When is too much considered too much?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by flatcapman, Oct 5, 2006.

?

Did Man with porsche derserve what happened to him?

Poll closed Oct 29, 2006.
  1. Yes he is German so he might be a nazi

33.3%
  2. No steal a hunk of junk Dunoir and leave the East German businessman alone

16.7%
  3. Unsure never seen the film

16.7%
  4. Who are these people and why should FCM care so much about one of them

33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. flatcapman Registered Senior Member

Hello to all

I was wondering about your opinion on extremley violent films and games. The question is when they put certain amonts of full-on gore and cruelty in movies then is it really up to the viewer to decide when enough is gory enough or the MPAA? Im not complaining about these films as I really do enjoy them, even the trashy ones if the gore is heaps on the screen. I am an avid horror buff and own over 300 horror dvd with a lot of Italian ones in the mix esp. Dario Argento. I have seen uncut movies with plenty of extended scenes many of which were quite exciting to watch. It makes the viewer really appricate the directers vision of his film and to enjoy the good work of the special effects people who get criminly overlooked when the film is cut for the R rating.
    For me at least these films do not encorage me to hurt another human being and even show violence for what it really is. A repellant and nasty act that should turn most people off considering that sort of thing.
    Also in the Steven Segal film The Foreigner Did they go too far with Man with porsches shooting? To me it looked like they romantized his murder to the point of showing how easy it is to kill a man who is retro out of hatred for his clothes and cap. It also stupidly showed how easy it was to do it and get away with it. I really like the gentleman who played him and even see him as a Uncle like role model. I know the polish actor has trouble getting into films due his lack of english but he deserves far better and he is a very talented actor and forgive me for this gay comment a Polish Carry Grant with large lips
    Im interested in reading your replies.

FCM

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

As a flaming libertarian I believe in freedom of speech with an almost religious passion. Much as I am personally disgusted by many of the types of scenes you describe, I stand by two mottos:
    • 1. Sunlight is the best disinfectant.
    • 2. The measure of our commitment to freedom is not how well we protect the things we love, but how well we protect the things we hate.
    Yes, I have seen the parade of sociologists announcing that violent entertainment teaches kids to be violent. But I have not yet seen one of their studies that did not commit today's most common and insidious fallacy of post hoc ergo propter hoc, "correlation implies causation." No one has convinced me that those particular kids did not already have a proclivity to violence and therefore those games and movies, as well as the rap music that is generally lumped in with them, would naturally appeal to them more than to the kid who is going to grow up to be the next Jesus or the next Gandhi.

They say this is a controlled experiment, that the primary difference between the environments of today's kids and yesterday's kids is the validation of violence in entertainment. And I say bullshit. How about the validation of violence in the daily news? How about the fact that government violence against citizens has become commonplace, and even large-scale atrocities of this nature like Ruby Ridge and Waco occur with enough regularity to never fade from our collective memory? And that it has arguably motivated the wackos among us to fight back, as in Oklahoma City?

How about the simple lack of parenting? How about the fact that the average American parent now works a fifty-hour week, compared to the sacred forty-hour standard during my childhood? How about the fact that the average American mother is now one of those working parents rather than the cookie baker who met me at the door every afternoon until I was in high school?

Today's kids have a lot more reasons to regard violence as a normal part of life than my generation did. We saw Tom and Jerry as a metaphor. They see Grand Theft Auto as practice for real life.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. flatcapman Registered Senior Member

Hello Rocker

Sorry pal but beg to differ when I was a kid there was a show for children called "the banana splits" and it had a mini show called "Danger Island" where a family are chased around an island from grown up pirates weilding nasty looking maceties. There was no blood or gore in the show but it taught children that it was ok to bash another person if they considered them evil. There was other shows like the A-Team and Knight Rider that showed the same thing "this person is bad thump them" It was irresponsible because it showed kids that assulting a person is not only easy but they would get away with it too without causing more problems. It also shows things in black and white(good and evil) there is a shade of gray most people fall under. The Banana Splits caused more playground flights and not just little tap tap fights more like full on brawls.
    And one guy used to roar out "HEY JUNGOL" and used to run past people thumping them. He was expelled shorting afterwards becasue they bought him in and he thumped a teacher and the principal HARD in the face and wondered why he was in so much trouble since the tv show taugh him it was ok to behave like that. Most horror movies have a rating to stop them getting into the hands of young minds so why the hell was that crap rated G back in the day its PG now
    Concidence I THINK NOT. Children should NOT be taught violence to shove their problems and that stupid show should have had the dressed up guys instead of being stupid and playing dumb games they should be teaching kids that its NOT ok to be that way

FCM

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. volpeculus sagacis Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodies Registered Senior Member

I think it's the parents' prerogative to monitor what their kids watch if they're young and impressionable still. You can't regulate every puny aspect of popular culture to fit your own desires, anyhow: if the label says, "M for Mature," it's probably not suitable for your five-year-old.

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I'm not arguing with your observation or your correlation. Just the conclusion of causation. There were plenty of incredibly violent shows on TV in its early days, what with WWII fresh in every adult's memory, the Wild West having not quite disappeared from real life, and science fiction almost uniformly predicting that every alien species in the universe wants to exterminate us. Cartoon characters in the movies and later on TV were sociopathic grownups or animals.

Yet none of us for a moment succumbed to their role models. We had these really useful resources in our lives called "parents." And we did not have this really useless thing in our lives called "government," hauling our dads off to jail for showing us in explicit physical detail what it felt like to be one of the hapless pets or younger children upon whom the few real idiots among us tried to drop an anvil.

The vast majority of even the youngest children are actually not idiots. They have no trouble distinguishing fact from fiction--which explains why adults have to put so much effort into "teaching" them religion.

Tell me what parent in the real universe lets a child behave like the one in your example? You truly blame the TV for this behavior? I'm not a big fan of foster care but this kid should have been forcibly removed from his parents' custody many years earlier and they should have been prosecuted for negligent child abuse.

Where were the teachers when the first playground melee started among the one-percenters who thought the Banana Splits were real? How many times does a teacher see that going on--when the kids are still small enough to discipline--before wading into it and sending them all home with a note saying that they won't be allowed back until they've each spent six months in a Buddhist monastery? Oh I forgot, all of our educational budget goes to pay seven levels of bureaucrats who spend all day "administering" each other and getting actual university degrees in "Educational Administration," so there isn't enough money to hire competent dedicated teachers and the ones we do hire are overworked with thirty kids per class. And our society permits "No Child Left Behind" so all of them are held back to the level of the ones we used to call "delinquents."

Perhaps our entertainment does have something to do with the behavior of children. But the influence--or more properly the abdication--of the adults in their lives is so much more powerful that it can't be called "contributory negligence." It is the true root of the problem.

9. flatcapman Registered Senior Member

Hello Rocker

It was during the early morning while the teachers were preparing for the days lessions. I came from a small town with a large school. You got to remeber that this happened in the early 80's so things were not as advanced as now. This kid did this without warning and ironicly just after the Banana splits was on for 1 week. It was a new show for the time 1 or 2 years before Cheez TV came on with Winky-dink. I was only 8 when this happened and I watched the excact show they did and yet I displayed no instantic to hit anyone.
    And ratings were very loose back then as parents had no idea of how important they where you want an example I watched Suspria and that was R rated and in front of my parents and they did nothing thou they questioned my taste in films.LOL

FCM

10. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

I think I love you, flatcapman, you seem like you're a bit mentally ill but in a good way.

11. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Films, music, games, etc. play an enormous part in manipulating the masses into conflict and violence. They are extremely effective. Our parents are not our real parents. The violent media is our parents. The violent media is our parents's parents. It is our guide. Our mentor. That which we would rather devote all our attention to over anything else.

12. flatcapman Registered Senior Member

Hello

How do you say that with a straight face I wonder? The media is a one sided view and its mostly falsehoods about games and movies. I know heaps of people who watch the same style of films and they dont kill people. I own 300 horror dvds some of which are on the banned list like New York Ripper yet I dont feel the urge to murder females, eat people or do anything of the sort(Thank god I never watched Salam 128 days of terror or you would start thinking that I eat crap because THEY did..lol).

FCM

13. flatcapman Registered Senior Member

Hello Redarmy

If you think my ideas are a bit out there you should see my views on one elderly gentleman in a Steven Segal film becasue he wore a flatcap. The guy is practicy Elvis to me(well I do call him a king and he knows it) I sent him letters under the name Flatcapman which you can find on Google under that name. He read the letters and (oh my god) his WIFE read the letters.
    I have spoken to her online and she threatened to cut my nutz off if I went anywhere near him. She was quite blunt and rude and refused to let me chat to him. What was she afraid of I wonder? If you have seen the foreigner then a guy his size(build like a tank) has nothing to worry about from me.

FCM

14. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

I'm sure he hasn't, FCM. Write to him again and tell his wife I'll cut her nutz off if she touches so much as a hair on your flatcapped head!!

Speaking of contact with 3rd-rate celebrities, I've got Richard Whiteley's autograph. Mind you, he is dead.

I can tell you're impressed.

15. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

damn germans

get everything thats coming to them

16. flatcapman Registered Senior Member

Hello DevilsReject

The man was East German NOT West. I could tell by the way he ided the gun Dunior was using as the Gestapo used a silmar make and model to kill people he knew in the war suspected of being agasint his nazis over the berlin wall at the time dragged out of their house and shot on little to no evidence.
    Also I belive he was Westernized by his clothes as a 3 piece with flatcap is a British style and NOT a german one thou it was green and black and he looked more like someones most loved Uncle than a nazi.
    Ian Mc Keller played a nazi in "Apt Pupil" but despite his flatcap he had a nasty look about him unlike Jan's charactor whom just looked serious becasue he had a business appointment in England(he was taking the Germany to London flight- trust me on that).

FCM

17. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

18. flatcapman Registered Senior Member

Hello

Not the pub review that was done by a fat balding guy that is not me. Look mostly at The Foreigner movie reviews. The ones with all the gushy reviews I wrote Of Jan. I am from Australia but I have been the the UK to meet a contact I found on Caffmoss

FCM

19. flatcapman Registered Senior Member

I got to admit I am impressed. Dont worry his wife does not know who I am and unless she uses her hubby as bait to flush me out she never will.
    She claims he likes the letters I wrote to him I used words like "buddy" and "Pal" even thou I have never met him in person.
    Jan sent me a photo of himself online in black and white to prove to me he's alive and well and quite possibly to stop me from running Max Ryans head thou the nearest brick wall.

FCM