Whatever Happened To This Movie?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by sderenzi, Nov 3, 2006.

1. sderenzi Banned Banned

Planet of the Apes (2001) - They just ended it with him landing on earth but instead of everyone being human they were apes?! Kinda sucks.... so where's the sequel they were supposed to have!

Lost in Space (1998) - They never got back to earth and instead got flung even further into space. Now the annoying thing it left unanswered questions which supposedly would've been found out in the sequel, so where is it?!

Post yours!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. alexb123 The Amish web page is fast! Valued Senior Member

I really wanted a sequel to lost in space

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I believe it didnt earn much in the box office so no sequal

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sderenzi Banned Banned

I felt like a sequel was required just based on the ending it had, god I hate picture companies, and you know what they told me when I e-mailed them asking?

"Oh sorry we can't give out any information regarding our future releases".

That was the reply I got when questioning about if they'd release a sequel

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

the Planet of the Apes series ran it's course in what was it like the '70's? Surely you've seen the original's.

8. sderenzi Banned Banned

I saw the originals yes, but what about the newer one? It had an ending designed specifically for a sequel to which there was none!

9. John99 Banned Banned

Maybe they are not planning a sequal because the previous one did not make enough money. TBH i hardly remember it, but I will never forget the originals.

Did you see the one w\ the monkey in the space suit? how about the cheesey TV series?????

10. The ending to Tim Burton's Planet of The Apes wasn't designed as a cue for a sequel - it was a nod in the direction of both the original writer of the novel, Pierre Boule, and what the director of the Charlton Heston version, had had in mind for the production the first time around.

In both the book and the pre-production work done for the original late 60's version the Ape civilisation was depicted as being one mirroring and parallel to that of late 20th Century earth: the apes wear suits, have lawyers, fly around in nifty little personal helicopters - typical 60's three-weeks-into-the-future kind of set up.

All the original test footage for Planet of The Apes was done on these exact kind of terms, however budget ultimately meant they couldn't afford to continue in that mould and so they re-thought everything out and came up with the now familiar, more familiar, post-apocalyptic "medieval" vision of the Ape civilisation which made it to the screen.

Burton typically favours dark, not necessarily happy endings and in bringing his version to a close its not so much a set-up for a sequel more a faithful homage to how Planet of The Apes the first time around could have been had the studio in the main had the balls to have seen things through.

As to the Lost In Space thing, I quite agree. I thought that a thoroughly enjoyable outing given the original source material. Oodles of good fun. Alas, they dropped the ball. What can one say...