Need advice…

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Ghost_007, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

I made a similar thread a while back:

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=58258

Our university tutors are always saying how they can’t check our assignments (before we hand them in), my grades so far have been average and it’s stressing me out, it’s frustrating to be stuck on a C grade. During my A-Levels I was one of the top students and would rip examinations and assignments to pieces (would get As). I know I have what it takes, I find the seminars and lectures easy, when it comes to group work I am always taking the lead and sorting the theory out. Now I’ve heard of private tutors that can help uni students out (go through their assignments and tell them how they can improve on them etc.)

Does anyone here know about these private tutors? Where can I find them, how do they work and how much do they charge? I would appreciate any help.

I have worked hard throughout my academic career and don’t want to fall at the final hurdle. I would be devastated if I got Cs for my dissertation and assignments.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Any other advice regarding the final year would be appreciated as well.

Cheers.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Does this happen in more than one subject? You write very well here, not even a typo. But it's still possible that on longer assignments you have some general problems that don't show up here.

Or it could be the way you approach assignments so that no matter how you say it, what you say isn't what the prof wants to see. You previous post suggests some insecurity in your ability to sort out the right ideas and put them together in the right way.

If you like, PM a short sample to me, no more than one page. I've been tutoring and mentoring people for decades so I can probably at least help you identify the specific problem--content, style, approach, reasoning, premise, etc. That will make it easier to decide where to go next.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

study...study...and yet more study. and maybe record the lectures.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

Hey Ghost

i hope you and yours are well.

is your course purely coursework/assignment orientated???

or is their exams which add to your final result??

With my experience of writting course work, and beleive me i have written quite a lot in my time, it is all about the structure and how you reference your soures etc... what subject are you studying? i imagine it is a degree of sorts.

###################
    take care
    zak

8. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

Fraggle Rocker, you’re a star!

In my exams I can get As and Bs but in short individual assignments I’m stuck on Cs. Longer pieces of coursework are fine, I had a major piece of coursework for my A-Levels, this was a feasibility study (the big one!) and I absolutely ripped that one, got an A in my first draft and my tutor never let me change it. It is the shorter assignments that I have problems with!

The tutors set us assignments where you could easily write up to 10,000 words however they’ll give you a word limit like 2,000! When I’m doing one of these assignments I’m always having to watch the word count, I find I’m sacrificing a lot in terms of examples and theory. Its frustrating when I have to go over the whole thing and cut out whole segments just so I hit the word count target, when I look at the final piece its like a skeleton, there’s no flesh, nothing to dig your teeth into, its just so dry. When the tutors mark it they always say something like ‘not thorough enough’! wth!?!? They set a 2000 word limit! They’re always saying be succinct but it’s bloody hard, I think its too late for me to solve that problem now, (I’m in my final year and have some short assignments in for November and December) which is why I want to get my hands on a private tutor!

We’ve got one assignment, the dissertation (is worth about 20% of the overall assessment of the degree – the most important piece of coursework ever!) The word limit for that is 12,000 words, I can’t wait to get stuck in. I should get a good grade for that, I seriously want an A grade.

I seriously appreciate you offering to go through some of my older work but I feel too embarrassed, lol. If you have any tips on writing shorter assignments please do share them.

9. Ghost_007 Registered Senior Member

All the material is available online.

Will be studying like mad this year.

Yeh bruv, am well.

My final year (Business degree) consists of 5 modules (1 is the dissertation). They are all broken up differently. Most are 50% coursework and 50% exam.

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

One of the most important things you just have to suck up and put behind you in order to succeed is embarrassment. You can't afford to let it keep you from getting ahead.

I had the same problem you do: I wrote fairly well but my writing was too long. My wife has an M.A. in English Literature so she was able to help me with that. There is no easy trick. Ripping out entire large sections of text would certainly be an "easy trick" and as you discovered it doesn't work.

You have to start at the detail level and work your way outward. Look at each individual sentence and find a way to shorten it. I promise there is a way. Absolutely nobody writes so perfectly that they can't find a way to make a sentence shorter. Start with your rhetorical style: remove all editorializations, clever figures of speech, and eloquent constructions. It is what you are saying that should attract the reader's attention, not how you're saying it, assuming you're not trying to write poetry. If you have a list of four words or phrases to illustrate a point, throw out the least important one and reduce it to three. If three just doesn't illustrate it well then you need to pick better ones. This will not only make your writing shorter but also better.

Then go to the paragraph. Have you got three sentences doing the work of two? The same subject repeated in several sentences? Have you got several sentences that say more or less the same thing with only subtle differences? Make two new sentences that highlight this subtle difference more clearly with fewer examples. If you're listing a whole range of possibilities, pick the two most extreme examples, tell the reader that these are indeed the extremes, throw the rest out, and let them do the interpolation.

Engage the reader's intelligence. This will make your work more interesting to read and it will also increase the likelihood of the reader actually understanding your point when they're done.

Then go up to the level of the section and do the same thing with the paragraphs. Does your logic flow smoothly? Does each paragraph logically follow the preceding one or are there a bunch that don't particularly need to be in any sequence? Apply the same principle of expressing your facts, hypotheses, conclusions, etc. in a logical order so that the reader's reasoning skill is called into play. And apply the same principle of letting two extreme examples define a range. When the reader understands your premise they'll be able to apply your reasoning to examples of their own, and to correct an old aphorism, "familiarity breeds content."

Keep going up to the next level of organization until you're looking at the whole paper, and by now you understand how to apply this same technique at the highest level. Have you said the same thing more than once? Don't bore the reader and don't insult their intelligence. If you're afraid they might not have understood you the first time you said something then the right thing to do is go back and say it better instead of saying it a different way a second time.

Two thousand words is eight pages; that's a lot of words. It gives you a lot of room to work. After years of my wife's tutelage I can now take almost anything I've written and cut it in half. If concision is really important I give it to her and she cuts that down to one third of the original.

Obviously this takes time. I don't spend too much time on SciForums so I have more time for the reports I give my boss and the letters I send to newspapers, and that's why the things I write here don't always seem to conform to my own rules. You can afford to spend the time because the limit you're working under is space, not time.

I'd still like to see a page of something you're written so I can give you more specific suggestions for identifying and improving your own particular writing style.

Your colleagues here seem to think I'm a good mentor and the one thing a good mentor never does is embarrass people.