Is Astronomy a Science???

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Inka, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Inka Cosmic Princess Registered Senior Member

Hello - this is the first time i've used this so i hope i'm doing it right.

I need some help writting an essay.
    "Is Astronomy a Science or merely a branch of Religion and Metephysics?"
    Does anyone have any ideas, or thoughts on the subject??

Inka x

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Is Astronomy a Science???

Absolutely! Perhaps you're thinking about Astrology?

Astrology is not a science. It is a form of mild eccentric entertainment.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Inka Cosmic Princess Registered Senior Member

I know the difference

I know what the difference is i do astrophysics - but i don't know how to explain my views thats y i wondered if anyone could help

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tristan Leave your World Behind Valued Senior Member

Oh yes it sure is a Science. Astronomy has been around for millenia. Our ancestors used it to fiqure when to plant crops. They use that postion of the sun for that too.

Astronomy is the exploration of the Cosmos through a telescope. Also, it is the interrogation of nature. Many things that we learn up there and through the telescope, we can apply down here.

We use mathematics and The Scientific method in Astronomy. We learn about the earth and how it is affected by the sun and the surrounding space. We decide of life is possible somewhere else through spectrography (I think thats right) and the type of sun a planet revolves around (Still a lot of work to be done in that field).

Astronomy is most definalty a science. Most things are a science wheather we like it or not. Science is not a word, or a subject. It is the interrogation of nature, finding the facts, having a little faith and most of all having some skepticism.

I think what you meant is Why is Astronomy a Science not Is Astronomy a science.

Metaphysics? Thats a Astrology.

Religion? Im afraid not. I dont believe much in "God". But I do believe in "The Creative Power Of The Universe". I think you can pull a lot of science out of the bible but very, very, if at all, religion out of science.

Later
    Tristan

8. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Astronomy involves using logic, maths and measurements and repeatable and varifiable results, to investigate our theories about the nature of the universe, generally on the large scale. Although it does also include some whacky theories. It has been used as a way of measuring time and running crops for thousands of years.

9. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

The most common, ancient way of measuring equinoxes was in using what was called a horizon calendar. That is where the observer goes to the same spot day after day and measures the sun against some prominment landscape feature. In other places it was later developed by artifical means. In this method and in land and sea navagation it has been used since the dawn of mankind. Is astromony a science? You bet! Look it up and you will find it listed in the sciences. One of the hallmarks of science methodology is that it be demonstratable, repeatable, and once understood, predictable. Astromony is such.

Oh, welcome to sciforums, Inka. You are doing the posting just fine, as you can see by the responces from the other members to your question.

10. Unidentified Flying Object Registered Member

Yes it is science

11. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Declaratives --mispunctuated, or not -- are not evidence. Answer the question.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

None of us, I believe, are in a position to critique others' grammar.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Peace.

13. Inka Cosmic Princess Registered Senior Member

Good grammer and literrary flair aside - do you have an opinion UFO or are you merely taking advantage of my (incredably) interesting and thought provoking question to show your presense??
    Lv Ink x

14. KneD Le Penseur Registered Senior Member

not as easy as it seems

I would say that astronomy is a science......but, there are some arguments to say it is a religion;
    Then we are talking about the astronomy part with the wacky theories, like gravitons and stuff. (isn't this part of astronomy called cosmology, or is that just the same as astronomy?)

astronomy is physics, the science of motion and matter, all based on 1 single question which we still can't answer (and maybe we'll never) What causes forces?

we don't know what causes gravity, nuclear forces etc.
    People who want evidence before they believe something, shouldn't believe this, and see it as a religion.

And since there are other theories about these forces and standards of physics, we have to choose in which we believe, what makes it a sort of religion, doesn't it? (I know someone who is totaly convinced of 11 dimensions with gravity leaks.....)

but still we can call astronomy the science of which religion holds the truth, and it can still be called science..............

pffffffffffffffffff, I don't bother actually, as long as I can have fun with it.

15. faio Registered Member

i posted you a comment but it appear as a thread, sorry

16. Rick Valued Senior Member

It is science because it use the following steps to make Theories:
    ================================================================
    Obervation
    -----------
    |
    \/
    Logical and mathematical Deductions
    ------------------------------------
    |
    \ /
    Theoritical discussions
    ---------------------------------
    |
    \ /
    Theory formation
    -----------------------------------

since all of the above steps are used in most other types of sciences for their theory making,therefore it can deduced as a science.

bye!

17. apolo Registered Senior Member

I beleive ZION's explanation of what science is, is the most accurate
    I have ever read. And using his definition, I would definitely conclude that Astronomy is a Science.
    Before closing I will leave you with a quote I read long ago.

"What we observe is not nature itself, but nature as exposed to our method of questioning "

WERNER HEISENBERG
    In his book Physics and Philosophy

APOLO location, Alberta Canada