Schooling

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by riku_124, Oct 16, 2006.

1. riku_124 High School Smoker Registered Senior Member

well, im in 10th grade and im 15, so im starting to look for schools. Ive looekd on soem websites at 2 schools so far, and i want your opinions.

What is a good school ( sicne several members atleast, have, or are, going to a college)

Do you know if the phycology program is good?

and could you give me a link if you could?

thanks all

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. original sine Registered Senior Member

First of all, what state or country do you live in? Do you believe you will earn a scholarship or grant to assist your finances? I know that some colleges charge more for students who are non-residents of the state. Psychology is a good field to study since everyone is crazy.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

To find a school.. you need to do what I did: I figured out what kinds of things interested me, then I went to the local libraries and picked up some books on colleges and their degrees. I then did some comparing and contrasting between the two and picked who I wanted to apply to.

The Internet is a great resource, too.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. draqon Banned Banned

first tell us: country you want to go to school

if its USA these are top 3: ( i happen to be in one of them, yay!)

1. Stanford University (CA)
    2. University of Michigan–Ann Arbor
    3. Univ. of Minnesota–Twin Cities (Inst. of Child Development)

if you choose the school i go to, please promise to become my friend 4ever...cause i need a real physical friend badly...

8. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I need physical friends. Let's be BUDDIES!

Can I have your phone number? I'll call you! Then we can meet!!!

YES!

9. draqon Banned Banned

ur in Georgia...im in Michigan.

10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

In general the experience you have in college is much more a function of you than of the college. People with a good attitude and some discipline and an idea of who and what they want to be get very good educations and make lifelong friends at the cheapest commuter-campus state universities. Conversely, people who don't have any idea what they want out of life and never developed good study habits waste their parents' money and flunk out of UCLA and Princeton.

So what you need to put your thoughts into is what exactly you want out of life and what you're prepared to put into it. I think next year will be early enough to look for the right school.

You want to pick your major first, and then find a college that has a good program in that field. Talk to the adults who are in the profession you are interested in and ask them about good schools. They're the ones who will know. And if you haven't gone out looking for those people and found them yet, it's a sign that you maybe aren't quite as interested in psychology as you think you are. These days it's really easy to make professional acquaintances on the internet. There are probably some psychologists here on SciForums if you go into the right forum instead of Free Thoughts.

I yell at every high school kid who will listen, "MAJOR IN SOME MIDEASTERN LANGUAGE." America is desperate for people who know Farsi, Arabic, Urdu, Pashto, etc. And regardless of what happens in the Iraq War, this trend will continue. If you can speak Arabic or Farsi you can get a fabulous job without searching any further than the U.S. government. Far Eastern languages are also good. Business is booming there and there are just practically no Americans who speak Chinese, Korean or Japanese. The website I search for jobs in information technology every single day has companies begging for project managers who can speak Japanese or Korean.

If you haven't tried learning a foreign language yet, it's time to start even if you don't decide to major in it. It's not hard for anyone with high intelligence and some curiosity. Besides, it's really fun! And it is a valuable asset throughout life. Being able to think in two different languages gives you an advantage over everyone else in America because it means you can think more clearly about more different stuff. In Europe and Asia it's common for people to know three languages. We've got a president who can't even speak English fluently, it's so damn embarrassing.

You've asked for advice on your writing skills before. I STRONGLY recommend that you follow through with that. Your choice of colleges will be extremely limited if you continue to write the way you do now. You're smart but you haven't learned how to show it on paper and that's what the admissions officials at the colleges will be reading. One year is not a long time to learn how to write at the college level. Get going! And maybe learn to spell "psychology" if that's what you want to study?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Good luck!

11. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

So?!?!? I CAN DRIVE! I Like meeting new peepz!!!!

12. riku_124 High School Smoker Registered Senior Member

absane, PM me your number and ill give you a call, i wont e gonig t school til lat least 09, maby 10