Harry Houdini Was a Spy?

Discussion in 'History' started by Raven, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Raven Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

It'd make me respect him even more, that's for sure.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. .... Mmmm, and the "true life" adventure stories Houdini's publicists commissioned HP Lovecraft to ghost-write chronicling Harry's extraordinary adventures pitted against exotic villains and battling supernatural forces, rescuing damsels in distress in far away lands transpire to be actually based on fact also...

Personally, I can't help but feel Houdini was of himself quite enough of an extraordinary fellow to render such further embellishments as nothing less than mere insult to the memory of the man.

If it ever crops up on the net, I'll likely nick it: but purchase such a thing? Not likely.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

8. valich Registered Senior Member

Sounds like just a bunch of hypothesized fictional speculation by an author to write a book just to make a profit, as many other authors do today:

"Scotland Yard in the early 20th century, helped launch Houdini's European career by allowing the performer to demonstrate his escape skills. Houdini, at a demonstration arranged by Melville, slipped free from a pair of Scotland Yard handcuffs as an audition for a London theater owner. The book suggests that Melville's compliance was part of a quid pro quo in which Houdini worked as a spy. A similar situation occurred in Chicago, where Houdini's career took off after a publicity stunt aided by a local police lieutenant."

To be consistent, shouldn't the author also accuse Houdini of being a spy for the Chicago police?

This stunt is an amazing example of Houdini's death-defying perserverance:
    "Houdini was a relentless self-promoter in the style of P.T. Barnum, although he didn't play his audience for suckers. The biography recounts one 1902 escape, in Blackburn, England, where Houdini refused to surrender despite the use of plugged locks that made his freedom almost impossible. After two hours, Houdini escaped to a standing ovation. The next day his arms were "hideously blue and swollen, with large chunks of flesh torn out," the book recounts. Because of the way the chains and rigged locks were fastened, Houdini "had no choice but to tear out the chunks of his flesh to get free."

9. Thixotropic Registered Member

Yummy

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I think it's kinda funny even from the grave he is still pimping himself and so close to Halloween too.

BOO!