Tongue Piercing May Cause Suicide Disease!

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by valich, Oct 29, 2006.

1. valich Registered Senior Member

"The stabbing pains in her face felt like electrical shocks that lasted 10 to 30 seconds and struck 20 to 30 times a day. Her doctors diagnosed trigeminal neuralgia, a nerve disorder sometimes called “suicide disease” because of the excruciating and dispiriting pain it causes. Doctors tried painkillers, then stronger medication, but in the end, a cure proved more simple: The young woman removed the metal stud from her pierced tongue.

Other life-threatening complications linked to tongue piercing include tetanus, heart infections, brain abscess, chipped teeth and receding gums. One woman developed so much scar tissue that it resembled what she called a “second tongue.”

“There are people who have been dropped to their knees” by trigeminal neuralgia, said Alana Greca, a registered nurse and director of patient support for the Trigeminal Neuralgia Association. “That’s how intense and how horrendous the pain can be. The teenager is lucky her pain disappeared."

Her advice to people considering tongue piercing: “Don’t do that. My experience was so bad. I was so sick and now I feel much better.”

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15305276/

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

Kissing and er, other things, with a girl with a pierced tongue is quite nice though

Interesting, never would have thought it could cause so many problems.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I'd never even heard of it until I saw Pulp Fiction. It became much more common afterwards. I guess a lot of people got the idea from the movie. I wonder if they got any other ideas? Better get the Gimp!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. valich Registered Senior Member

Sounds gross to me! French kissing too?

Why defile your body with artificial this-and-thats?

Take breast piercing - or ear piercing too, I guess - or belly button piercing (ugh!). Did you hear the news of the 18 year-old girl who decided to have her breast pierced as a birthday present and is now still listed in critical condition after having multiple surgeries to remove all the spreading dead tissue - including her breast - after a serious bacterial infection set in?

What's the purpose? Rings on ears, noses, lips, tongues, breasts, belly buttons, penises, eye lids, anywhere else that anyone can think of putting them. All more easily to get hooked on something and get accidently pulled off causing further harm to the body - possible infection and possible death. All for the superficial purpose of "just trying to look or be differrent." Dumb.

8. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Well, i think if they study long enough they will find that it is mostly improperly pierced tongues that produce such effects. Or just as likely the person already had other risk factors for these problems and the tongue peircing provided a catalyst. After all I know several people with peirced tongue there is a single chipped tooth or other side-effect among them. of course they maybe just unbelievably lucky. Personally I would never do it.

9. xandrique moniqueface Registered Senior Member

Piercings may seem pointless but it's just esthetics. I wear earrings because they bring a focus to the face and look elegant if they're chosen carefully (probably one of the girliest things I've ever said)... they also distract cats and hook onto certain sweaters.

So I'm in agreement that they're not utilitarian.

10. sderenzi Banned Banned

I agree, piercing any part of the body serves no real function, in the end it's meaningless. As for the rest of why woman do the things they do who knows

11. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Before getting a tongue piercing, people ought to ask: Does Marcellus Wallace look like a bitch?

12. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Trigeminal neuralgia is a terribly painful and delibitating condition and can be caused by many factors not only body piercings. Few people respond to drug treatments and there is very little information on how to combat it. Fortunately though, after a member of my family had it I did some internet research and found that surgical treatments for trigeminal neuralgia do exist. One of the most effective involves the placement of glycerine somewhere in the region of the trigeminal ganglion, by an incision just behind the ear. The treatments are effective for many years, if not for life.

13. Roman Banned Banned

For the same reason peacocks have lots of feathers, or elk have huge antlers. Sexual selection.

14. draqon Banned Banned

The probability of tongue piercing causing death is as much and as little as a probability of a human eating a grasshopper in his/her lifetime.

15. Terrible-Tash Registered Member

I've never before heard of tongue piercings causing most of that stuff...
    But i have heard of someone dying (but that was because the piercer was an idiot and accitentaly pierced on the the veins in the tongue, how he managed to screw up so bad? i have NO clue)...

&& how the heck can it cause a heart infection!? =|