Extras

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by sargentlard, Oct 18, 2006.

1. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

It's official...Ricky Jarvis is a master of subtlety. Your Brits suck for getting the best comedies.

Anybody watch this show? I got into after someone passed along to me a clip from youtube where Patrick Stewart plays himself on a set of am ovie and all he can do is talk about naked women...hillarious.

The basic premise of the show, from I gather is that it's about Rickey Jarvis's character, who is an extra, on various movie sets, trying to make it i nthe show biz as a real actor and each episode has one, famous, well known star as a guest playing as themself. Even Danielle Redcliffe was hillarious playing himself, as a 17 year old actor with raging hormones who keeps calling his mom to bail him out.

anyone else watching this?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Roman Banned Banned

Nope.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Yeah, it was good.
    The samuel l jackson episode was disappointing, but overall I think I actually prefer it to the office.
    Can't wait for the second series, I thought they were already playing it in the uk and the us?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Yes, that one genuinely was extremely good, largely due to Patrick Stewart's performance one the face of it, but actually down to Gervaise being generous enough to play the straight man and let the other performers take the limelight.

Season Two's been considerably better I've been finding, the premise is a little bit different now, more rounded and plays on a number of levels - you can see influences from Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm integrated and working well together with what was already established, and the cameo performances are generally better, less forced also. Bowie was very good, Ian McKeller excellent - so far its been more consistent, better observed, genuinely an improvement over the first season. Enjoying it.

8. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

I loved the Ben Stiller guest role as a director of a war flick.

Especially when he catches the kid actor laughing and talks to him

"You think it's funny, you think war is funny...*pulls out a prop gun from another actor's costume*...here, what if i shot your mom in the face, is that funny? If i shot her in the face right now...not so funny is it?"

9. Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

... I think the second time around, y'know, watching the first season with some better idea of where the humour was coming from, it worked a lot better, for me at least.

I do remember at the time, and unfortunately a lot of British critics were sort of doing this, that when the show premiered and seeing the name Ben Stiller in that cameo appearance, everyone just simply assumed - going for US market. Obviously, they were, but it kind of overshadowed that first episode as an actual working piece.

Really I think running into it by accident, with no preconceived expectations, is probably the best way of becoming acquainted with it. But, if not, watching the first series over and starting from scratch really helps.

10. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Extras was ok. Not a patch on the office, though. Before buying Extras, I'd buy (borrow, copy...) his live shows - they're hilarious.

11. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

there IS a second series on every ?thursday? night at 9pm, its had oralndo bloom, daniel radcliff david bowie and some others so far.

very entertaining but nothing stand out special, i much prefer something like curb your enthusiasm

12. Y'can see he's definitely trying to nudge it down that CYE/Larry Sanders route with the second series more than the first, I mean he's expanded his characters world so as he can bring that sort of stuff in. Personally, as far as the Thursday nights go, I prefer the Mitchel & Webb on after it, but still I'd say the second series of Extras is much more get-able the first time around - even though technically he's no longer an extra...

Yeah, they are well worth nicking those. The stuff about God creating Daddy-Longlegses (from Animals) still cracks me up and that was one of the weaker skits, I did enjoy his one man shows.

13. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

My favourite has to be the 'safe sex for gay men' leaflet:

"10. Why not... come out of a window!"

Much laughter.

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

15. Shasha... Something or other. He's better known as the chap that did Ali G (or possibly the voice of the Lemar King in Madagascar)

16. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Sacha Baron Cohen. A white British Jewish comedian. There's a half-hour Borat video on YouTube somewhere, give me a second here..

Jagshemash

Personally I think his Borat character's funnier than Ali G. A lot funnier. My favourite Borat moment is when he's in a country & western club in some hick town in the American South, singing a song about... oh wait.. I'm delighted to say that that's on YouTube as well:

Jagshemash

17. geodesic "The truth shall make ye fret" Registered Senior Member

And here speaks a man with some taste - but I'd have said it was hard to compare the two. Mitchell and Webb has far more laugh-out-loud moments, but it's also rather hit and miss, and the tramp video diary stuff is just annoying. Am I missing something there?
    Mock The Week on directly after is also very good, and then QI on Friday - excellent stuff.

18. Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

.... By the Tramp Video Diary, y'mean Sir Digby Chicken Cesare and his sidekick Ginger...?

I doubt you're missing very much per say, I expect it's just a straight cross-over from the original Radio Four show they did, just a straight pastiche of those old fashioned radio hero's like Dick Barton, Biggles etc, juxtaposed against the fact that the last thing either of the pair are are actually heroic - I kind of like myself. It's not a particularly original idea, but I just find it worth it for the shifty look on the blond ones face when they predictably end up running away from the scene of a crime. I'm partial to no brain stuff...

True, hit and miss it is but, other than python, what sketch based show hasn't been in some regard or other? For a first outing on the box though, there's certainly been worse and at least they're not trying to be the next Fast Show which, up until recently, seems to have been the single aspiration of every group of comedy performers that signed up with the Beeb.

Things like Numberwang, irritating obviously, but then there supposed to be. But in and amongst it all the odd little gem like The Green Clarenette or Angel Summoner...., etc. They tend to used their actually best stuff as one off, throw-aways and that I rather like. Keeps you on your toes, as it were, and keeps you watching.

And, of course, yes. Mock the Week. Dana O'Brian always good value. Same with Fry. This is the problem with me, I rarely ever watch much except the comedies on the box these days.

19. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Borat beats all. There's a borat movie coming out which is supposedly the single funniest movie of all time by a considerable margin.
    It's directed by larry charles, who directed many episodes of seinfeld and CYE.
    Larry david apparently saw the movie and had to stop half way through because it was too funny, being a jew (and therefore, a hypochondriac) he feared for his health from all the convulsing and fits of laughter he was experiencing.
    And yeah, every review without exception says they've never laughed harder at anything ever.
    I'm pretty pumped, I've loved borat since the british ali G series.
    I cyber-know so many people exactly like him from tough dog message boards, mostly turks.

Speaking of british comedy, has anyone seen "Garth merenghi's darkplace"?
    I really loved that show, but lots of people didn't apparently.
    The blackish guy out of it is now in "the IT crowd" which I saw last night for the first time, his non-acting worked alot better with darkplace.
    It's ok but very much styled like all the 90s british sitcoms were, and I was never really a fan of them. "Hippies" was the exception and the IT crowd has a similar light charm about it so I'll keep watching.

20. Actually, no. Haven't seen that. Loved the IT Crowd, seen in a couple of things since Time Trumpet, did an hysterical cameo as a wizard in the last series of The Mighty Boosh, but Darkplace hasn't aired round my neck of the woods..

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye out for that.

21. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

It's Ricky Gervais, not Jarvis.

Extras is good.

I'm not sure whether you Americans realise that there are two versions of "The Office" - the original British one starring Gervais, and the American remake. (Why do Americans feel the need to remake anything half decent and pretend they invented it, by the way? This applies to TV shows, films, etc.)

Since the original Office relies on subtle understatement for its humour, inevitably the British version is far superior to the American one, although the American one has its own unique moments. It's not as bad a rip-off as many American rip-offs ... er... homages... are.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
  22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

We're just getting "The IT Crowd" in Australia now. I love it!

"Hello, IT.... Have you tried turning it off then on again? .... Is it plugged in? ... Ok, that fixed the problem then, did it? Bye!"

23. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Oh look, a dog, um.. driving a car!

*Whistles*

Last edited: Oct 19, 2006