boxing

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Oniw17, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Anyone watch boxing? I was watching my download of the Calzaghe-Lacey fight, and it seems like Lacey was having an off day. Anyone see the fight? Maybe it's just that I'm not ready to aknowledge that America is losing at the one thing we have to be proud of. Anyway, this is a boxing thread, so if you have anything to say about boxing...

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

Hi Oniw

i hope you are well.

I am not sure whether Jeff Lacey was having a bad day, maybe he was. but one thing i a ma pretty certain of is that Calzaghe, spanked the yank!!

He basically gave him no breathing space at all.

so what was you greatest fight of all time?

###################

take care
    zak

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Calzaghe is a great fighter, but that fight was so one-sidied it's ridiculous. As for my favorite fight ever, I thought it was kind of funny when Ali beat George Foreman with his back against the ropes the whole time.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

Hi Oniw,

As far as the rumble in the jungle fight is concerned that was tactical genius by Ali....

I love the way he was biging himself up before the fight saying he was going to dance round foreman and that he was too quick and all that stuff.

when it came to the fight he had completely different tactics.. big george must have been thinking WTF.

The thriller in minila was a dammed good fight, so brutal!!

Jo frazier always proved tough fights for ali.

###############

Take care
    zak

8. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Yeah, Minila wasn't one-sided for a second. Great fight, I've noticed a lot of non-boxing fans don't know who you're talking about when you say Joe Frazer, but bring up Ali, and "he's the best." Maybe it's the movie.

9. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

Hey Oniw,

i got that Ali VS Fraiser fight on DVD a few months ago.

it also had the Foreman Vs fraiser fight which was really one sided. However fraiser was so hardhe just kept getting up for more punishment.. i think foreman must have knocked him down about six times.

did you see the first Benn vs eubank fight, now that was good too.

or one i saw recently which was really good was johnson vs woods

###############

take it ez
    zak

10. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

I have Benn-Eubank downloaded, and I'm looking for Johnson-Woods right now. What happened in the Marciano-Ali fight? I have it downloaded, but just the last minute, where Rocky puts the hands to him, is that the whole thing?

11. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

Hey Oniw

where do you download these fights from??

i dont know abiut the Marciano VS Ali fight, when was that?? I am not a conosour of boxing, but do like to watch the fights if i can..

I would love to watch the eubank - benn fight again.

and what about the benn vs mcleran (wrong spelling) that was a fantastic fight even though it perhaps should have been over in the frist round when benn was out of the ring!!

~~~~~~
    take it ez
    zak

12. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

I download some from limewire, some I watch online, if I can't find them there, I use bearshare, but getting a license is really annoying. I watch fights ot TV when I can, but they aren't on very much for some reason. I'll have to check online for the time of the Marciano fight, but Ali goes to get up, and he falls against the ropes, then on the ground for a minute.

13. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

yeah the licnes can be a real pain.

I use limewire and Bearshare, however i am having a real problem with it at the moment.

did you see the hatton vs kustozu fight?
    ###########
    take care]
    zak

14. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

the Benn-Eubank rivalry was my favourite

15. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

yeah I always prefred Eubank over Benn..

Eubank had such an offkey character, he was well amusing.

however i would always support benn in any of his fights apart from the 2 against Eubank

#####################

take care
    zak

16. Aardvark Registered Member

Rocky Marciano never ever fought Ali (Cassius Clay)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

Just goes to show the pundits aren't always right. Lacey was the huge favourite to win that fight, even Calzaghe's fans were worried. Lacey had an off night, in so much that he was completely out classed by Calzaghe in every department. A rematch would be pointless because it was a mismatch to start with (hindsight of course).
    Boxing has become as much about the promoters getting the best deal as it has about who is the greatest boxer. Boxers can choose to fight who they like, which is different to most other sports. In that respect it's hard to know who is or was the best fighter in any given weight class, American or otherwise.

18. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

He didn't?!?! Wow then, that video was doctored up pretty good.

19. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Um, it would be pretty difficult, since Marciano was fighting in the late '40s to mid-'50s and Ali didn't turn pro until 1960.

20. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

You're right. It was Joe Louis; a wonderful reason not to trust the titles of downloads. My bad. Anyone see the Pavlik-Taylor fight? I used to live in the same neighborhood as the former, and my mom met his wife at a baby shower. I'd like to see him fight Kessler or Calzaghe. If you seen the fight, what'd you think of it?

21. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Boxing is an event that the outcome can easily be "rigged". If to much money is bet on one individual to win the Bookies will get the fight "thrown" so that they don't take a big loss. This happens alot in boxing as well as other sports. That's why I don't watch or care much about boxing or most other sports for they all can be "fixed".

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Boxers are some of the cockiest people on earth, and they make up to $12,000,000 a fight(the boxers who matter anyway). Why on earth would they throw a fight for private bets because of the odds? Anyway, did anyone see Calzaghe put the hands to Mikkel Kessler today?