What do you think of pipe smoke?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by flatcapman, Oct 12, 2006.

?

Would you consider smoking a pipe in your later years?

Poll closed Nov 21, 2006.
  1. Yes-A good stress breaker and you dont inhale

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. No-It will damage my body and harm others

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. No-too much maintainance for a pipe and ciggies are easyer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Never-Pipes are only for The British

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. flatcapman Registered Senior Member

Hello all

I was wondering what you guys and gals think of the sweet smell of pipe smoke? I used to catch a bus to work when I worked at a bakery and this older gentleman used to walk past with a str8 pipe in his mouth puffing clouds into the air and I caught a wiff of his smoke and it was sweet like insense and went a long way towards starting me smoking a pipe of my own as I wanted to know what it felt like as this guy looked happy and calm smoking his pipe and what it tasted like.
    I bought my 1st pipe in 94 and tried it out. It felt awesome thou it made my stomich go all hot and oily plus I got so head rushed off it I could not stand up and felt like my head was nailed to the floor and I have been smoking a pipe ever since. I think most get put off a pipe as they either take the smoke into their lungs like a ciggie and it makes them ill or they put their tounge in the way of the smoke and it burns their tounge and the pain is off putting(trust me I found that out the hard way. Trying to talk with a burned tounge is def no barrel of laughs.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)
    FCM

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. baumgarten fuck the man Registered Senior Member

If it's good enough for Gandalf, it's good enough for me.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

... Well, I've been smoking pipe tobacco for years now, though I confess I've never actually had the guts to take to the habit of smoking a pipe - I roll m'own ciggies with the stuff. Have to say, do prefer it to regular baccy but, as to the pipe thing...

You're obviously a braver chap than I.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. valich Registered Senior Member

tobacco is tobacco!

You are not only harming your own life but also violating the privilege of others to breath a healthy tobacco-free environment, thus intentionally also causing them breathing problems, possible cancer, and death!

8. flatcapman Registered Senior Member

Well it is an addiction Non smokers dont understand what a craving feels like and they never will. Unless there a way to quit smoking with a smokers cravings to slowly drive a person insane and to a nervious breakdown (which can and does happen to some people).
    I tried quitting for 3 weeks on Zyban and it made me worse not better. It stalled the cravings but it shut every thing else down too. I felt angry all the time and nearly punched my best friends head in when he smarted off to me.
    Smoking a pipe keeps me happy and I do know a man who has smoked a pipe for 50 years hes 76 now and only has a slight cough.
    Do you realise that you get the excact same posion from the exhast pipes from peoples cars? and that 10 mins breathing that stuff in is about as excactly the same amount of posion from passive smoking and its slowly killing you
    I dont see cars being banned Do you?

FCM

9. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

No, I don't smoke, but when my friends come over, they usually smoke water pipes and I have nothing against that, the aroma is nice.

10. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

I love double apple with a hint of aniseed smoked in a water pipe.

11. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I mean us non-smoking males never think about sex..

- N

12. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Smoking is easier to quit than you'd think. You don't need fancy pills or patches, you just need to find a low nicotine/low tar brand of cigarette to smoke for a bit. you'll find at first that you'll want to smoke more of them because of this lower nicotine/tar state but if you can lower the numbers down over a few months it pretty much gets to the point that you can stop smoking altogether.

The only issue then is to deal with those moments that you feel like you want to have a cigarette and put something else in your hand instead. I actually used a Milkshake straw which had been cut down to the length of a cigarette (cheaper than any of those shop cigarette quitting devices) I used it to deal with the need for holding something in my hand and remove the action.

Afterall you suck air through a straw and think to yourself how perculiar it must look to anyone walking by generating a psychological barrier against repeating the action.

As for the "Passive smoking is less than a car exhaust", Do you fancy trying to explain that to a number of Public House Landlords that lost their wives to cancer who use to serve behind the bar. They would spend 8-10 hours aday (maybe longer) surrounded by a number of different smokers (cigarette/pipe smokers alike) and it cost them their lives.

13. Sauna Banned Banned

Non smokers dont understand what a craving feels like and they never will?

Somebody choking to death from an asthmatic attack craves clean air, and is entitled to do so, not to mention the fate they'd crave for the smoker who caused the attack.

The trouble with tobacco is that it kills too slowly. If they died within a week it might be a good idea, to rid the World of addictive idiots.

14. riku_124 High School Smoker Registered Senior Member

i smoked pipe tabacoo and inhailed it all the time, untill my parents found it and confiscateded it. cherry pipe tabacco is the best!

15. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

You obviously don't understand what a craving feels like then.

How many cases of asthma are caused directly by passive smoking (no other influences like dust, hereditary defect), as a percentage? Cites?

Do you hoover your house every day? Do you have a pet with fur? Clean the sheets every day and air your mattress regularly? Drive a car? Have flowers in your garden? Wear perfume/aftershave? Do you put all your rubbish into one bin and let the binmen take it to a landfill? Do you use electricity that fossil fuels were burned to create? Do you use plastics that oils were used to manufacture? Do you live?

If you don't like smoke, then don't stand beside a smoker. It's not as if you can smoke in any public buildings now. People can't walk into your house and smoke freely. Leave people to live their life and you live yours. Asthmatics can deal with theirs by themselves.

I bet if somebody told you that your perfume/aftershave (I'm gambling on perfume) caused them pain, you'd probably be offended, wouldn't you? Well, next time you spray yourself in the stuff, imagine the poor bastard beside you on the train with sinusitis, rhinitis, asthma who has blocked sinuses for the rest of the day, a terrible headache, an asthmatic attack.

16. Sauna Banned Banned

Chimeric philistinism.

17. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

Googlewhack? Sweet. I haven't played that in ages!

Dimorphic Drivel

There's the short ones and then there are the the longer, even more cringe worthy ones.

18. flatcapman Registered Senior Member

Thats the problem Pipe Baccy does not excactly come in low tar. Its the one and only strength thou there is a Vanilla baccy that supposed to be low tar but I seriously doubt it as it felt excactly the same.
    As for people getting cancer from passive smoking Im not debateing that all I said was breathing in car exhast fumes has the same slow death effect.
    And Sauna I understand what you meant as my mum's best friends son has asthema and I always smoked away from him as he almost died from his own mother's ciggie smoke. But saying that wishing tobacco would kill within a week to rid the word of "addictive idiots" is a rather nasty thing to say Don't you have family that smokes or friends that do? Would you wish them dead to help yourself get clean air? I know I wouldn't. It would be like saying "Sauna go to a pub where smoking is not allowed and there are smokers who are feeling pissy because they cant have a smoke with their drink and you say your opinion and you either get clobbered by a poed drunken smoker denied his nictoine or they drink and drive and kill some innocent person on the road"
    How about idiots that drink and drive? they cause serious death and carnage on the road You can walk away from tobbaco smoke but you cant really walk away from some drunken fool behind the car of a wheel.
    BTW Most places smokers are banned from smoking and you can NOT get passive smoking in the open air unless you sit on the person lap and they blow it in your face Smoke dissapates in the air before it reachs you unless the smell can cause an attack.
    There was one man who quit smoking ciggies and 20 years later he was not around other smokers and stayed around clean air and yet he still got lung cancer.
    My point is "When your numbers up its up" If breathing in smoke does not kill you then there are 1000's of other ways that do. Just because you dont smoke does not mean you will live forever nor does it make it right for you to cop an attude with us smokers and makes us "the villians"
    I have been in the past singled out for smoking a pipe by a guard who walked past 10 people smoking ciggies.

FCM

19. Well of course, old man - I mean, really! Why on earth would anyone smoke were it not for the happy certainty that in the process we were taking everyone around us slowly out at the same time?! It would be a nonsense!

No, that's precisely why I sit out on the back porch in all weathers, even around other smokers, quietly freezing m'nuts off, even though it's m'own home, happy in the certainty that every breath I'm exhaling into the open atmosphere is doing more environmental and health damage than a four year old car. It gives me a delicious little shiver and a thrill. And, lets be honest here, a more than half descent semi just thinking about it.

God. I love being vile and the course of all possible evil! Mwha-ha! Mwha-ha! Mwha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-haaaaaaaaaar!

Anything even less useful to add or are y'done for the time being? I assure you. I can keep this up for years at a streach....

20. Sauna Banned Banned

Oxymoron.

21. draqon Banned Banned

Tobacco smoke makes some people see man in their rooms, and then these people wonder if what they saw was an actual man or not...

"http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=58577"

22. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Flatcap, It's not so much an attitude towards my general health in regards to smokers but perhaps an interpretation of their own attitudes to what they smoke and why they smoke it.

The same attitude has been outputted by someone I know of, however his poison has been drink. For instance his comment for drink driving was "I met a guy down the pub that lost a leg at 10mph (on a bike), so when your clocks up your ticket gets punched" However he's only concerning himself in this instance about his own mortality, what if his drunken riding caused a collision with a car that caused the death of someone else and how would his family and friends feel about his loss, even though he was plastered.

If it was so simple to have a persons self-harm inflicting endulgence just keep to themselves then it wouldn't be a topical problem.

23. draqon Banned Banned

Stryder: the guys attitude should have been. "I met a guy down the pub who lost 30 pounds and a leg at 10mph (on a bike), so when you need to loose extra weight remember what to do, cause I sure do"