Cartoons/shows you enjoyed watching as a kid

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by mountainhare, Oct 17, 2006.

1. mountainhare Banned Banned

All of the kids shows that pollute television these days are trash. Three words prove my case: "Cow and Chicken". I had the misfortune of being tricked into watching 5 minutes, and my intelligence dropped by 20 IQ points, landing it somewhere in the mid 200's.

Why aren't classics from my childhood shown on TV more often? At least they had a story you could follow (or required a minute amount of intellect + sense of humour to appreciate).

Some of my old favourites from child hood:

- Looney Toons (OBVIOUSLY). Daffy Duck pwns all.

- Tin Tin

- Basil Brush. BOOM BOOM!

- Twins of Destiny (dubbed in English. Originally 'Les Jumeaux du Bout du Monde' in French). Totally kick ass series.

- King Babar (the series). Pompadour was a crack-up.

- X-Men animated series. Rather clever for a kid's series (discrimination in society, violence as a means to an ends, duty, the meaning of friendship), and it was pretty faithful to the comics. At least more faithful than the movies...

- Transformers (naturally!)

- Pinky and the Brain. "So what are we going to do tomorrow night, Brain?"

- Wind in the Willows. I also loved the book. TOAD OF TOAD HALL!

- Spiderman

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

I'm curious as to the what superheroes and T.V characters members here grew up with.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Its just nostalgia.

I used to love Mysterious Cities of Gold.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mountainhare Banned Banned

Nick:
    I don't think so. Compare something like 'Cow and Chicken' (meaningless bullshit just meant to kill time) with something like 'King Babar' (which always has a moral behind the story), and you'll see a huge difference.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Maybe, I've never watched 'Cow and Chicken'. But there was some real crap on the TV too when I was a kid.

I just remember the good stuff.

8. mountainhare Banned Banned

Nick:
    Oh yes, no doubt about it. But it seems that now, ONLY crap is on TV. And I'm not just talking about kids shows, I'm talking about everything on Australian TV. I feel like I'm trapped in a cage full of retardism, and there is no escape. 5 channels full of boredom and lameness, just fighting each other to be the first to kill my brain cells.

9. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Well I don't know about Aussie TV. With digital & satellite, there are far more channels now. Lots of space to fill.

Its harder to pick out the real gems from an ever increasing ocean of crap.

10. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

The Animaniacs were good. I especially loved Pinky and the Brain. That was probably my favorite. Batman, the animated series was pretty good too. There was also this cool show where there's a main character named "ZZ." I forget what it was for. Zip Zoolander, maybe. And he controlled a motley crew of robots and would fight crime with them and whatnot. I would get up extra early in the morning for that show.

11. Vega Banned Banned

Favourite Cartoons:
    Spiderman and friends
    The Centurions
    Grandizer
    Sky commandos
    Gobots
    Robotech
    Thundercats

12. loganosborne Registered Member

I always enjoyed watching these cartoons; Spiderman, Basil Brush, X-Men and anything from Looney Tunes.

13. leopold Valued Senior Member

when i was a kid most shows were still in B/W although some was in color but i wander.
    my favorites:
    cartoons - popeye, looneytunes (bugs bunny, roadrunner, yosemite sam)
    series - superman, andy grifith, disney, lost in space, star trek TOS

14. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

hi vega

Good call with these..

they were well good.

there was another show which i liked but i cant really remmber it

################
    take care
    zak

15. purple_hairstreak My true colours clash Registered Senior Member

My favourite cartoons when I was a kid... Well, that wasn't too long back but these cartoons seem to have almost disappeared:

The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest
    The SwatKats
    Dexter's Lab

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The Smurfs
    Bugs Bunny

16. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Flintstones

17. tyler94 Registered Member

Clangers
    Button Moon
    Fireman Sam

All 3 so good!

18. RAW2000 suburban Registered Senior Member

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Good lordy, my wife and I just love "Cow and Chicken"! Especially the I. M. Weasel episodes with Lt. Worf as the weasel. It's a shame to see you kids being so tight-assed about this stuff. Sometimes you just have to let your silly side rule.

We also loved "Ren and Stimpy," "Two Stupid Dogs," "Garfield and Friends," "Bump in the Night," "Mighty Mouse". And plenty of the sweeter ones too, "New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh," "Doug," "Rugrats" (the early years before they got homogenized), "Muppet Babies". Back in those days we used to sit around on Saturday mornings with the parrots and laughed our heads off. The first sound our parrots learned to mimic was laughter.

Of course our favorite Saturday morning show was "Pee-Wee's Playhouse," followed closely by "Hey Vern, It's Ernest." Shame about Jim Varney dying so young and Paul Reubens being vilified by the rightist wackos.

There weren't very many TV cartoons when I was a kid in the early 1950s. "Crusader Rabbit" was the only one I ever saw and it was pretty good. All the children's programs were still on radio. You had to develop your own imagination, life was sure different back then. I absolutely could not stand the Hanna-Barbera pablum that came out in the 1960s. Disney, Warner Bros, Tom & Jerry, etc. were fine for their era but then so was Swing music.

"Spongebob" and "South Park" rule!

20. Michelle Registered Senior Member

Casper,Scooby-Doo,Tom and Jerry,Bugs Bunny

good times

21. Michelle Registered Senior Member

ohh,i forgot..i still enjoy watching Bratz & The Powerpuff Girls

22. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Astro Boy
    Thundercats
    Biker mice from mars
    The animals of farthing wood
    The wind in the willows
    Voltron
    Transformers
    Tin Tin
    Babar
    Duckula
    The Busy world of richard scarry
    Looney tunes (the older the better now - although I used to prefer the newer ones as a kid)
    Franklin
    He man and the masters of the universe
    Rocko's modern life
    Ren and stimpy
    Widget
    Pirates of darkwater
    Captain planet
    Super ted
    Banana man
    Roger Ramjet

Non cartoons;
    Puddle lane
    Pete and pete
    T-shirt or t-bag or some weird shit like that
    The lion the witch and the wardrobe
    The kids of degrassi street (forerunner to the classic degrassi junior high and degrassi high series)
    Sesame street USED to be great

Cartoons I always hated;
    Disney cartoons, hannah barbara (except maybe the snorks) and japanese crap (except astro boy obviously, and voltron if it was japanese which seems likely).

You are correct ofcourse that cartoons today are horrible. They really are.
    Spongebob is OK, and there are some great adult animations like the simpsons(although it's not so great anymore), south park, king of the hill etc, but children's programming is just sickening to look at.
    To think what future generations will look back on with nostalgia, dragonballz? Angela anaconda? Angry beavers? Wtf?
    The current 20 - 30 year olds were the last truely inspired generation.
    And the current 0-20 years olds are the first uninspired generation since the dawn of time. The long legacy of rock paintings and fairytales and quality TV abruptly ended very recently, and we have no way of knowing how severe the rammifications will be. We have to wait for these little shits to grow up, seriously have a look at them, these children today, it's not looking good.

23. Genji Registered Senior Member

Jeez! I'm so old! I loved The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Scooby Doo, Speed Racer, The Partridge Family (I had a crush on David Cassidy, I had no idea I was gonna be gay

) Gilligan's Island, Petticoat Junction, Family Affair, Flipper and HR Puff-n-Stuff. And Leave it to Beaver of course. I forgot that one.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006