A 90 second, 5,000 year imperial history of the Middle East

Discussion in 'History' started by Lord Hillyer, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sputnik Banned Banned

Well , it looks like it is the survival of the most aggressive down there -
    no surprise, that there is always trouble in the middle east ....

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

Middle East...all but desert filled with explosive particles...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

Ooh, that's pretty snazzy.

8. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

It's like "who's dick is bigger" contest, and the Mongols win hands down.

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I thought the Ottoman Empire was much larger. Are the Kazakh, Turkmen, Kyrghyz and Uzbek not Turkic peoples whose existence and territories are the result of the Ottoman diaspora out of their original home in Mongolia? Were the Ottomans not simply the most recent wave of "Mongol hordes"?

The Turkic language family of those nations is related to the Finno-Ugric, Ural-Altaic, and other families of previous Mongol wanderers.

It would be interesting to see a similar map of Europe.

10. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Do you seriously memorize everything with a photographic memory or are you, and have been, a 14 year old all along fooling us with the power of google?

I must know.

11. valich Registered Senior Member

This is a very very very complex region to analyze. Not just because the Jews were given Isreal after WWII, and not just due to the differences in Christians and Muslims, but most especially due to the differences between the Muslim Sunnies and Shiites in the Middle east and then you get into the differences between the Hindus in India and Buddhists as you go farther east.

You culd write an encyclopedia on each of these religions and their histories in pick-and-choose geographic areas and still never cover it all. This is an extremely complex subject and is why we are having a great deal of political problems in this area today, and always have. Iraq, of course, is the latest on everyones mind, but the struggles in this and other Middle East regions go back centuries before this.

12. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

thanks for the 5:30am distraction from differential equations.

13. valich Registered Senior Member

How can you do differential equations with half your mind - one eye - on the computer screen? Teach me that one so I can also improve my concentration and focus!

14. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Okay, so now that I've seen that .....how can the Palestinians say that they own all of the land of Israel? I didn't see "The Palestinian Empire" in that whole history, did you? But I did see that that area was owned by about a gazillion different empires. Hmmm?

Baron Max

15. Roman Banned Banned

The conflicts in the Middle East are older than those of Sunni and Shiite. Much, much older.

16. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

Because through the last few empires, they were the ones living there.

Bit like the Maoris were the only ones living in New Zealand awhile back.

17. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

easy, you just realize that you F'ed up the problem about 20 steps back, tear out your paper, and take a 5 minute break at sciforums. repeat about 5 times.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. Muslim Immortal Valued Senior Member

This is wrong, the Islamic Ottoman Empire was much larger, it stretched to India.

19. Hani Registered Senior Member

Middle East, as the "middle" in its name suggests, lies in the middle of the world with its continents and peoples...

That's the reason why this area has been so troubled; because it's the center of the world...

And those who pay the price of all those troubles are those who were born there...

by the way ... history is just a bullshit ... billions of people have died for no purpose , all the events are just results of stupidity and randomness and nonsense ... people are worth nothing and they kill and die for no reason ... it's a total miss ...

Just like the way the universe started with a blast ... everything in it is random and makes no sense ... why would people be different?

They are elements of this randomness and they are not any more special than dust particles or bugs...

It might be that when a smart enough species come out that they will get themselves out of this miss ... but they're definitely not us...

20. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I do a lot of googling, it seems that many of the questions posted on SciForums can be answered that way and looking them up is an easy way to learn new stuff. But no, I've been interested in languages and linguistics all of my life so I know how the Ottomans started out as Mongols and intermarried with everyone they met along the way so by the time they reached Turkey they were Turks with mixed blood from the Indian, Persian, Arab, Aramaic, Palestinian, Jewish, etc. people they conquered. I turned 14 in 1957, a couple of months before Sputnik.
    Well the map shows them in northern India and what is now Pakistan. I presume because of the specifics of the partitioning that that may be a fair representation of their influence, with the glaring exception of what is now Bangladesh and was formerly East Pakistan and before that obviously a large Muslim region of India and before that probably part of the Ottoman occupied territories.

But I can't believe that huge swath of what used to be the southern USSR wasn't also part of the Ottoman Empire. With the exception of the Tajiks, who are a Persian tribe and therefore Indo-Europeans, the rest of the "Stans" are all homelands of Turkic tribes.

I'm pretty sure that even the Muslim Uighurs of the abutting Chinese province of Xinjiang share that history.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
  21. geodesic "The truth shall make ye fret" Registered Senior Member

I know that feeling.

22. Muslim Immortal Valued Senior Member

At the hight of the Ottoman Empire It stretched from southeastern Europe (Bavarian town of Regensburg) to what is now Bangladesh. And all of the territory which was shown to be conquer by the Moguls (Mongolians) near the top.

The didn't call him Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent! nothing.

23. Muslim Immortal Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 4, 2006