NYC to Colombia

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by sargentlard, Oct 18, 2006.

1. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

So I made a bet with a friend; That it is possible to drive from NYC to Colombia (the South American country). I believe I stand corrected that it is possible....dangerous, long, hectic, frustrating and long winded? Sure, but possible nonetheless.

Who gets the 10 bucks then...me or my friend?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Genji Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

You said it was your idea that one could drive from NYC to Colombia, then you said you stood corrected....and that is IS possible to complete such a drive. I can't say who gets the $10.
    But it is possible, up to eastern Panama. The dangerous Darien region has no through roads as it is in a national park, and filled with rightwing Colombian guerillas and cut-throats. All of Panama once belonged to Colombia so the Darien is a kind of no-man's-land, except for the occassional wildlife journalist (some were killed by rebels there a few years ago) and rare Panamanian military patrols.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

I believe I stand corrected.

so is it?

The bet strictly refers to geological restrictions, we didn't really infer about poltical and social constraints...we both know that lot of SA territory is a no man's land.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Genji Registered Senior Member

Hmmm. Well I'd say your friend gets the $10, your avatar is just so disturbing......:bugeye:

8. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Can you tell me in detail why i'd lose? The Darien national park gets in the way?

9. Genji Registered Senior Member

I'm still confused about who bet what scenario? Yes, you can drive to Colombia from NYC but at the Darien you'd need a kickass 4wheel drive vehicle and lots of ammo!

10. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Ok, sorry for the confusion. The bet is as follows

Me: It IS possible to drive from NYC to Colombia, tough as shit but possible.

Friend: NO, it isn't possible.

So I win?

11. Genji Registered Senior Member

Ahem

Yeah. You would win. Just PLEASE let the goat go

12. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Ok, who says it's impossible? you or your friend?
    I think each of you should just keep your own money, honestly, it's not worth the hassle of trying to figure out who said what.

Genji is forgetting about the gazetted road through a menanite community in guatemala, you have to use it because it's the only road that joins the highway from mexico to guatemala with the highway from guatemala to honduras. Other roads from mexico to guatemala or guatemala to honduras don't actually connect with anything that goes all the way through. That's third world countries for you.
    The problem with the gazetted road is it's often closed with a gate across it like it's someones driveway, it's technically a public road but no one reprimands the menanites for purposefully doing everything they can to make it look like it isn't. So it's hard to find for starters, then it's hard to work the latch on the gate, all the while there's the added pressure of cold menanite eyes glaring at you with contempt.
    I remember one time me and my mate were driving from las vegas to colombia and my mate was trying to open the latch on the menanite gate and he accidentally broke it and they all started shouting at him, their shouts died down while he was trying to explain himself but then he accidentally farted and they started shouting all over again so he just jumped in the car and said "drive! fuck it turn around it's too embarrassing" and we had to go all the way back to las vegas.

None of this ever happened and I know nothing about the route from new york to colombia, I don't know why I need to lie all the time.

13. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Aww...There there......shut up