iPod VS Other

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by sderenzi, Oct 19, 2006.

?

You Should

1. Get One

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. Not Get One

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. sderenzi Banned Banned

I'm currently thinking about buying an Apple iPod. The only issue I'm dealing with is that right now I've got around 277 songs, only 7 are in mp3 format, 1 is in OGG. If I were to get an iPod it would play all the AAC/MP4's, that's fine.. so is there a better player I should be looking into, one that's less expensive but offers more features? I looked at Creative's stuff, also Samsungs, most seem unable to play MP4's.

Your opinions are much appreciated, I thank you.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Thread locked

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

nope.
    I was wondering that myself. Apple has a great reputation, though. You can always convert stuff to another format, there's freeware out there.
    I have 2993 songs so far, 15gb.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sderenzi Banned Banned

Well I would convert them to another format, the only question I had was would a quality loss occur. I've heard from other people that it's sorta like pouring water into a cup, you can change containers but there is always something lost quality-wise.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Perhaps, although that's the trade-off. You get massive storage but less than audiophile quality. Most people wouldn't notice.

9. sderenzi Banned Banned

I luV u spidergoat, do you wanna go out?!

: *

10. Roman Banned Banned

I doubt you'll notice the decrease in quality. With less than 300 songs, I doubt you're much of a music snob. The ear buds, which some may find uncomfortable, have incredible sound quality. They're as good as an expensive stereo system.

iTunes converts pretty much everything into MP4s, which then gets put on your iPod.

11. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

plust he video screen on the ipod is crisp and clear. Small but crisp, even though I have never, ever seen anyone watch a video on the video ipods.

I want to replace my old ipod but ipod is on the verge of releasing the next generation, all video ipod (I believe they're having trouble recreating the wheel function smoothly on a screen) so I don't wanna spend a couple of hundred bucks only to be left behind.

12. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

The wonderful thing about iPods is the quality of the craftmanship. I mean, just by looking, fiddling with the machine for a few seconds, you can sense great thought and passion that went into design.

I would say, get a 2GB nano. If you'd like support for a wider variety of codecs, install rockbox:
    http://www.rockbox.org/

13. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

I've got a 60GB Creative Zen Xtra (half-full). It shuns video, which is great. I can't say I'm completely over the moon with it though, as finding songs is a pain (the scroll function is rubbish and the find function might as well not be there). I do like those iPod scroll wheels, they're ingenious, but hate all this proprietary format nonsense, so I'd rather kill myself than buy one. Can anyone recommend any high-capacity alternatives?

14. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Windows just came out with a new mp3 player, yes? I saw a video of it on the microsoft tv website. Looks kinda neat. I've never really liked Windows Media Player though...
    It's only a matter of time before it gets hacked like the iPod was though. Rockbox it and rock on.

15. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

It's an iPod ripoff called the Zune and it's DRM infested crap. Oh - and it comes in Brown? MS is soooo avant garde

16. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Brown is shizzle, nizzle.

17. river-wind Valued Senior Member

the iPod doesn't play OGG, but something does...Maybe the Samsung player?

I've found ACC to be quite good, and am very happy still w/ my third-gen iPod 30-gig.

If you buy from Circuit-city, you get get a full replacement plan, which covers more than Apple's own Applecare Plan for iPods. CC even has refurb ipods sometimes. I got mine for about 60% the normal price.

18. Muslim Immortal Valued Senior Member

Get the 80 gig ipod.

Convert your tracks to MP3. Anything that is cheap is going to be shit.

19. Roman Banned Banned

Don't bother with an 80 gig hard drive if you have 200 songs.