Ok, so you're Gay - Do you have to be such a ruddy big poof about it?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Mr Anonymous, Oct 27, 2006.

1. It's never been a thing I've particularly understood - not the subject of Homosexuality - the business of camp, so-called effeminate behaviour... Queening it up, and so-forth as social stereotype dictates?

Is this actually part and parcel of a chap being necessarily gay, or is it more a social response - the cliché of the homosexual male being somehow more feminine in nature than heterosexual males and therefore branded as such who, in turn, embrace the cliché as given and basically say "up your's world!" with it and lard it around like there's no tomorrow as a way of making the best of a bad hand society as a whole has deemed fit to bestow.

Or, is camp effeminate behaviour actually a very real part of the whole parcel that comes with homosexuality?

Those in the know, please enlighten, the rest of you by all means discuss - or I'll hit you all with m'handbag....

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Genji Registered Senior Member

Not all gay men act like women. You'd never know I was gay by just watching me or talking to me. I find the queeny behavior a big turnoff. Gay guys do not turn me on. Now when a group of gay friends is living it up at a club or party it's fun and funny. I only get girly after I'm hammered, then ONLY in the presence of other gays.
    Man looking/acting lesbians are also a turnoff to me, again, unless we're partying with 'family.'

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Now, there y'go. That makes absolutely perfect sense. As a chap interested in other chaps - you're interested in males. Masculine attributes. That makes absolute sense...

So why get get a tad girly when hammered in gay male company?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Genji Registered Senior Member

Tis true. A sweaty 20 something construction worker wiping his brow in the blazing Midwestern heat is a turnON. A femme guy tousling his hair while strutting across the street is a turnOFF.
    When you're hiding something that could get you beaten to death all your life, worrying constantly that you'll be discovered and shunned forever you tend to develop a 2nd personality. Otherwise it brings you down. This is where I can't get straights that think people CHOOSE to be outcasts and compared to dogfuckers and people that engage in incest or worse. Ya think anyone would choose to be marginalized? Shunned? Living in built in shame heaped on you by the religions of the world? By family? Co-workers? The President?! Hell No.
    So when you're out with friends you can relax all the rules, deflate the stress balloon and bump hips to Liza Minelli!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Hypothetical question - were the world actually a descent place, not at all the shit-heap people like to make it for everyone who isn't themselves - a society that simply accepted as a matter of course homosexuality and made no judgements about it whatsoever...

When relaxed and with family, as y'put it, would you still want to do the Liza thing when slightly sozzled or would you be simply the obviously perfectly masculine fellow you actually are?

As you relay: your a masculine chap attracted to males, not women. That's where your sexuality is focused - so, are you telling me this process of camping it up a bit in gay company is part of your sexuality here, or is it more a statement, a critique if you will, regarding gay society in general...

Basically, are you functioning within the terms of simply being homosexual in ones own terms, by shaking the old booty however one pleases, or is this more an immersing oneself as part of a greater, wider community embracing all manner of given sexual behaviour?

Sound like I'm writing you up for a paper. Promise I'm not....

9. draqon Banned Banned

gay people are gay because of low testosterone hormone in their bodies, basically gay people are abnormal humans, or softly speaking mutants.

10. Genji Registered Senior Member

The 'camping it up' with friends is an alcohol induced "HEY! Look at me! I'm a homo and I'M gettin GIRLYMAN on yo asses! MM-Hmm!" It's the same phenom that afflicts otherwise genial and marriage oriented straight men to go to seedy bars and prowl for whores, or get drunken and obnoxious with buddies watching the game at a sports pub. It's you, just the repressed side HAS to get air.

11. Genji Registered Senior Member

Actually we have the same level of testosterone, or more, than breeders. It's in the brain you Pamyat dumbfuck.

12. draqon Banned Banned

oh so...its ever more serious than I thought...

...gay people got brain mutations!

wow...thanks for clearing that up.

And whats Pamyat?...is that some gay slang used by mutants?

13. Genji Registered Senior Member

I have an extra brain dangling next to my testes. If you were really in Russia you would know what Pamyat is. Search for yourself Ivan.

14. draqon Banned Banned

I c.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats not an extra. Thats where most guys keep their real brains.

16. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

It always surprises me when people draw conclusions about someone's sexuality based on their personality and mannerisms. And I get very odd looks when I don't draw the same conclusions.

Why do people assume that a guy who acts campy is gay?

17. So, basically, your confirming that it's nothing to do with your actual sexuality just piddling around, 'avin' a laaaaarf... excellent! Glad I've managed to get by in life with that part of things relatively well sorted at anyrate, thank you.

Kind of half the point in raising the question really - I mean, it's never made any sense to me whatsoever the notion that Gay = Limp Wrist, Handbags and synchronised mincing. It's about men finding other men attractive - nevertheless, various gay acquaintances queen it up like there's no tomorrow and not only appear to embrace the cultural stereotype of Gay = Limp whatsits and all the rest, but strongly take it as a personal identification of who they are as people....

Being a dyed in the hetero I can honestly say I have no concept whatsoever about gay male life, except in terms of what fun it must be getting the short end of the stick simply for being open about what one feels. Doesn't seem rightly fair to me, but that doesn't necessarily follow that I understand so much as a single stick of it.

Hence, I suppose, the question and the raising of.

18. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

I find there's often little, if any, difference between gay and straight people as far as masculinity. Such generalizations can only possibly be made by the brain-dead. The world is just not this simple, people.

Are you speaking from knowledge of yourself, malchik?

19. J.B Banned Banned

20. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Erik Estrada is one to talk, isn't he?

21. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

Mr A

I know many straight men who 'camp' it up, so gay men don't have a monopoly on this type of behaviour at all. unfortunately though it does cause a problem for those straight men when everyone thinks they are gay!

I myself have personal exp of effem. men and can assure you they were not gay, not before and not after either

Once I was told I had the mannerisms of a gay man which proves my point, flamboyant gestures have been made the domain of gay men when in reality that is all they are, flamboyant exagerated gestures. Myself I am very animated and 'act' out stories I tell, so always entertaining to watch.

Men who do the same just get labelled gay.

22. outlandish smoki'n....... Registered Senior Member

but isn't it readily accepted that within a homosexual relationship there is the issue of who is the more masculine partner and who is the more feminine partner?

Also there have been a few points regarding homosexuality that I've wondered about but thought best not to raise since I don't think it's possible to discuss the concept of homosexuality on an ideological level in a rational manner without someone playing the homophobic card. Anyway I've thought it interesting:

1) how all homosexual men have heterosexual fathers. Furthermore all homosexual men contain the diploid number of chromosomes (the haploid number from the maternal side plus the haploid number from the paternal side) ie all homosexual men themselves are the product of heterosexuality.

2) How there is a distinct contradiction between the sexuality of a person on a cognitive level and the biology of that person, in that on the one hand a man is aware that he is homosexual, yet thet isn't supported on a biological level by that mans body, ie: his testicles still produce sperm so he is still quite clearly primed for reproduction (as far as the body is concerned) which raises the question what is indeed natural? ie pertaining to nature.

23. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Not necessarily! Being homosexual doesn't mean "Never had hetero sex."

It is indeed interesting, and I think is the root of anti-homosexual sentiment.
    But again, being homosexual doesn't mean "doesn't reproduce". I think that as far as "natural" goes, perhaps it's monogamy that's unnatural, and polyamorous bisexuality may be the closest to "natural". Not that "natural" is a great clue to "good".