Wasting time on the aircraft

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Myriad360, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Myriad360 Registered Senior Member

So, I am very soon heading off to Germany again, in which I will be spending 17 hours 1 way in airports and on aircraft. The last few times, I have taken books, and ended up reading thousands of pages of material just out of boredom. None of my electronics devices will last nearly that long (laptop, PDA) except my mp3 player, so I am wondering if anyone could suggest a good time waster device for when the 2am hour over the Atlantic when I can't sleep, but don't have the concentration to read. I have been looking at a Nintendo DS, but it is a little pricey.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. baumgarten fuck the man Registered Senior Member

Get an attention span in a hurry. Or a sedative.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

bring snakes, lots of snakes.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Don't sleep for two days before the flight.

8. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

You need one of these I think

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. valich Registered Senior Member

Well I don't know about you, but when I fly back-and-forth to China (15-18 hours) I try to sleep as much as I can to counteract the subsequent jet lag - and it works! I take some sleep meds, have a few drinks, and sleep as much as I can. Before this I would always take along language books and tapes to prepare me for my destination, and read Lonely Planet's newest updates on where to go, eat, and stay. Nowadays, most airlines - united and Continental - have a wide range of movies, programs and music that you can listen to to occupy the time. I've never had a problem with wasted time on a plane. Strike up some conversations with the surrounding passengers. You might find yourself switching seats if you hit upon an interesting conversation.

10. Voodoo Child Registered Senior Member

Drinking. Duh.

11. Myriad360 Registered Senior Member

That is probably the smartest thing I have heard yet.

domesticated om, which Airline has cigarette plugs? I wish mine did.

baumgarten, I don't think staring at the back of a seat for 17 hours would count has having an attention span. Drugs would be nice though.

12. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

I think the concept is to have a battery that will have a standard plug for all of your devices. its meant to be charged beforehand. that being said, good luck getting on a plain with that bomb-looking device. you may find yourself probed up if you try that.

13. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I googled "airplane power outlet", and one of the first results was "American Airlines".
    Their website went into detail about what sort of things would be available for people w/laptops. They apparently use the cigarette styled dc adapters on their seats.
    http://www.aa.com/content/travelInformation/duringFlight/onboardTechnology.jhtml?anchorEvent=false

After searching a little further, I came up with this (full list of all laptop friendly airlines)
    http://www.rentcomputers.com/sosair.html

14. Sputnik Banned Banned

Buy an eyemask (to cover your eyes) and earplugs - then you can sleep.....
    Sleep does not only make your time pass - it also counteracts jetlag ....

15. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Zero hour nine a.m.

*Cigarette drag...*

And I'm gonna be high...as a kite by then.

16. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I can't usually sleep very well or very long on airliners so I sympathize. Especially since my flights are always broken into three legs so I can never settle down for very long. I deliberately put off my reading for situations where I can't do anything else so I look forward to reading in flight and in airports, even on the subway and while waiting for doctors etc. I hate dining out alone so on the rare occasions when it's unavoidable I read in restaurants, something which is not considered impolite in most of the world. As a result I hardly ever read at home.

If you make this your reading time you might look forward to it and have less of an attention problem.

I happen to like acrostic puzzles which usually take a couple of hours, so they come in handy. I haven't been on a plane since the advent of sudoku but I'm sure it's all the rage. I've only done one puzzle just to make sure I wasn't missing out on something I'd love (I wasn't). I deliberately picked one labeled "hard" and it took me about six hours.

Someone should invent a low-tech dry-cell battery pack for laptops. You could just carry enough D cells to get you to your destination. It can't be too hard, the output of most AC converters is a multiple of 1.5 volts, or close enough. Twelve or thirteen of them in series would even run an IBM and that's a lot of watt-hours. Or choose your next computer so it will run on two lantern batteries, that would be a little less cumbersome.

If you really want to sleep, do some more "due diligence." There are literally thousands of techniques out there for using Homo sapiens's well-documented ability to influence our own unconscious processes and induce sleep. I'm a tough customer but even I have a couple of audiotapes that usually do it. The Buddhist mindfulness-style technique for meditation that outifts like Vipassana teach (as opposed to the more familiar Hindu/yoga transcendental-style of meditation that takes years to master) puts me out three times out of four. Even the Emotional Freedom Technique (which I heartily recommend), with its combination ritual of acupressure and a simple chant you devise for yourself, is surprisingly effective and can be self-taught in a few sessions.

If you want to sleep in flight the chances are extremely good that you can do so if you just make an effort to find the resources to help. If you'd rather be entertained, the key is to make it a special time that you look forward to. And perhaps do a little engineering to make your entertainment tools work better for you.

18. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

I take frequently fly accross country. Sometimes I don't sleep the night before, so I can just pass out on the plane. I never used to be able to sleep on planes, but you'd be surprised how easy it is when you haven't slept in over 24 hours.

I always bring a book of crossword puzzles on the airplane. You can get them at any airport newsstand or gift shop, or you can bring your own. I also like to do sudoku puzzles. They usually don't take all that long, so they don't take much of an attention span. You can just do one whenever you feel like it.

19. sderenzi Banned Banned

You're going to Germany to fight war huh? Germany should've been burned to hell the last time Hitler came into power and basically tried killing everything alive, what a joke it still exists. Germany is a pathetic weak thing that should die.

As far as flying, jerk off with a hot babe next to you, that'll pass the time, or better yet just find a sexy thing to mate with during the flight.

Anyways what else ummmm

20. original sine Registered Senior Member

Sounds like sderenzi needs to buy a sex toy. Not only will his woes of virginity be appeased, but the world will be saved from his offspring.

Oh yeah, about the Nintendo DS - If you have ever played video games before, you know what to expect from the device. There are a few good games you can buy on the cheap that consist of a variety of mini-games. I would suggest Clubhouse Games or Advance Wars DS. The former is better for a casual player who is looking for a more traditional game like poker, chess, or one of the 40 other games. The latter is a quality turn-based strategy game that has a lot of replay value, has good visuals, uses the touch screen effectively, and is described by a reviewer as the "Perfect way to kill time on long and short trips".

Just remember, be safe when you use it.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  21. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

Germany rocks, sderenzi. Haud yer wheesht.

The women, the beer, the german-ness of it all. It's good fun

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I think you'd feel right at home there, too. Lots of different kinds of meat to stuff into your orifice.

22. draqon Banned Banned

you might try practicing to joggle...

23. Roman Banned Banned

Not if you have blue eyes and great looks, like me.

Then they just feel you up.