The Matrix - Sucks or Not?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by sderenzi, Oct 21, 2006.

1. sderenzi Banned Banned

Last edited: Oct 21, 2006
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sderenzi Banned Banned

Yeah I know, me silly I luV u!

((((((TruthSeeker))

That last link is especially funny.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

The first Matrix movie was amazing. The others sucked.
    But honestly, I think the first one is probably one of my all time favorites. I think it should be many other people's all time favorite too, but the other movies sucked, so people forget how awesome the first one really was.

It's just one of those movies that hit me at exactly the right time. It has a great story, awesome special effects, interesting philosophical concepts and it was very stylishly done. It truly raised the bar. Think about how many Matrix spoofs you've seen in movies and on flash cartoons. Think about the magnititude of the movie's cult following.

But what makes you bring up the Matrix now? lol, honestly.

8. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

My sentiments exactly. Especially the 3rd one.

It should have been subtitled "Revulsion".

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. sderenzi Banned Banned

I was just bored and sitting here alone at work began thinking about it. I was interested in what others felt concerning the series. I feel they had a bad cast, Keanu wasn't exactly great in his acting, I felt like he didn't really believe the situation he'd been placed in.

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I was also looking forward to yet another poll.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

I like the trilogy.

- N

12. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

Don't get me wrong. Overall, I think Keanu is a terrible actor. But for some reason, he suits the role of Neo. I don't know how. But it works for him. Maybe because he's so good at pulling off being blank and spacy.

I heard that Samuel Jackson was offered the role and he turned it down. He wanted the matrix code to be represented in purple instead of green. They declined, so he refused. Can you imagine what that movie would have been like if Jackson played Neo?

13. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I agree completely. The first matrix was amazing. Great action. Great special effects. Even a philosophically interesting concept that really threw me for a loop when he woke up in the pod. I dont' think I've ever been more surprised while watching a movie.

The second movie was OK, the third was a below average sci-fi action/adventure. If the creators of the show had surfed the web a bit, they could have come up with some ideas to maintain the intellectual standards of the first movie. Many theorized, for instance, that Zion was actually part of the Matrix. Or that the whole thing was a video game, or a dream. But to end the trilogy with Neo fighting a zillion agent Smiths.....WTF.

And those ridiculous "mech's" in Zion that afforded no protection to the operator whatsoever. They'd have been better served with gun turrets behind sandbags. And what about needing the codes for Zion? Wasn't that the whole point of the first movie? And why didn't they just defend Zion with a bunch of emp generators?

Anyway, the first movie was great. The second two were just cashing in.

14. Provita Provita Registered Senior Member

The trilogy as a whole sucked. The first movie was amazing, but I felt cheated in how Neo was shot and came back to life... The philosophical concepts of the movie were very well done and I loved the idea, although it had some holes that no one thought of. The action scenes were amazing and not overdone but Keanu Reeves wasnt the best at acting. Overall it was still pretty good. The second movie was alright. My problems with it were the action scenes.. they were too drawn out. The Chateau Fight sequence with the Merovingian's bodyguards was very very impressive and is, IMHO, the best fight scene in the trilogy. The problems were all the action scenes all happened at the same point in the movie and so you are left with 50 minutes of nonstop action and it tends to get boring after a while. Not to mention some of the usage of CGI is TERRIBLY done! Some of the concepts were still somewhat interesting though, but didnt match up with the first at all. The only real reason I was the second one is for the Chateau scene. The third movie was terrible... all the cliffhangers and unfinished concepts of the second movie were unadressed, forgotten, or unanswered. They stopped focusing on neo and focused on Zion, and the story was total crap. The only smewhat decent scene was the fight for Zion, and even that lasted too long and seemed repetative. The end fight scene with Neo and Agent Smith was horrible... absolutely horrible... completely CGI animated, bad special effects, and flying? FLYING? Horrible... a disgrace... I only watch the first one and the Chateau scene. Nothing more.

15. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Isn't it funny how worked up we get about this movie? I totally agree with your assessment. Basically, everything in Zion was crap. I was picturing it as some ultra high tech haven for hackers. It turns out to be a third world country full of peasants dancing by firelight!

16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I saw the first one. It was entertaining. Although to a sci fi reader the premise was hardly original it was still executed well enough to hold my interest and wonder how it was going to turn out. But it was only fun, its cultural value was nil. I don't even remember it until someone else mentions it as you have. I find myself remembering some of the thought-provoking situations and memorable lines of dialog on cheaply-produced South Park years later. In contrast the Matrix is utterly forgettable.

One thing I'm getting very tired of is the reliance on CGI to amaze us. I have seen enough of it now that no matter how much the technology advances it cannot amaze me by itself. It still requires the elements of a good film: storytelling, pacing, acting, characterization, etc. For example the Lord of the Rings series had some truly marvelous CGI, but it was never meant to be the main attraction. It just helped to enhance a good story with good characters.

17. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

"i'm sick of these motherfucking agents on this motherfucking digital plane"

18. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Will Smith was first approached for the role of Neo...can you imagine Fresh Prince playing Neo? Too weird to even imagine now since Keanu made the role totally his own.

19. nicholas1M7 Banned Banned

The first one and the third one was good. But the latter was a bit over the top. One can only be illy to a certain extent.

20. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

The Matrix was worse than the Chronicles of Amber book series.

21. Businesswiz Registered Senior Member

I find it interesting that the final matrix had a Building exploding right after a power outage was created by the matrix people. I like how a similar thing happened with 9-11-2001. I think the movies have deeper meaning and need to be watched over an over. This association might have been a coincidence. But my opinion remains that its a very deep movie.

22. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

dodge this

23. Roman Banned Banned

I was watching the Matrix again, and all the lines seemed like jokes, but they weren't. They were being serious. I guess that happens when a movie gets parodied for 6 years.

Reeves does cyberpunk pretty well. I'm not sure why. He's so clueless.