Gated or Ghettoed?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by outlandish, Oct 31, 2006.

1. outlandish smoki'n....... Registered Senior Member

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

In most cities of the USA, the people are building "prisons" for themselves in order to keep out the more free-wheeling criminals which the cops and courts can't or won't control.

We have more locks, alarm systems, window bars and fences than most prisons ....and we call ourselves free.

Baron Max

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

People in the US are taught to live in a climate of fear, so some feel the need to barricade themselves in a private area where they feel safe.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

People are taught??? No, James, they see reality, they see what goes on around them, they see crime and viciousness happening to their neighbors, and they don't want it happening to themselves. And so they try to protect themselves because they realize that the police can't protect them.

What ye're doing, James, is projecting your own values onto others. Because you don't have to live with such crime, you think others should be as fearless and content as you. That's a damnd poor idea of compassion, James ....and I thought you were just overflowing with compassion?

In fact, it's my thought that just such idealistic "compassion and sympathy" as you claim for the criminals that's caused the worsening in crime and violence, thus forced us to hide behind fences and security alarms and bars on the windows. And to make it worse, I'll bet that you're one of those guys who doesn't think we should have guns for our own protection, am I right? You want to give the criminals a free pass.

Baron Max

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Seems strange to me that you're the one cowering with a gun and you blame people like James for the increasing crime rates.

I mean if he's not surrounded by crime or finds it necessary to have a gun, why are you the one who is afraid?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2006
  9. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

I don't need alarms, I live in the indestrucxtable public housing with brick walls, steel screens, bulletproof windows, and 3 inch steel doors. I can be a prisoner without all that extra nonsense.

10. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Perhaps it's because I don't live in the crime-free area in which James lives?

And I do blame people like James for the increase in crime ...like many other liberal doo-gooders, they coddle and pamper criminals, which allows them more free rein and more freedom ...to commit more crimes!

Sam, I don't think you fully grasp the idea of crime, violent crime. First and foremost, it's happening all around where I live, all day, all night, every day, every night. The cops arrest a suspected murderer ...then a judge lets that same guy back out on the street after making the man promise to be good!!!

But second, and probably the most important, .......it only has to happen to me once, Sam! Should I take that chance? Should I gamble with my life and the lives of my family on those odds? Do you gamble like that with your own life or the lives of your family?

You say that I'm afraid ....as if that's silly of me or paranoid. But that's not the case, Sam, and it's not much different to how people in Iraq feel with the Muslim extremists all around the cities. Do you think they have a right to be afraid? And do you denigrate them as paranoid?

Baron Max

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You guys are really paranoid.

12. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Are the Iraqis really paranoid, too?

And by the way, Sam, isn't that statement a gross generalization? ...like you constantly accuse me of doing about the Muslims of the world??????????? Hmmmm???????????

Baron Max

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I'm restricting myself to the guys here on sciforums, all of you pro-gun possession guys come off sounding like loonies. The generalisations are as usual in your mind.

And btw, Iraqis also have guns, most of them.

Really helping them out now, isn't it?

14. outlandish smoki'n....... Registered Senior Member

james, given that the definition of a ghetto I gave is accepted as fairly valid, would you say that these gated communites can be defined as ghettos?

15. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

In their own minds, maybe it is helping. I.e., if the Sunnis kill enough Shittes, then they won't have to worry about Shittes killing their families and friends, huh? See?

Sure, maybe that's the way it is. I can't argue with that principle, I just wish one group would hurrry up and wipe the others out and not kill our soldiers while doing it.

Baron Max

16. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

The problem is ....you're using a strict definition, while the actual, accepted terminilogy of "ghetto" is something totally different.

No, gated communites are NOT considered as "ghettos" by anyone with any knowledge of real-world language.

Baron Max

17. outlandish smoki'n....... Registered Senior Member

1)accepted terminology by who?
    2) what is the definition of this more actual and accepted terminology?
    3) explain how this definition (2) is more valid and more authoritative than the strict definition.

18. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

If you don't already know, then nothing I say will make any difference.

Good luck,

Baron Max

19. outlandish smoki'n....... Registered Senior Member

sounds like cognitive surrender to me.

20. sderenzi Banned Banned

Baron Max? Are you sure this kinda of thing has happened before, I know of no instance where a judge specifically stated "You're suspected of murder but I'll let you out if you promise to behave".

The cops arrest a suspected murderer ...then a judge lets that same guy back out on the street after making the man promise to be good!!!

21. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Huh? It's called "bail" ....do you live in a cave??

After making bail, the suspected murderer is free to walk around the streets with the same protection as you or me! And he's also free to go out and find any witnesses to his original crime and kill them. Pretty neat system of justice that we have, ain't it?

And please note that the suspected murderer or rapist or whatever is often out on bail for years before his trial .....that's right, it's often years!! And in all that time, he's perfectly free to kill or rape again. And just so you know, he's also afforded all of the normal protections of the police and the law.

Baron Max

22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Baron Max:

Most of what you know of crime comes from TV or news media. As the old saying goes "If it bleeds, it leads." The media, and particularly the US media, beats up violent crime so you imagine it is everywhere, just lurking around the corner ready to get you. It isn't.

He he, you do make me laugh.

Currently, the United States has over 1% of its total population, or over 2 million people, in prison, and is building more prisons all the time and locking up more and more people. What is causing this supposed "crime wave"? In fact, is there a crime wave at all? There isn't. You just think there is. Crime in the US is the lowest it has ever been, by many measures. If you don't believe me, do a little research for yourself. Yet you're finding more and more reasons to lock people away from society. Why? Because you live with irrational fear.

You know I am. You don't need a gun to protect yourself. You're just scared of shadows.

You're not campaigning for office here, Baron. It's no use trotting out the standard politician's line with me. I know more about crime than the average guy on the street.

What makes you think I live in a crime-free area? Very few areas are crime free, Baron.

Nice rhetoric, but baseless.

You're hardly living in a war zone, Baron.

outlandish:

Using your definition, of course they are ghettos.

I'm not sure your definition is the one most people use, though...

23. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Ahh, ye're right, James ....there is no crime in the world. Sorry, I'm just a scared, frightened, wimpy old man.

Baron Max