my isp

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by leopold, Oct 7, 2006.

1. leopold Valued Senior Member

i have encountered a problem within my isp.
    let me explain.
    i signed up for high speed wireles. they said upto 1.5 mb/s for $49.95 a month.
    after a couple of months and testing a regulat intervals i discovered that my average speed was approx 0.950 mb/s.
    i called my isp and the technician that installed my equipment answered the phone.
    i explained the situation and within a week i started getting speeds of well over 1.5 mb/s the max was 2.04 mb/s.
    i sent a screenshot of my best speed to my isp via email.
    within one week of the email my speed decreased to where it is now and has remained there. all attempts to resolve this situation has failed.
    my isp has not given me any reason why they are limiting my download speed.

this is eating me alive, it's all i think about during the day.
    can anyone offer any solutions.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Let me ask.. do you have Charter Pipeline?

That is the same BS I get from them. I am switching to Bellsouth DSL.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

Why did you send them a screenshot when you were getting better speeds than you were paying for?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. leopold Valued Senior Member

my isp will remain anonymous.

8. leopold Valued Senior Member

to let them know what a good job they were doing.
    as a matter of fact i wrote "many people complain, i thought you could use some good news" and included the screenshot as an attachment.

9. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

heh, bad move. although, you should complain if it is not up to where it should be. they can obviously give you more if they want, so make them give you what you paid for.

10. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

lol, you dummy.

Being nice backfires it seems

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

You want to protect the incompetent nerds?

I'd say you have Charter or Pacbell. Pacbell used to get nagged about all the time on TechTV.

12. leopold Valued Senior Member

i have tried cato, i have called these people so many times that they are probably getting sick of it.

i keep thinking about what they would do if i owed them money. the answer to that is simple, they would terminate my service and persue me to the ends of the the earth, marking me for life if it came to that.

what they are doing is called "bait and switch".

13. leopold Valued Senior Member

no it isn't that, i am concerned about legalities. i am thinking seriously of suing these people.

14. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

What you should do is find the highest ranking guy in customer service.. (and I am talking corporate level). Speak to him personally. Trust me.. you'll be able to. Tell him what is going on. He'll get it fixed.

15. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

Check the t&c's carefully before you do. ISP's are tricky bastards and cover their behinds very well.

I'd assume at that price your connection is subject to a certain level of contention. .9Mbps is probably decent enough, legally.

I have a 2Mbps adsl line, but with contention it could be slower than 56k. They'd be completely within their rights to tell me it's tough.

Check them out though and good luck.

16. leopold Valued Senior Member

thanks absane but i am already talking to someone in customer service.
    i got a technician to up my speed to the max and as soon as the nxt business day started it fell back to where it is now. apparently someone there is monitoring my web use which, i think, is illegal.

17. leopold Valued Senior Member

yeah, i know what you mean. they said it's upto 1.5 mb/s and they don't gaurentee the speed.

another good point. for 50 buck a month i really can't complain about almost a megabit download speed. plus i have no dropouts, i have had only one file out of the 1000s i downloaded to fail.

my isp cutoff is 70k bits

18. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Yes talking to just anyone in customer service works sometimes. However, if it doesn't work the method I stated will work. For the most part, companies will kiss customer ass. The average person won't notice if their 1.5 megs drops to 0.9 megs. However, those that do notice are a small speck on the map.. so it won't hurt them to kiss your ass.

19. Muslim Immortal Valued Senior Member

I'm supposed to be getting 8mbps from BT, when I use torrents they cap it at 250mbs. Sly motherfuckers.