Mind-Expanding Drugs and the Question of What Is REAL

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Give Love, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Give Love Registered Member

I'm wondering what anyone's thoughts are on "mind-altering" drugs and what their implications about reality are...

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

mid A terink drogsd hive n effet no me atalll.....

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Give Love Registered Member

for instance, ive had experiences where i was in this eternal moment, but not as part of eternity - as someone glimpsing it for just a moment then getting turned away. this drove me crazy during the time i was experimenting with drugs. because timothy leary's whole "turn on, tune in, drop out" thing suggests that you can leave this reality and enter into a new one.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

If we die and we go somewhere, there's another reality out there.

If we don't, then our consicousness doesn't even exist. And since it doesn't exist and we perceive it, it follows that another reality is existent in which we do not perceive the reality we are currently perceving.

Either way, there's another reality....

And as you may be able to tell, I'm a bit stooooooned.... :m:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Kendall ......................... ..... Registered Senior Member

I think we only understand a small fraction of the actual reality, drugs can probally speed up the information transfering in our brain or slow it down, or tune things up in our brain, giving the perception of a different reality when it is just that we notice more or less or focus on certain aspects of reality. What is reality? The world in a point of time?

9. Sauna Banned Banned

Psychedelic drugs exaggerate whatever psychosis you already suffer from.

If you are in hurry to precipitate a crisis, they may be effective to achieve that.

10. phlogistician Banned Banned

If a drug user falls over and dies in a forest from an OD, does anyone care?

11. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

No. But he makes a sound...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Sorry, I'm firmly in the school of thought that reality is totally external to our minds. There's no way that these blobs of organic material are such important components of the universe that we have any more impact on "reality" than anything else that must obey the laws of thermodynamics, cause-and-effect, etc. Everything that we experience through our senses is simply the result of the impact of the universe on those senses being filtered through an elaborate network of neurons. Altering the functioning of those neurons with chemicals may change the way we experience the universe, but it does not change the universe (except the trivial portion of it that makes up our bodies) and it does not change reality.

I'm a libertarian. If drugs make you happy--or less unhappy as the case may be--and by using them you cause no direct harm to others then you're welcome to take them. And I'll be generous to your family, break with the party line and grant that "direct harm" includes little stuff like dropping out of school or losing your job.

13. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

There's already a theory on drugs opening an alternate universe. One of the reasons being similar things seen on certain types of drugs. I don't mean just hazes and whatnot, but DNA strands and "mechanical elves" running about. Some think that because many people share that same vision on a certain hallucinagen, that it may be real.

- N

14. draqon Banned Banned

Its not mind-expanding drugs...but mind-denying substances. Instead of experiencing all these emotions this world got to offer, by taking drugs you are making the emotions go amock in greater strength. And reality is that were you feel many ranges of emotions and can do many actions and not limited to what to which you are confined to. Anyways reality is were if you stab yourself the right way you will die.

15. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Huuuuuuuummm....

*picks up a knife*
    *stabs in heart*
    *TruthSeeker is now dead*

16. draqon Banned Banned

Truthseeker: so who wrote that last "*", if ur dead?

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Or as we used to say in the 1970s, "Reality is for people who can't handle drugs."

18. river-wind Valued Senior Member

Since mind-altering drugs only bind to certain uptake receptors in the brain, what they are doing bio-chemically is not modifying the brain at all, but allowing some built-in functionality to activate.

Given this, I'd say that psycotropic drugs could only become a doorway to other dimentions, realities, etc, if it were possible to do so with our brains alone.

I'd venture to say that since the experiences that you have under the influence are very certainly effected by your past and current life experiences, that drugs simply trigger the brain to dream forcefully; causing waking hallucinations of various types. This can be, in certain situations, used to the person's benefit; as seeing those dreams is truely a "looking into one's self", and thus could be used in coming to realizations about your own shortcomings.

See the use of peyote (active compound mescalin) in the Native American Church.

I think that this is just as easily explained by cultural commonalities, as well as species similarities. If our brains are all similar, then introducing a certain chemical will very likely create similar hallucinations.
    Just like for a majority of people, SSRI anti-depressants work in predictable ways, asprin works in predictable ways, etc,etc,etc. We are all human, and our bodies are all very similar.

19. draqon Banned Banned

Problem here is not that drugs help one to see one's self and realize the shortcomings...problem is that he/she will be lost within oneself forever seeing the worlds like none this world has ever offered. The only shortcomings here would be not enough doses taken. Realize your true purpose and forever loose your soul. And that purpose is as hollow as the world we live in.

20. Sauna Banned Banned

Worlds apart is a lonely place to be.

21. draqon Banned Banned

Worlds all connected is a croweded place to be

22. Give Love Registered Member

Do you think it's possible to be your own psychiatrist? It seems to me that if one were shown their true self and that wasn't something pleasant, they would just dwell in that nightmarish diagnosis with no real room for change given the magnification of the shortcomings.

23. Sauna Banned Banned

Psychosis is a relative issue, one person's reality as compared to the communal reality.
    It is not therefore possible for the one person to mend that in isolation.