i have stopped smoking today

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Zakariya04, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

Hi all

Just want to say i have stop smoking today for about the 100th time....

I am really going to put loads of effort into it this time i am doing quite well as i had my last cigarette, yesterday at 7:00pm

But it is quite difficult when there is 6 different gas stations and shops i can stop at to get them when i drive to work in the morning.

however i am determined to beat that little shitty nicotine monster this time.

Does anyone have any advice they can give me...

thank you for reading.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Take care
    zak

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Quitter [/derogatory]

I found quitting smoking inside was satisfactory in taking the "disgusting" edge off smoking cigarettes, as well as the everyday health hazards like needing to cough your guts up everytime you ran 20 yards.
    Now that I only smoke outside (which has naturally made me cut back to 10 a day or less), I can't find fault in smoking.

Maybe when I'm an elderly decaying old piece of scum with dimensia and liver spots and brain cancer and ass cancer and catarachs and ear hair and mothball stink I might also have lung cancer, who gives a fuck? Hopefully I'll have been torn apart by wild dogs before that anyway.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Take a few months off and travel on long haul flights every day, failing that, go and sit in doctors waiting rooms all day. Whatever you do, it's going to be tough.

I gave it up for 4 weeks straight without a problem and then, one night I found the carton that my wife had hidden (I'd been searching for it on and off for weeks) and I smoked one. As I smoked the evil bastard I knew I'd started again and that I'd be smoking more this time, and I was right. I'm up to 30 a day now.

I have to psyche myself up to stop it again but it will take me months. My wife on the other hand, gave up her 25 a day habit just like that in the middle of the day and hasn't looked back since, in 6 years.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I think one of the best things to keep in mind in the beginning is: don't smoke a single cigarette --- not even one to take the edge off.

You will certainly feel the cravings/withdrawl, but don't look for ways to cope with it (don't try to make it any easier for youself). Keep in mind that the sensations you feel absolutely suck, and there is no other way.

I would also recommend totally and completely clearing your house/apartment. Find all the stuff associated with smoking (ash trays, lighters, empty packs of cigarettes, the leftover cellophane garbage, cigarette butts from the yard, etc) and throw all of it away. If you used to smoke in your house, or have any clothes in the laundy basket that smell like cigarette smoke, wash them.

For the next three weeks or so, you should avoid places where alot of other smokers hang out (IE- bars, the employee area in the office where everyone smokes).

I quit cold turkey September 2003 after having smoked 10 years. For me personally, it took about 3 months for the cravings to stop painfully nagging at me and feel real control again. It also took about 6 to 8 months until all the cravings were totally gone.

8. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

Hello All

thank you for all your comments, so basivcally you are all saying its dead hard and that i ahve to put up with misery for 6 months...

What abotu nicotine patches or gum, are they worth giving a go.

~~~~~~~~~~~

take care
    zak

9. Sputnik Banned Banned

Been there, tried that - the first 6 weeks are the worst ...then it gets better ...
    By the way - I am still smoking

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Gum helps - patches often give a rash (because nicotine irritates the skin ....)

10. Sputnik Banned Banned

By the way - nicotine is a cholinerg agonist - targeting the cholinerg receptors in the brain , thereby improving your cognitive skills (memory,concentration,planning and so on ....)
    Cholinerg agonists are used as medicine against dementia .....

You probably perform better at your job when you smoke (or chew gum)....
    Students performed better in tests after taking cholinerg agonists ..

Actually , I am not sure, that I want to stop smoking

11. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

12. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

I've been off the smokes for 2.5 years now. It took practice. I'd previously quit for 18 months, 4 months, and shorter periods.

The main difference this time is that I haven't had a single puff.
    The second difference is that this time I specifically avoided avoiding cigarettes - I had a full pack in my desk at work, and on my bedside table at home for about six months.

See, you are always going to have the opportunity to smoke at some time in the future... so why not practice handling the opportunity now?

Quitting smoking is about choosing not to smoke a cigarrate now... and knowing that you'll have to choose whether or not to take a puff over and over again. At first, you'll have to make that choice many times each day. But, the frequency decreases. Now, I still get the old feeling sometimes (maybe every couple of months)... but each time, I consider the choice anew - I am free to choose to take that puff, and perhaps smoke for the rest of my life... or, I can choose to not smoke, and breath feely, smell cleaner, and save lots of $.

When you want to take a puff, remember two things:
    1) You are free to choose to take that puff.
    2) Choosing to take that puff means choosing to quite possibly return to a life of smoking.

Good luck! If you don't make it this time, consider it a learning experience, and think about how you could approach it differently next time.

As far as nicotine replacement therapy goes, I found the inhalers to be great - they're like a cigarette you can take a puff from, then pop in your pocket for later. You can puff on them anywhere, and any time. But others I've spoken to don't like them. It might be because I was a light smoker (half a pack of 1mg sticks a day).

Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
  13. Roman Banned Banned

Is that invert in the distance? I think I can smell is holier-than-thou stink. At least it used to be camo'd by the tobacco....

I'm banking on zombies.

14. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

Someone who quit smoking told me about a method she used that helped her quit.

She said that whenever you get the urge to smoke do this:

Flood your brain with thoughts of disgusting and bad smoking is. She said that it usually helped remove some of the urge. Like, try to associate smoking with something that would induce a gag reflex. Kind of like a classical-conditioning scheme, except more internal. Whenever you get the urge, think about brown tooth stains. Think about the filthy griminess of your lungs. Think about having one of those breathing rings in your throat. Think about a disgusting lung tumor with blood vessels creeping around it, sucking the vitality and nutrients away from the surrounding tissue. It's just sitting there, wasting away bathing in its own black filth. When you have the urge to smoke, think about things that make you want to puke, so that eventually you automatically get nauseous when you think about smoking. It works for some people.

15. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

Hi guys,

thank you for all your advices so far, hopefully they will prove useful in my battle against the nicotine beast

what really pisses me off is that i can buy cigs from more places i can buy bread or paracetomal.. Something very wrong their i think.

And guess what here in the uK they cost over £5.00 for a pack of twenty. you see the government would be screwed if everyine stop smoking today.. Bunch of hypocrite bastards they are....

they justify the tax increases by banging on about the health issues, but they dont restrict the distribution.. if they were really concerned about the health of the nation they would ban it out right!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    take care
    zak

16. Mosheh Thezion Registered Senior Member

i smoked camels for 17 years.... a pack a day.

i tried to quit many times... but failed.... again and again...

but i discovered why.

it was because i allowed myself to think happy thoughts about tobacco.

in your mind... there are many memories... so, when you think about tobacco.... automatically.... the brain flashed through what it knows and remmbers about tobacco.

typicaly.... the memories are good... always satifying.. always good... always associated with thoughts like... i like smoking.
    i like the taste of tobacco... i like holding it... it give me something to do.

all kinds of stupid bulLshit.... id tell myself.

well... one day i woke up.. and realised that my biggest enemy is myself, and the reasons i cant quit... is because i LIKE TOBACCO.

on that day... i learned to HATE TOBACCO.

AND I STILL DO... i hate it... ii want to smash them all...
    destroy them all..... rrraaaggghhhh.
    those are the thoughts which give you strenght over those fucking tobacco sticks.

learn to hate them.... with all your heart, and quiting will be easy.

and the withdrawl symtoms... i taught myself that it feels good.
    that i like feeling withdrawl.... because it represents my strenght.

i quit cold turkey that day.... that was 3 years ago.

and i will never smoke tobacco again.... I HATE THAT FUCKING SHIT.

that is my advice.... and it will work.

-MT
    ( OH... AND IT WILL BE 3 MONTHS OF WITHDRAWL SYMTOMS... then you will THINK you are free.... but them come the spiking urges... but they only last a few minutes.... and will be gone in another 6 months...

so really... total freedom... is just 9 months away.)

17. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

I gave up for about 6 months earlier this year.

Whenever I give up, I do it on a day I have an extremely grotty hangover. A day when you wouldn't smoke as much as normal.

I had about a week off. Whenever I had a craving I'd put some music on and do some kind of aerobic exercises (dance around like a tit), go outside and start jogging, go out on my bike.

By the end of the week I was feeling pretty damn good. The proper cravings were gone and I could deal with people again. I kept up my fitness regime for a while and really felt the benefit. Then, I kind of slowed down with the fitness, got a bit depressed, etc. Had about 15 ciggies one night when I went out. Felt guilty, so called it a one off and carried on with not smoking. Met a girl in Germany and it was a "I'm going out for a smoke" moment. A chance to be alone with her. And then.. I asked her for a ciggie and argh. Anyway, after we parted ways a few days later I'd run out of money, had to call the parents and tell them I was on my way back, face real life again, etc. So, I kept smoking. Have been ever since. Almost anyway.

Last Saturday I tried to give up. I was doing great until about 7pm, when some family came over, including 2 small children (6+7 year old). My family like to take the piss (make fun), so things were getting rather painful. Then things got extremely painful, very quickly. Tried standing outside for 10 minutes, breathing deeply, which worked briefly until I went back in.

You really need a day to yourself to stop I think. The first day, anyway. Ideally 2 or 3. Even the most normal questions can severely aggrievate me when I'm quitting. Like somebody asking if I want a cup of tea, whilst I'm doing something. "No, I don't want a fucking cup of tea. Piss off"

And then when people (non-smokers) think you're a bit cranky they get pissed off with you. They just don't understand.

Anyway, good luck, mate. I'll be giving up again tomorrow I think. I've got a fairly big drinking sesh coming up tonight, so that should set me up for a nice hangover tomorrow.

18. Thixotropic Registered Member

Good luck i quit 3.5 years ago every now and then I get pangs but they are easily brushed off. My first six months were rough but worth it. I still have my last pack of cigarettes.

19. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Ooooooohhh, yeah! I've been there.

20. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

Me too its bad how even the most easy of questions becomne a reall irratant

Thank you for all you encouragements

21. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

My grandmother smoked for more than 60 years and she never once developed lung cancer. She did, however, develop skin cancer from being out in the sun too much as a child. I suspect smoking probably isn't as bad as the statistics make it seem. For example, if a person who smokes cigarettes develops lung cancer, then that person is filed as a statistic as a person who develops lung cancer as a result of smoking. What's the problem with that? The problem is that lots of non-smokers get lung cancer. It's possible that that person who developed lung cancer was gonna get it anyway, even if he never smoked a cigarette in his life.

Lungs, like many other parts of the body are a trouble spot. The cell turnover rate is very high. Organ systems which have a high cellular turnover are more prone to cancer, like the colon, intestines, ovaries, testicles, lungs, prostate, etc. tend to be more prone to developing tumors, perhaps due to the shortening of the telomeres, as well as replication errors.

22. draqon Banned Banned

I have stopped breathing today...only to live without breathing...how long will I last until I gasp for air?

23. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

Here's a website for you. I personally know 4 people who quit with the support they got from the site. www.whyquit.com