M$ forced to show source code of XP

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Xelios, Feb 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

I found this news while browsing deviantart.com and it prompted me to find out more. Here are a couple links:

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/articles/forums_article-4462.html
    http://www.techtv.com/news/specialreport/usvsmicrosoft/story/0,24195,3372618,00.html

Needless to say, select few will finally get a chance to see if M$ can back up it's claims about the embedded programs and utilities associated with Windows XP, and while they're at it they'll be able to take a peek at the stability and security of the OS to see if it really lives up to the standards M$ claims it does.

That is, if Gates doesn't have the decision appealed and overruled =/

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

on one hand it's good news (this particular case), but it also makes an unpleasant pecendent (sp).
    suppose you make a really revolutionar software (OS) tht would put all others out of business and allow to laugh at espionage and possible attacks. and US military and goverment is sooooooo curious - how does it work??

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

i.e. they want the source code for themselves. so they take away source code from you, after a few years shut you down for illegel marketing and monopolism (you are simply the best and nobody needs M$) . see the threat?!

not the M$ case here, their soft is full of holes (have not tested XP so can't really say tht it is bad)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

They can contest this, and most likely lose, from what I've heard, but what if they supeona the code? from what I know, they couldn't keep that from happening.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.