Left-handedness

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Caramel Popcorn, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Caramel Popcorn Registered Member

Has anyone seen/done any good studies into how left-handers think differently? In my own experience they just do, but this is mostly intuitive and though evidence confirms it, it is not definable. Do others have any of what can be called 'proper evidence'?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Caramel Popcorn, welcome to sciforums.

I do not have any info on the differences of thought between lefties and righties. I would add this though, during the middle ages it was thought that left handedness would for some reason allow in evil spirits so they invented a right handed spoon that could only be used in the right hand to teach toddlers to be right handed.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ismu ::phenomenon::. Registered Senior Member

I've read some article (personaly I don't know much about human anatomy) which describe that right parts of body mostly controlled by left side of brain. Otherwise, left part of body mostly controlled by right side brain.

The articles also said that left side of brain processing 'methodical' thought such as reading, math, physics etc. And the right side of brain processing 'imaginative' thought such as feeling, art, intuition, etc.

By using left hand more often than right hand, it was stimulate right side brain become more active than the left side one. Based on this hypothesis, left-handed people become more intuitive, sensitive, but a little bit harder to think in well organized manner.

Allas, the best thing if we can use all of capability of both side of brain at once. Thus intuitive thingking and methodical thinking can work together in harmony. There are many method to achieve this. Learn to play music such as piano or guitar or drums, which can force both side of body to work together, is one good method.

In the article also give an example for a small test, are both side of our brain can work together well. Hold pencils on both hands, try to draw different shape at once. For example left hand drawing number 8, and right hand drawing a circle, continously. Then try to make more complex tasks, such as writing different word using both hands at once.
    If both shapes can be drawn well, it means our brain can work together well.
    Btw, i'm not sure myself about this. It's all up to you.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

It seems to me that they would have to think differently all the time, just for the basics of everyday life in a world designed for right-handed people-- poorly designed scissors, corkscrews that turn the wrong way, wrist watches with stems on the wrong side and anything with a molded pistol grip are among the obstacles with which southpaws have to contend. Some results from studies I reviewed during a quick romp around the web:
    • Left-handed children are more likely to test out as highly creative and to have extremely high verbal or math ability--both of which are considered to be predominantly left-brain functions.
    • Among children with autism and other developmental disabilities, there is a higher proportion of left-handers than in the population as a whole.
    • Some research shows that left-handers are more likely to have dyslexia. Other studies, however, find no such thing.
    • Some believe that left-handers are more likely to be "right-brained"--that is, high in visual-spatial abilities and low in analytical-verbal abilities. In some studies, however, non-right-handers score lower (not higher) on nonverbal abilities, and in many other studies there is no difference in nonverbal IQ between left-handed and right-handed children.
    • Some research has suggested that left-handed people die sooner--in one case, several years sooner!--than right-handed ones. Other, larger studies have found very little, if any, difference. On the other hand, it seems clear that left-handed children and adults have a greater risk of hand injury, and perhaps injury in general, because many tools (including power tools) are available only in right-handed versions.
    • There is conflicting evidence about whether left-handedness goes along with a variety of medical diagnoses, including migraine headaches, seizures, and rare immune system problems.
    Another interesting tidbit I came across: according to a group of Canadian scientists, lesbians and gay men are more likely than others to be left-handed. Putting together the results of 20 previous studies that involved more than 23,000 men and women, the scientists concluded that the odds of being left-handed are 39 percent higher in gays than in heterosexuals. Broken down by gender, they found that gay men were 34 percent more likely to be left-handed and lesbians were 91 percent more likely to be left-handed. It occurs to me that this is additional evidence that sexual orientation is at least partly determined in the womb.

There is lots of interesting information out there. Good topic choice to introduce yourself to SciForums. Welcome!

Peace.

8. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Welcome at Sciforums Caramel Popcorn.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

That you may post long and happy here.

I agree with Ismu here.

My son is left-handed. He can manage himself rather well. Now-a-days it is not such a problem any more to be left-handed. The grandfather of my son is also left-handed and he was not allowed to write left-handed when he went to school. I am happy for my boy that this attitude has changed over the years...

9. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

A PERTINENT ASSIDE

If your index finger is 'stubby' in comparison with your ring finger, research has shown your have a more forceful attitude to life. Many lesbian women share this trait.

My Boss is left handed. I can't wait to tell her she's nuts and she's gonna die young. (actually she's quite cool but I'm gonna tell her anyway!)

Don'cha just love statistics

10. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

My mother and my best friend are lefties and they are both overly hyper selfish maniacs! But I love em to death

11. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

Which side do they prefer to use a fork?

12. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

BBC,
    I dont know, Ill have to observe the next time we go out. I will keep ya posted though

13. Merlijn curious cat Registered Senior Member

Here is a easy-to-read scienctific book on brain lateralisation (and related: left-handedness). I liked it very much. the copy I have is a 4th edition, maybe a newwer has been released. I don't know.

Left Brain, Right Brain (4th ed.)
    Springer, S.P. & Deutsch, G.
    1993, Freeman and Company, Oxford, England
    ISBN 0-7167-2372-7 or 0-7167-2373-5

have fun.

14. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

They say that the left side of the brain controls the right.
    They say that the right side has to work hard all night.
    Maybe I think too much for my own good,
    Some people say so.
    Other people sy No, no
    The fact is ya don't think as much as ya could

Paul Simon

15. Inka Cosmic Princess Registered Senior Member

Apparently children born left handed - but forced to use the right hand (religious reason - devil is left handed etc) are more likly to grow up to have dyslexia, dyscalcula and dyspraxia
    Ink x

16. Caramel Popcorn Registered Member

Thank you

Thanks everyone, for the responses and for the welcome.

17. Jez Optimist Registered Senior Member

Im a leftie and I think different

but so do you and you and you...

18. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

The devil is left handed? ...yes, of course he must be, since I am!

But I´m really ambidextrous, I use both my hands equally much. However I prefer to write with my left hand, but uses the right when using scissors for example. When I paint I can switch hands without even noticing it, if the other hand gets tired, it goes automatically.
    My cousin is ambidextrous too, so maybe it´s a genetic thing...but we are very alike in many other ways too, almost like twin sisters.

We were born only 34 days apart at the same hospital.