I'm pretty sure this is the only place I can do this...

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Gondolin, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Gondolin Hell hath no fury like squid Registered Senior Member

Ok, I'll get to the point. I haven't been on these boards in a long time, yet this is the only place that I can open up and get this out. It's bothering the hell out of me, and I don't another place to say this.

All of my friends are gung-ho for God. All of them. My family is equally gung-ho. I, on the other hand, am not... at all. Thats the problem. I can't bring myself to tell anyone this, and I'm afraid that if I do things will take a turn for the worse. This is the only place that I can let people know this without being afraid of persecution.

I don't understand it. None of it makes sense to me. I support the Big Bang, evolution... and any other scientific theory that contradicts the Bible. That makes alot of sense when compared to Creationism.

I had a girl break up with me because I wasn't Presbyterian. I couldn't bring myself to tell her, because I knew it would have been over a lot sooner then it was. I liked her, too much I'm afraid.

I don't expect sympathy or anything. The fact that you read this and know is good enough.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. LeeDa Danger! Read with caution. Registered Senior Member

Christians persecuting atheists. Never.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

This is easy.

Just pretend you are christian. It is not that hard. When amongst your family and friends, be the biggest christian you can possibly be. Pretend like you are devoting your life to the word, and immerse yourself in their religious activities as if you believe in all of it. Win a grammy for your amazing portrayal.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

Hi Gondolin

i hope you are well and thank you for posting.

first things first i thought only muslims were capable of this attitude!!!

Only joking

So basically you have to choices

lie and say yep i am a christian and everything will be ok but you will be un happy in your self. or tell the truth and have loads of family greif.

Do you beleive in God still? As this may make things easier to justify to yourself.. eg you could say that it was God's will which created the big bang and thuis craeted the uinvierse etc..

I dont know but you will eventually have to tell the truth, it will be hard but they may understand espically if you dont become critical of their ways.

Its always a tuff one these sort of things.

##########

take care
    zak

8. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

MOVE! that is my suggestion. move to a new town, not so religious, as soon as you get a chance. trying to act like you love god 24/7 will make you nuts, but if you only have to do it on weekends and holidays, you will be ok.

you sound like you just need some breathing room, so once you get farther away, where your non-christionism is ok to express, the pressure will be off and you will feel a lot better.

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

If that's really true, my friend, then you got more damn problems than your feelings about religion! Just think of that ....this lousy Internet forum is the ONLY place where you can tell anyone about your problems????

Ooooh, ya' gots problems, alright, but it ain't got nothin' to do with religious beliefs!

Baron Max

10. Roman Banned Banned

He can't tell anyone because that's how religious his town is. I'd say that's a pretty fucking big religious problem.

11. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I'd say, with some certainty, that there ain't no such town in the whole fuckin' world ...and that might even include some of the most extreme Muslim communities!

Are you just trying to make excuses for his strange behavior, Roman?

Baron Max

12. Roman Banned Banned

Strange behavior?
    It's really not that strange anymore. The world's changing.
    And who are you to say that he knows someone he can talk to?

Besides, it sounds like he has to get this off his chest without facing any sort of serious consequence or taking risks. It's a very normal thing to do.

13. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

exactly roman. ....

you are completely right. all we can do is give Godalin our opinions and thoughts to his probelm and with the baron coming out with such heartless shit (in my opinion) does not give Godalin much help.. probably just depresses the porr chap even further...

perhaps baron you could come out with something more constructive or are you going to put godalin off posting his thoughts here as well.

##########
    zak

14. francois Schwat? Registered Senior Member

Wow... that really sucks, Gondolin. I don't really know what it's like to be judged by my beliefs. I'm really lucky in that sense. There's only one person in my family who's a firm believer in God--my dad. The others are either spiritual (my mom) or agnostic or atheist. Religion rarely becomes a subject in the household. It doesn't play much of a role in our household. Therefore, any differences in beliefs rarely become a problem.

It sounds like that's not the case for you, Gondolin. You can always fake believing, which sucks. But I'm sure you wouldn't be the first to do it. Of course it sucks to suppress your thoughts and feelings to make yourself fit in. Would your family disown you if you pronounced your agnosticism or atheism? How serious is it?

How severe would they censure you? If it's just something, like they may give you a weird look, but still accept you, I'd say, go for it--let them know what you think. Tell him. But if the consequences are more severe and you want to avoid them at all costs, then just fake belief. If you need to talk to people about your own beliefs, Sciforums is always here.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. Roman Banned Banned

Moving may be the only thing to do, especially if you don't know anyone you can talk to about this.

16. baumgarten fuck the man Registered Senior Member

It sounds like professing atheism in this town would be like being openly gay. I doubt there's any way you could escape persecution if you didn't hide it. However -- I know it's much easier to watch from a distance and say this -- were I in your shoes, I would at least feel that honesty is the best policy. Maybe that's just my defiant streak talking, though.

Religion is primarily a worldview; it's something that strengthens the bonds between people in a group and keeps outsiders on the outside. Whatever a religion teaches, whatever its philosophical tenets are, is usually useless next to the label of that religion's name. If you don't at least say you're on the team, then in most cases you'll look like an opponent regardless of anything else. It's xenophobia.

However, at least your family needs to be able to accept you for who you are. They should know the truth about what you believe. Being a badass and forcing it down their throats will probably only provoke a hostile reaction, but you don't strike me as the type who would want to do that anyway. Be kind, reasonable, respectful, and understanding. Ask the same of your kin. If you are not interested in being converted back, let them know. If they express worry about the fate of your soul, tell them you need to find your own way. A family doesn't need a common religion to stay together; a family that realizes that will have other, stronger bonds.

Your town, on the other hand, sounds like it does need a common religion to stay together. I would think about leaving if I was you.

17. Gondolin Hell hath no fury like squid Registered Senior Member

I have a great family and wonderful friends. I'm just afraid my telling them will ruin things. It's not like I'm a bad person declaring atheism so I can party hardy. I'm a good guy, I don't drink, smoke, lie, and corouse with loose women.

I've had no problem playing the good christian. Every weekend when I do come home from school, I go to church and all that fancy stuff.

I just don't know how they'll take it.

18. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

Hi gondolin...

do it then man you... you will only regret it if you did not... they may suprise you and listen to your feeling.. what i would advise though is not to be opnely opposed to their views... just say you dotn understand it sio you are trying to find new knowledge or something like that

anyway some good guys drink smoke and corouse with girls!!??1

####
    take care
    zak

19. Gondolin Hell hath no fury like squid Registered Senior Member

What I'm trying to say is that I don't use atheism as an excuse to do things a christian wouldn't normally do. I don't know if they would see that.

20. baumgarten fuck the man Registered Senior Member

I don't know if they would see how you could be an atheist if you otherwise act like a good Christian. Your close friends and family can in all likelihood cope, with a good dose of patience.

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Gondolin,
    How old are you? I suspect that eventually you will move to more cosmopolitan surroundings.

22. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

You mean places where he can see homeless beggars and drug addicts right on the streets? Where he can witness violent crime several times a day, practically right in front of his eyes? Where he can shop in stores even as they're being robbed by armed, dangerous scumbags? ...etc., etc.?

Baron Max

23. baumgarten fuck the man Registered Senior Member

...or maybe just a suburb or a town somewhere...