost_007, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

We've sealed every possible entrance, we've cleared up all the bricks, plasterboard and tools (had a little extension done)

What else can I do. Any tips?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

where there is one there are 100's

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

you need to get pest control

they will use a poison called warfarin which will result in ratty drowning in it's own blood

or you could befriend ratty and co.

NOTE rats can eat through concrete, you cannot BLOCK them out.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Rat poison.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

I'd definitely call an exterminator.

8. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

F***!!!

It can eat through concrete?

I’d rather not get pest control, I don’t want to kill it, just want it to go somewhere else. Can I put something that rats hate (something natural) in the holes???

9. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

There are some poisons that make rats thirsty, and so leave the house. But once they drink they die.

10. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

We had one living behind the freezer next to the washing machine, didn't discover it until we noticed water on the floor and dragged the washing machine out. It had gnawed the hose so that it had a supply of water and it had destroyed the mdf cover behind the cupboard. Behind the freezer we found dog and cat food that it had stolen and stored.

I scared it and it ran and hid on a tray under the fridge in the kitchen. I tried smoking it out by burning pungent incence next to it, I tried sweating it out with a hair drier, I tried freaking it out by playing the radio full blast next to it. All to no avail. I placed glue traps all round the fridge but the next day we found that it had moved them out of the way. Then I realised that I could pull the tray out, so I did, but it just climbed higher in the works and ate the drip hose.

Eventually, it came out and went and hid in a decorative stove, we couldn't see it so we dragged the stove out onto the patio and there it made a bid for freedom. The maid and I pinned it against a wall with sticks and I murdered the poor bastard. I didn't really want to kill it but it would have come back into the house otherwise.

Rats are bloody difficult to catch and kill.

11. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

That was one smart rat!

12. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

You watch gangsters passing symbolic messages in movies, (Sonny: "What the hell is this?" Tessio: "It's a Sicilian message. It means Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes.") a few years back as I was leaving for school I saw a headless rat just lying outside our front door, Wtf? it was placed perfectly, it was almost artistic! It was exactly like those gangster movies, lol.

13. draqon Banned Banned

if you die...there will not be any problems.

..it is a logical assumption.

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Rats are almost as smart as we are, much more agile, and they are not handicapped by scruples. And yes, it's almost certain that you have others. They're not really pack animals, but they keep an eye on each other and if one finds a sweet deal the rest will follow. This is no time to be squeamish. You have to kill them, there is simply no other solution.

The glue traps are pretty awful to deal with, especially if you have a lot of rats. They will die where they get stuck and start to stink. The other rats will eat them and then they will get stuck too. You will have a really stinky pile of dead rats that will attract insects and spread bacteria.

I'm not sure if warfarin or one of the other poisons mentioned is the one we use. We install it on a wire in a little maze box that makes it impossible for your pets to get into it or for the rats to drag it out. They stay alive long enough to go die somewhere else where the scavengers will clean up the mess. Even if your dog or cat eats the carcass the poison won't be concentrated enough to harm them.

You do not want your house to become a balanced ecosystem with rats playing a role. Trust me, you absolutely do not want this to happen, no matter how repugnant you find the idea of killing an animal.

You cannot repel them, nothing is that repulsive to a rat. You can't keep them out, you already learned that. You can't catch them. They're almost too tough for domestic dogs and cats to defeat. Maybe if you had twenty of these new cats that have been hybridized with ocelots... and your neighbors wouldn't mind them living next door to their budgies and chihuahuas. There are terriers that have been bred to catch rats but they can't crawl around under your appliances and get in your drawers, they're only at their best outdoors.

The sweetest, gentlest, most touchy-feely, pacifist, Buddha-loving, California hippies I know... all kill rats. It really is them or us.

Don't wait until you find one staring at you in your pantry, or worse, until one bites you and you have to get a rabies treatment.

15. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

I agree with Fraggle, I am anti killing but the problem of rats is more trouble than it is worth. They don't move ON, they move IN.

16. vincent Sir Vincent, knighted by HM Registered Senior Member

Well if you slept upstairs the rat downstairs would be gone, but then it would be upstairs.

Try seeing aplastic surgeon if you dont like the way you look.

17. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Indeed.

18. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

Fraggle Rocker, you're an absolute star!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

19. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Got a rat? Get a cat!

20. draqon Banned Banned

tripod got the rat. lolz.

21. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Huh?

22. draqon Banned Banned

all i c is image hosted by tripod...were the rat?

23. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Really? I see the cat.