time

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Mariejozee, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Mariejozee Registered Member

is anyone able to tell me what time is ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Why don't you just ask about Santa Claus while you're at it? Ah ha ha ha just kiddin

From my perspective time is the movement of matter, the aging of matter. I'm no physicist but that's all I can give ya for now.

Hope this answers your question! (even though it probably doesnt)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Time is a human invention...

Time is made up, so humans can control their lifes. Now they know when to get up for school, work and whatever.

Guess the origin of time comes from the Ancient Ones. They measured the 'years' by the coming and going of the daylight and the darker days in the end of the year as we know it now. They lived by the Stars and measured their year not in the calender we are used to. They used time for knowing which season was coming up. Didn't have the word 'time' back then. They just lived by the Stars and the knowing that after the dark, cold days, the Sun would come to make their crops grow. No calender year whatso ever.

Until the Maya's came up with a calender which is different from our regular calender.

What exactly is time? I guess just what you make of it. It is an instrument to keep the people under control. At this time you go to sleep, because you have to get up early to go to school or work or whatever.

Should we live like it supposed to be, then we should sleep and work when our body tells us so and not at particular moments.

Like cats do, for instance. Sleep during the day and the night, just when they are tired, not at a certain time moment. Time is relative, I prefer to live without this control system. Because all in this world is controlled by time, you have no choice in this but to go with the hurd. Doesn't matter if you agree with it or not...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Time is the interval between two events.

8. Mariejozee Registered Member

I'm sorry to see that there is little interest in the most important "phenomenon" in our existance, come on you can better !:bugeye:

Well ok then I give you one: time=distance

9. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Mariejozee

Mr G response is complete. There is no need for further explanation to your question. You'll need to ask more questions.

10. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Piffle. Even if Mariejozee were merely looking for the "definition" of time, Mr. G's response falls well short of the mark.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2002
  11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Piffle?

Goofyfish

That entire cut and paste can be summarized by the following statement:

"Time is the interval between two events."

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

It's about 3.24 pm Australian Eastern Summer Time.

Oh, you want to know what time is, not what THE time is?

Well, time is what stops everything happening at once.

13. Mariejozee Registered Member

Come on lads be serious,

I'm postulating the following:

" time and distance are the same, the unit of time is meter, (or for the imperials, foot) or the unit of distance is second."
    All this is following from E =mc2 check it out !

14. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Time is a measure of when, other units of distance are length. It's like comparing apples to oranges; the totals aren't the equivelant.

If they were, gemme a couple of million seconds in the bank....

15. Mariejozee Registered Member

Now then guys, this is the leap to make, realise deeply what i postulated, really think it through, time is the third dimension, it's one of the three, even people say it: i'm living three minutes from the mall

16. ismu ::phenomenon::. Registered Senior Member

Mariejozee...

In relativity we can see speed of light as a reference to calculate the deformation of distance.

Perhaps... you've tried to play with dimensions incorrectly. Let us see your equation...

17. Hoth Registered Senior Member

"The interval between two events" is a rather weak definition considering events themselves require time to exist... as do intervals.

Not in a 3 dimensional sense. While it's true that you couldn't measure distance without time, but there could in theoretical terms be distance without time.

Time = motion. Time requires a change of distance between 2 things. If you had 1 elementary particle in the universe you wouldn't have time... and if you had 2 of them absolutely static relative to each other you still wouldn't have time even though there would be a distance between them (although the distance would be indefinable without interaction). Time arises when the distance between 2 particles changes.

However, you can measure time in meters from a 4 dimensional perspective. You'd just be measuring in a direction orthogonal to all our known directions.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2002
  18. scilosopher Registered Senior Member

I've always wondered if time (and for that matter distance [which I would not consider equivalentl]) is continuous or discontinuous. Matter and energy are discontinuous, so it might be difficult to even measure this but I've always wondered.

I'm also not so sure if time requires movement. Or if it's possible to have any completely stable state in the real world for that matter.

Also if time is the interval between two events that happen simultaneously then it is distance, isn't it? Or maybe another definition would be better ...

Maybe there are certain things that are fundamental and not easily defined in other terms and maybe time is one such thing ...

and maybe it's just time for me to shut up ...

19. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Hoth,

We all must deal with semantics, but your's is an unnecessary additional layer.

20. Mariejozee Registered Member

Right,

Imagine there IS only one particle in the universe, it is the universe then, ok, but it exists.
    Doesn't existence have an element of time in it ?
    So time is there when a particle is there. Only if the particle was two dimensional there is no time.

21. ismu ::phenomenon::. Registered Senior Member

Time and particle is totally different things. It's up to you to put time in your model of universe or not.

Well... ahem... ok, give us more clear, longer explanation so we can get clear picture of your idea. Image attachment will help much if you got one...

22. Mariejozee Registered Member

Imagine: a two dimensional scene, is it possible to feel, see hear or smell it, to detect it ? Does it exist ?

23. ismu ::phenomenon::. Registered Senior Member

Mariejozee

I'm trying to help. But you didn't help much.

Now I'm sure, I'm not confusing. YOU did confused yourself.

Bye